The Blantonl Command Post: 3/16/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi Folks,

As many of you know, with the addition of our second child and my wife staying home, my existing "command post" which was crafted in the play room of our house was lost to my wife and children, and I was banned to the bottom guest bedroom to build my office.

Here are the pictures and descriptions:

Below is the overall setup. I now have only two computers, a desktop and a laptop. The desktop is a Mac Pro Dual Processor quad core 2.8 GHz xeon desktop with 6 GB of RAM and 1.3TB of total drive space. It runs both monitors, the 30 inch Mac monitor for web development, email, and standard computer stuff, and the other 20 inch monitor for radio related computer applications. Most of the radio related computer applications run on Windows XP, which is a Vmware Fusion instance running on the Mac. The laptop is a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM.

IMG_2616.jpg

Below is a rack next to the desk that has most of the radios installed in it - minus the two on the desktop. Between all the cable management and equipment heat, a rack to me made the best sense because I really hate cables everywhere.

Installed in the rack are (2) Icom PCR-2500s, a BCD996T, a MA/COM Jaguar 725M, and a Pro-2096. They feed audio and discriminator outputs to two USB external soundcards, and are fed by two stridsberg multicouplers. There is a 7 port USB hub with 3 USB serial adapters all fed back to the Mac. All audio from all the radios terminate to an NCS 3230 audio console which feeds just, yes just - that's right, 2 speakers. The NCS allows me to mute all radios at one, change their output between both, or one speaker, and multiplex them to just those two speakers. It is a lifesaver.

IMG_2619.jpg

Below, you see the NCS-3230 in the center, with an Icom R71 and Icom R8500 on the desk. In addition to all the radios in the rack, they also feed the NCS-3230
IMG_2622.jpg

I am very into computer aided scanning, so I run all the radios through the VMware instance running on the Mac. This is a screenshot of the Windows instance running on the mac and which usually occupies the 2nd screen.
desktop.png

Finally, in the laundry room is a Dell 2950 Server with 2.25TB hard drive space runnning at RAID 50, 12 GB RAM, and 2 quad core xenon processors. This serves as the home file and print server, media server, and staging and test environments for radioreference.com. It runs CENTOS 4 Linux and Vmware Server with about 6 different vmware instances (Windows XP Media Center edition, work related development images, etc)

Enjoy!

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
VERY nice setup! But this line is what REALLY made me begin to drool uncontrollably!:
"The desktop is a Mac Pro Dual Processor quad core 2.8 GHz xeon desktop with 6 GB of RAM and 1.3TB of total drive space."

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
I wish I could be banned to such a nice room!!! 25 years of scanning, and I feel like a rookie next to you and alot of others on the forum. Looks great.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
scansomd said:
VERY nice! What sort of antenna farm do you have supporting your radios?

Two simple antennas.

One discone on the back of the chimney that is well hidden from the homeowners association yet nice and high and overlooks the hill country.

The HF Antenna is a simple loop strung through the juniper trees in the back yard (a triangle loop ~ 150 feet) attached to a nice balancing balan. It is the best HF Antenna I've ever had - and pulls in both Pacific and Atlantic ICAO HF aircraft perfectly.

I'll take pictures tomorrow of the antennas.

SCPD

QRT
wow, very nice, love the radio cabnet. I remember seeing one of your "Command Center" Pic back in the OLD days of 'Trunkedradio.net' you had a little differant set up then but all as nice as today's. but what would one expect from the Admin?

Is the server in the laundry room for any specific reason? does the dryer vent help in cooling?

Nice Software line up too.

CLTX11

Dang wife and kids....gotta love them he he. Looks really good, nice and organized. Thanks for sharing!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm highly envious - being in a condo, a Triangle loop would be a godsend. And which balun are you using to feed it? I assume that it can either be connected to the R71 or 8500 through a splitter?

Where's the 2096? I see what appears to be a PRO2006 under the 996. Or was the 2096 a typo/wishful thinking? Hmm, I see PC-ALE, BCTool, Trunker, TrunkPCR and something else for the San Antonio fire dispatches?

I seem to recall quite a while back you were working on getting a good RF ground set up. At the time you had a ground rod that was surrounded by snow (no doubt that was a long time ago). Did you ever resolve that issue?

It's too clean! Looks super

73 Mike

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Dear God Lindsay!

MAN OH MAN!
6GB Ram 1.3 TB Hard Disk Space ? What are you running? Some kind of a website or something?.....:) Everything looks great Lidsay and very neat. I dont have the ability to have my own monitoring ROOM so my set up is a little cramped. Very Nice!
Looks like a lot of thought and planning went into it.

Manny

scannersnstuff

lindsay,very nice setup.what do you use as far as handheld's ?.if you have time would you post some pic's of them.when i get my shack to where i want it,i'll post pic's.

pathalogical

Very nice ! I also have a huge corner desk similar to yours, only I don't have as many radios to put on it :( Just one thing though, why such a tiny little itty-bitty world map ? Also, are you running each radios built-in speakers ? I see only 2 pc speakers and one little one on the rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.