The BCD996XT is garbage compared to the BC780XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTS3000

The online POS manual sucks and does not provide enough detail.

Totally agree. For a $500-600 scanner and Uniden can't provide a paper manual is ridiculous. All Uniden has to do is revise the 396T manual to reflect the new features, so it's not like they even have to start from scratch and write a new manual for the XT.

No paper manual = FAIL

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
No paper manual = FAIL

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

hfxChris

Database Admin
It is beating a dead horse yes, but it's one horse I think Uniden needs to take note of, since for a lot of people that is their #1 problem with these scanners. I can only imagine the fun someone either with no internet access, or who doesn't realize the manual can be found online, would have trying to figure this scanner out. That's of course forgetting the fact that the manual that does exist online is complete trash too; it tells you how to do something, but it doesn't explain anything.
Anyway. My two cents.

SCPD

QRT
Rant

If I could put my 2 cents in..

The fact that Fire-Tone-Out can only monitor ONE frequency and TEN total tone pairs AND cannot do any other functions (i.e. scan, search) at the same time is totally ridiculous.

It reminds me of the first BC235XLT that could not scan trunked and conventional at the same time.

They were able to overcome that somehow.

With dynamic programming you should be able to monitor any number of tone pairs on any number of frequencies while scanning, searching, whatever...or even on a silent standby...

It does work, granted, but functionally its useless..not what I thought I was getting when I shelled out 500 dollars...

If uniden needs a beta tester for newer firmware or usable version of a similar radio I can run it through some very intensive testing..

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
The fact that Fire-Tone-Out can only monitor ONE frequency and TEN total tone pairs AND cannot do any other functions (i.e. scan, search) at the same time is totally ridiculous.

If your scanner was scanning and you were monitoring a conversation while the tones were being sent, would the scanner detect the tones? No. That would require two receivers operating at the same time. ????

SCPD

QRT
tones

you could set that whole tone-out function to be priority... listening silently every 500 ms even on multiple frequencies ...you could set it to listen during conversations or not or both....anything would be better than the way it is now..

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
you could set that whole tone-out function to be priority... listening silently every 500 ms even on multiple frequencies ....

The systems that you were monitoring would have annoying dropouts on the audio. Plenty of people complained about that with close call. Then close call was modidified for close call DND.

you could set it to listen during conversations or not or both....anything would be better than the way it is now..

If it didn't work while conversations were occurring on a scanned channel, would that be acceptable?

SCPD

QRT
tone out

I dont know the answer..I dont know how to acceptably implement it..

I do know that if I knew for sure it worked the way it does I would have not sold my PSR-500..and would have bought a used plectron on EBay to monitor a single frequency and nothing else....which in Fire Tone Out Mode is exactly what you have.

hfxChris

Database Admin
If your scanner was scanning and you were monitoring a conversation while the tones were being sent, would the scanner detect the tones? No. That would require two receivers operating at the same time. ????
Ah yes, I've heard this argument before! In fact I've been told it too, last time I complained about the same thing.

I'll counter with.. say you're listening to command at a fire scene relaying information to the interior crew on the fire talkgroup, are you also going to hear the police dispatcher on the police talkgroup sending out a BOLO for a missing person? No. Say you're listening to a paramedic giving a patient update to a hospital on one talkgroup, are you also going to hear the call going out for a structure fire on the fire talkgroup? No.
I think most of us realize the scanner only receives one thing at a time, yet we've all found ways to work around this, including realizing that if you're going to scan multiple things, you're bound to miss some things from time to time.

People are treating FTO like it's a mission critical system designed to be used by actual fire fighters to respond to calls. As far as I know, it isn't. That's why they have dedicated pagers.

Well now I'm up to four cents in this thread :D

SCPD

QRT
4 cents

you dont have to park the radio on WX to monitor for the 1050 hz alert tone in the background ? why do you have to park the radio on the fire tone out freq to monitor it ?

also when you are monitoring fire tone out..you are going to miss EVERYTHING else...because you cannot monitor anything else

Last edited:

LSEMT219

you dont have to park the radio on WX to monitor for the 1050 hz alert tone in the background ? why do you have to park the radio on the fire tone out freq to monitor it ?

also when you are monitoring fire tone out..you are going to miss EVERYTHING else...because you cannot monitor anything else

Good point. I didn't think about this. I think this should be implemented in an update to work the same as the 1050hz tone.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I dont know the answer..I dont know how to acceptably implement it..

I do know that if I knew for sure it worked the way it does I would have not sold my PSR-500..and would have bought a used plectron on EBay to monitor a single frequency and nothing else....which in Fire Tone Out Mode is exactly what you have.

The FTO function can not work at the same time as scanning since it would require a second receiver, there just is no way around that for any vendor.

There are no Plectron type alert receivers that can work on Alert mode on more than one channel at a time, unless they have 2 distinct receivers. There are alert receivers that have multiple channels and even some that scan, but they can not alert on multiple channels at a time.

I would not buy a 996XT for the FTO function, get a BCT15X instead at half the price. It has the same FTO functionality for $225, and it does just about everything else the 996XT does except digital and multi-color display.

The Uniden Alert (FTO) system is fantastic in that it allows you to program in up to 10 sets of tones, and you can alert on any of those tones. If they are all on the same frequency you can monitor all 10 tone sets at a time. With the 996XT and the BCT15X you can even set the tones to 0 and have it alert on any tone set and display the decoded tones.

I have 10 BCT15, 2 BCT15X, 2 BCD996T, and 2 BCD996XT scanners. The BCT15's are almost always used for FTO alerting, they are a great radio for the job. I even used one at the fire house connected to the building PA when the Federal receiver went out. If it had a relay output to spark the building lights I would have kept using it instead of the Federal.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Good point. I didn't think about this. I think this should be implemented in an update to work the same as the 1050hz tone.

The only reason it can do that with the WX Alert is that the 1050 HZ. tone goes out for at least 7 (actually 10 IIRC) seconds, this allows the scanner to check the WX channel every 5 seconds, if it detects something close to 1050 Hz. it stays and watches for a bit longer, if it detects a true continuous tone it alerts and stays at the WX channel.

FTO doesn't work that way, the tone sets are shorter, they vary, and they are usually 2 different tones. You might be able to make it work on single tones like Motorola QC's "General" tone in which it is really both the A and B tones of the same value but that is only a small segment of the FTO set-ups.

Go-Getter

Go-Getter

I have the BCD996XT and would like to know how to program it manualy ? I have my freq list and I need to know how to program it. I had this scanner pre programed and they didnt put all of the freqs available for the surrounding areas. Pleas advise me on how to add the additional freqs. Also can I set it up so it will show the freq and the name ? I just got this scanner last week and I think I am really going to like it once I get it set up the way that I want it. Thank you very much. aksewell@windstream.net

ElGenio

I have the BCD996XT and would like to know how to program it manualy ? I have my freq list and I need to know how to program it. I had this scanner pre programed and they didnt put all of the freqs available for the surrounding areas. Pleas advise me on how to add the additional freqs. Also can I set it up so it will show the freq and the name ? I just got this scanner last week and I think I am really going to like it once I get it set up the way that I want it. Thank you very much. aksewell@windstream.net

ScanNow.org + all the wiki's= success

Viper43

Why miss anything, buy more scanners :) I have 23 going, one is on FTO 24/7, the rest monitor various fire and police systems localy and surrounding counties.9 of the scanners are going 24/7 in the shop 3 in the car and the rest in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.