The Beauty of Affiliation

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Today around 1230 hours I heard a call on Salt Lake Regional (TG 17760) asking the the SL UHP dispatcher to contact the FD in Helper. He was 3 miles south of Helper and had come upon a motor home or SUV fully engulfed in flame. The officer calling did not know which Zone he needed to go to on his radio in order to talk to Price so he went through the SL dispatcher.

NOW THAT IS AFFILIATION!

Utah_Viper

Today around 1230 hours I heard a call on Salt Lake Regional (TG 17760) asking the the SL UHP dispatcher to contact the FD in Helper. He was 3 miles south of Helper and had come upon a motor home or SUV fully engulfed in flame. The officer calling did not know which Zone he needed to go to on his radio in order to talk to Price so he went through the SL dispatcher.

NOW THAT IS AFFILIATION!

I caught that as well! That is precisely one of the purposes of the regional channels. the officer in did not need to know what the regional for where he was, he did not have to access the local channels, and he still was able to get the proper notifications made.

About a hour later I heard a chase on Utah Regional, then it Switched to Tooele. Two different counties were able to seamlessly communicate, even though they lost the subject vehicle.

Rolfman

This is in line with something that was mentioned during the tour of the TOC. I wish I knew or understood better the dispatchers stations. I was under the impression that the dispatcher could do a patch to "solve" those types of problems.

Observer1

It depends on what is being patched.

For instance, SLCPD can do patches that others cannot, as their dispatch center has the UCAN frequencies and ALL of SLCPD's frequencies. VECC can only patch a few of SLCPD's channels to their stuff etc...it's definitely better than it was, but there are still so many channels that not everyone has everything.

dpalmer2508

I caught that as well! That is precisely one of the purposes of the regional channels. the officer in did not need to know what the regional for where he was, he did not have to access the local channels, and he still was able to get the proper notifications made.

About a hour later I heard a chase on Utah Regional, then it Switched to Tooele. Two different counties were able to seamlessly communicate, even though they lost the subject vehicle.

When that chase left Tooele county and went into Juab County, all communication was lost. No one knew what was going on. Come to find out, officers north of Delta had spiked the car and had the driver under arrest. It made for some interesting listening, but it also showed great cooperation between the jurisdictions that were able to communicate, and the lack of information and cooperation between the jurisdictions that could not.

Junior1970

When that chase left Tooele county and went into Juab County, all communication was lost. No one knew what was going on. Come to find out, officers north of Delta had spiked the car and had the driver under arrest. It made for some interesting listening, but it also showed great cooperation between the jurisdictions that were able to communicate, and the lack of information and cooperation between the jurisdictions that could not.

I heard the end of the chase. Due to Juab being on VHF all traffic was on their S.O. channel but mostly on the Levan Peak UHP repeater (151.220). They both share a west desert repeater (presumably near or on Black Crook or near Eureka) so when they use it I'm as good as there.
The chase picked up on the bypass road between US 6 and SR 132 at the Little Sahara Sand Dunes turnoff off of 6. The Mini Cooper was spiked near the 132 junction and the suspect was in custody on 132. Juab radioed ahead to Millard County who was waiting with spikes at the county line near Lynndyl.
None of the traffic I heard was on VHF Statewide (155.505) but if so it can be patched at dispatch to a cooresponding Regional channel. The central Utah rural dispatch centers have this capability as well for a friend of mine used to dispatch for Millard County. They are not on UCAN but the capability is there for those willing to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.