The Best Way to Connect Scantenna....LMR 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I need the best low loss way to connect LMR 400 to my scantenna. I have and F connector Feed coming off the antenna..Right now I have a Double F connector To connect from the Lead to the Other adapter to go from F to N, then a double N coupling going to The LMR 400, Then when I get into the house I'm splitting rooms so I have a Double N Coupling with another one going from N to F to hook into my splitter.. Is this the best way to do it without signal loss? or is there an easier way? I got all the adapters from http://www.testparts.com ...I think it will work but if there's an easier way I''m open for options!!! Any suggestions, Ideas, complements, complaints, g.(well, you get the picture), will be appreciated!!! Thanks!

zguy1243

use RG11, has F connectors already. Better loss figures if not the same as LMR400. Also a 75 ohm match to the scantenna, not that it matters.

Jody

btritch

I have already got the LMR cable, Trying to figure out the best way to connect it to the F connectors..If I hadn't had the cable already it'd be a different story, But I already have it and I just bought it!!! But Thanks For The RG 6 Suggestion anyways, I'll take that into consideration!

Airdorn

Does it really matter with the usage you'll get out of the scantenna?

Just get a male F to female N adapter for up there at the Scantenna, and then a female N to male BNC adapter to connect to the scanner.

I didn't think there was any significant loss with a couple of adapters with the ranges you'd be scanning most with the Scantenna. (ie, not heavy into the 800's and 900's)

btritch

Airdorn said:
Does it really matter with the usage you'll get out of the scantenna?

Just get a male F to female N adapter for up there at the Scantenna, and then a female N to male BNC adapter to connect to the scanner.

I didn't think there was any significant loss with a couple of adapters with the ranges you'd be scanning most with the Scantenna. (ie, not heavy into the 800's and 900's)

I want to get the best possible as I'm trying to listen to a county about 105 miles away! I can hear them just not clear yet...I was hoping to hear it better...They're on 156 mhz so it shouldn't be that much loss... :p Thanks! I'll do it that way!

fredg

Premium Subscriber
If you want to suck in the county 105 miles away go for a Yagi. If you can just hear them now a Yagi should bring them right in. Do a Google serach for building a Yagi they are pretty simple to build...

k9rzz

Agreed. For a single, distant target ... go yagi, and don't split your feed between two scanners. Do you listen to both at the same time?

Get rid of all those adapters man! Put the right connector on the line right off the bat. Lastly, I struggled finding an F connector that I actually liked

... http://wtfda.info/showthread.php?t=1504

F1.jpg

And that was for 100 mhz ... not 800 ! Here's my stack of 10ft yagis for FM BC ... 100 miles is not easy on FM, I can't imagine it at 800.

antstack.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.