the best fdny and nypd channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
Hi I have a old radio shack 20channel radio that covers the 154 to 160 vhf hi and 450-512 range and i want to set it up for new york city old what are the best channels to put into this scanner thank u

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
If I were you I'd put in all of FDNY VHF dispatch channels, 6 of them (one dispatch channel for each borough and citywide) I don't think your old scanner will support the new FDNY UHF freqs. The FDNY doesn't announce every call over those channels, but most of the good stuff comes over.

Find out what NYPD Pct areas you'll be in, enter those. And enter NYPD SOD (this freq is for the specialized units like Emergency Service Unit), NYPD Hwy is good, Citywide 1, Detective 1 are good also.

Also don't forget FDNY Ems UHF there are about 2 or 3 freqs per borough, broken up like Brooklyn North, Brooklyn South etc. Ems doesn't use the VHF channels the fire units use

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If I were you I'd put in all of FDNY VHF dispatch channels, 6 of them (one dispatch channel for each borough and citywide) I don't think your old scanner will support the new FDNY UHF freqs. The FDNY doesn't announce every call over those channels, but most of the good stuff comes over.

The VHF and UHF frequencies are simulcast. Anything you hear on a borough's UHF frequency will be heard over the corresponding VHF frequency, and vice versa. The FDNY announces all alarms over the radio.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
The VHF and UHF frequencies are simulcast. Anything you hear on a borough's UHF frequency will be heard over the corresponding VHF frequency, and vice versa. The FDNY announces all alarms over the radio.

Is there a trunked system for NYC?

maalox

if your in pa you better off with the live audio... any fire in nyc if i had a 20 ch scanner this is what i will have in it cw1 470.6875 cw 2 cw 3 470.8625 cw1 461.225 hwy pd 470.8125 sod 470.8375 chopp freqs 123.1 123.05 123.025 123.075 hazolth ems cw160.28 optional mn rr 160.905 bk rr 470.9625 cw ssd school pd 471. 4125 time sqare pd mts mtn 476. 5875 esp 157 pd pct 1 police plaza.. 476.5625 u could look up the ctss brooklyn usps 164.3375 dcs 251

Last edited:

Rudy3145

Feed Provider

As far as I can remember, FDNY does not announce all calls over the radio. I don't recall them announcing ems runs for engine co's and lower priority calls like dumpster fires, rubbish etc. Maybe Frank Raffa can chime in!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yeah sorry about that, I misspoke.

Only 5-7 Signals and above are announced over the air. EMS runs, rubbish fires, water leaks, stuck elevators, etc. are not.

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
If units are in quarters, the calls come over the computer system. Whoever is on housewatch at that time will acknowledge the call via computer, read the printout and announce the call over the firehouse pa system (giving box #, location, type of call, who's going and what the response order is..like 1st due engine, 3rd due truck etc). The system will "gong" by itself though with an automated voice saying whatever is needed ex. "engine" or "ladder"

If units are out of the firehouse they're usually raised over the air via the dispatcher, and calls come over the MDT. Stuff like enroute, on scene is done over computer also, not by voice.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
If units are in quarters, the calls come over the computer system. Whoever is on housewatch at that time will acknowledge the call via computer, read the printout and announce the call over the firehouse pa system (giving box #, location, type of call, who's going and what the response order is..like 1st due engine, 3rd due truck etc). The system will "gong" by itself though with an automated voice saying whatever is needed ex. "engine" or "ladder"

If units are out of the firehouse they're usually raised over the air via the dispatcher, and calls come over the MDT. Stuff like enroute, on scene is done over computer also, not by voice.

Thats pretty awesome. i remember watching some ride along videos from Batallion 10, and all of their information would be displayed on the computer screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.