The BCD436HP is a good radio, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris45

The BCD436HP is a good radio, but...

My Pro-106 appears more responsive to weak digital trunked signals, and remains consistently legible during transmissions. This is not to put down Uniden scanners. My 396XT was the same way and was improved significantly with all of the upgrades. I am hopeful that the 436HP will follow a similar course of improvement.

SCPD

QRT
pro 106

Its more sensitive just like any of the other radio shack or GRE radios.
Uniden is a little bit less in the receive department.
The PSR-800 records individual channels unlike the Uniden.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
When I turned my 436 on this morning, it scanned for quite some time before I heard anything. Really had me worried. So I put my PRO 106 next to it. They both did equally well; both picked up basically the same thing as the other.

That was good news. I'm glad I verified this with the 106. It gave me a sense of both scanners working well.

Greg

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure it's not your particular system? I had 3 different Pro-106' since release. I also had the 197. None of them could do anywhere near as well as my 436 and 536 performed, I have had Realistic and radio shack my whole life and just switched to Uniden and am very thankful I did. I am still learning the differences in the menus and keys but as far as receive, I could not ask for anything more.

Chris45

Are you sure it's not your particular system? I had 3 different Pro-106' since release. I also had the 197. None of them could do anywhere near as well as my 436 and 536 performed, I have had Realistic and radio shack my whole life and just switched to Uniden and am very thankful I did. I am still learning the differences in the menus and keys but as far as receive, I could not ask for anything more.

To be sure, the individual system can impact the performance of a radio as you mentioned. But in my case it is more my home location. By comparison over the past few years the Pro-106 has always pulled in the signals that the Unidens processed as garbled and broken transmissions. Some folks dislike the RS /GRE radios and indicate that they do not "sound" digital. They do not have that "bassy" tone. The Pro-106 sounds analog to me, and actually I find it easier listening. Also, the 106 is extremely user friendly with easy key functionality. Now the 436HP brings some great functionality also, and when I am away from the home location it surely will perform better. So I am a happy customer to both radios. I do not know what Whistler will have in the way of a product line, but it would be great to see one having the qualities of both RS/GRE and Uniden scanners in one radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.