The Cable Guy Cometh

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6SDF

AKA Scorch
So I just ordered, received, & installed an Electroline UG 2402 Unity Gain 4 port signal amp. from Amazon VIA CableTVamps.com. It does a much better job than the 3 way split with "T" connectors I was using on 3 scanners! Meanwhile we had called COX Cable to come out & look at some issues with one of our TVs. The tech comes out, looks at all of our connectors, splitters, & the Electroline EDA 2400 7db 4 port amp. at the drop & says they all need replaced. I asked if I could keep the amp & he says "sure, no problem" So now I have a 0db and a 7 db amp. Now I'm wondering if I blew the $ on the new amp...which do you think would work better for an 800mhz trunked system about 30 miles away over mountains?

As it stands now I get 100% decode in Trunker and most dispatchers are very readable, it's the mobiles that are scratchy.

Last edited:

LtDoc

I have to think that the results you are getting are 'normal', mobile stations are always going to be more difficult to hear than the typical 'base' station. One of the primary reasons for that is that the 'base' station has a higher antenna (line of sight thingy). Increasing your antenna's height would be the 'simplest' option, not necessarily the easiest though.
Did your 'cable guy' give you a specific reason why all those connections should be replaced? If not, and if you are hearing things reasonably well now, I think I'd 'think' about it before running out and changing everything.
- 'Doc

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
As it stands now I get 100% decode in Trunker and most dispatchers are very readable, it's the mobiles that are scratchy.

What trunking system are you trying to monitor?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
OK, you're using a 4 port 0dB gain amp that quite naturally works better than the old T connector lash-up so what's the problem? That's the way to go to avoid receiver overload and intermod problems that may be encountered with the 7dB gain amp.

No, you didn't waste your money since what you have works as intended and there's nothing you can do about scratchy mobiles, that's how the repeater is hearing them and so is the dispatcher and other mobiles. There is nothing wrong with your setup, the "problem" lies in the radio system.

Status
Not open for further replies.