The Big Bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Did anyone else hear that massive BANG last night from Long Grove? A million dollar house exploded about 10:30 pm, and we were about 10 miles away and our house shook. We lost power for a few seconds, and I was pouring coffee at the time and spilled it from the shaking. Very Violent.

The 436 went active, and as I heard they did about a 15-20 station response after the first alarm, which was a call of a fire in the house. Before the FD got there, the gas blew up the house and about 50 other homes were damaged.

Scanner worked well except I do not have ISPERN (?) or another channel, I cannot remember, which I really needed to hear the fireground chatter.

Greg

N9JIG

Sheriff
I live less than 3 miles from the house and the boom shook me out of bed and knocked my cordless phone out of its cradle. I thought a car hit MY house, then looked out the window to see the neighbors all looking for the debris...

I grabbed my 396XT and met up with the neighborhood and kept them all informed. There was constant sirens for over 45 minutes and the radio traffic was awesome.

The Countryside FPD (also serves my neighborhood) did a great job on this and sounded very professional. They called for a box before arriving on scene and a second alarm upon arrival. Since there are no hydrants in the area all the water was tanked.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
It was interesting. I just wrote you a long post than lost the damm thing. Anyhow, can you tell me what channel they all went to when they arrived on scene? I could not hear any of that traffic as I do not have it in my scanner. Something like ISPERN, which I beleve is State police, but what does the FD use? Thanks.

Greg

N9JIG

Sheriff
The majority of the traffic was on 154.265, which is called IFERN. (Interagency Fire Emergency Radio Network), This is the regional mutual aid channel.

Fireground traffic was mostly on 153.830, while I could hear most of it since it was so close, you may not since it is mostly portable radios.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Thats what I was looking for...IFERN. I appreciate your help.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.