The BIG ice of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Here in Cobb county, the last 24 hours have been unimaginable radio traffic wise. The BOE UHF has also been buzzing with buses STILL stuck on the road. I have not monitored any other agencies because there is so much going on around here.

How are the rest of you holding up?

N8IAA

Got about 2" in north Gwinnett. Lots to monitor with Forsyth, Gwinnett, and Hall. The DNR repeater, 159.6/NAC 151 was busy with DNR officers helping in Hall and Forsyth.
My street has melted and is drying. USPS made it yesterday before the snow really got going, and today.
Listening to Hall Event TG's, and they are still busy helping stranded motorists.
Larry

rapidcharger

The "big ice"??? I think you're referring to W.S. Leon?

The mail was delivered today. The roads a passable but there are icy patches on the roads in the shade.
The MOG was supposed to open at 1pm but that was set back yet again. The school buses were the most interesting IMO. Then again my county has made their radio traffic secret.

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Was delivering a wrecked car to travelers and had to head back to the shop and was stuck in traffic with a tow truck and loaded with a wrecked car...lets just say it was a experience for me driving a 6 speed..alot of clutch time..but got to hawkins store and they shut canton rd down so I had to ditch the truck in a parking alot and walk the rest of the way...and had to go home last night with my boss...then this morning we went and got the truck out and drove to the shop the rest of the way to the shop...but it still gel out there and will be all freezing over again tonight you all be safe out there...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

CapStar362

in Rockdale we got 1.25-1.5 of snow, roads froze over last night but have cleared out mostly now. have some video of the neighborhood kids playing. just as the snow started to accumulate around 4PM i checked my phone on google maps. and got the attached image of a Metro ATL traffic shot. the blue dot on the bottom right is me

Color Legend:

Green 45+ MPH
Yellow 20-45 MPH
Red 15-20 MPH
Dark Red <15 MPH

Thank god the clouds cleared out and the sun is relieving us of the ice on roads

and just for FYI: this is now: the second capture

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-28-16-33-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-28-16-33-52.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 351
  • Screenshot_2014-01-29-15-41-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-29-15-41-09.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

K4SVT

Banned
Btw bus was stopped at our shop and off of Blackwell rd..just ditched them for the night...

K4SVT

Banned
Yeah it was pretty bad and I was in the middle of it with a tow truck and wrecked car on my bed...

RRR

Premium Subscriber
^----- William? Is that you? I hope you made it out ok!

K4SVT

Banned
Im fine we made it back to the shop on this ice...it was a experience for me...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
This made the news here in Toronto (right after the Biebs surrendered to Toronto Police), where you think that 2 inches of snow isnt a big deal, but it is, we dont get much snow up here.

But I grew up in Montreal where they do get cold and snow.

Whomever cleans your roads, tell them to purchase road salt. Or sand when it dips below 10f (I doubt you have to worry about that thou). Kitty litter is also effective if you are stuck.

In addition, carry a bag of sand or kitty litter in your trunk. Weight decreases the chance to get stuck.

I dont know if all-season tires are offered. In many places you need winter tires to drive, its the law in Quebec.

Anyways,the weather is moderating and I dont think that you guys will be seeing any snow anytime soon.

CapStar362

hey rapid, what phone you have? that black-red-black combo is the indicator for <10MPH IIRC. the newer android its just dark red

or... was that a PC cap?

rapidcharger

Whomever cleans your roads, tell them to purchase road salt. )))

Whoever cleans our roads?!
rofl.gif

Did you just say whoever cleans...
rofl3.gif
our...
rofl3.gif
roads??!!
rofl3.gif

If we had anyone cleaning the roads, we wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. That's the whole reason the city was paralyzed because nobody did that. I am across the street from one of the DOT maintenance yards where they store the sand and salt and they didn't even salt the road their yard is on. I guess they didn't need to since they had no intention of using any.

(((
Anyways,the weather is moderating and I dont think that you guys will be seeing any snow anytime soon.

Snow is not the problem.
We've still got ice!! As of Friday morning, there are still buses that cannot make their rounds and vehicles slipping and sliding on ice on the roads. I still have ice in front of my house.

I dont know if all-season tires are offered. In many places you need winter tires to drive, its the law in Quebec.

Good luck getting 6 million people plus hundreds of thousands of out-of-staters just passing through on their way in and out of other states to change their tires for a once in every 3 years event, especially one that everyone seems to forget about after a few weeks pass by.

N8IAA

Whoever cleans our roads?!
rofl.gif

Did you just say whoever cleans...
rofl3.gif
our...
rofl3.gif
roads??!!
rofl3.gif

If we had anyone cleaning the roads, we wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. That's the whole reason the city was paralyzed because nobody did that. I am across the street from one of the DOT maintenance yards where they store the sand and salt and they didn't even salt the road their yard is on. I guess they didn't need to since they had no intention of using any.

Snow is not the problem.
We've still got ice!! As of Friday morning, there are still buses that cannot make their rounds and vehicles slipping and sliding on ice on the roads. I still have ice in front of my house.

Good luck getting 6 million people plus hundreds of thousands of out-of-staters just passing through on their way in and out of other states to change their tires for a once in every 3 years event, especially one that everyone seems to forget about after a few weeks pass by.

Priceless, but unfortunately, true:D
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.