• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The CB Ham Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

trace1

With what i am hearing these days on HF and UHF VHF,it looks like Ham radio is on the decline and will be going the way of the CB if this keeps up.

What can they do to attract people to this fine hobby,but on the other hand does it really matter.

Well if you're truly that dissatisfied with what you're hearing on the HF, VHF, and UHF bands I might be able to provide a good home to your radios so you wouldn't be bothered by it any more... ;)

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well if you're truly that dissatisfied with what you're hearing on the HF, VHF, and UHF bands I might be able to provide a good home to your radios so you wouldn't be bothered by it any more... ;)

LOL................no Its OK ! I need a couple of Boat anchors ! :0)

elk2370bruce

CW aka Morse Code

'nuff said.
If you buy into this worn out philosophy, the elimination of cw from the amateur radio requirements is also (at least to some with limited lifestyle opportunities) the absence of sunspots, the cause of pattern baldness, global warming, the decline of western civilization, Obama's presidency and gross terminal flatulence om a massive scale. There are some of us recycled hams who actually prefer cw who were not originally licenced before the great disasters of biblical times and the world has not ended, the Sun has not exploded, and the Chinese do not yet own all of America. and our hobby is gaining new devotees - where cw classes have been requested by the newbies. As the old commercial said so well, "where's the beef?" Reading 20 year old QST's, ranting on the Zed and yearning for the "good old days" of amateur radio marks you as an antiquarian who would rather not help elmer the new guys and keep all elementas of our hobby alive - cw included.

petnrdx

I have been a ham for about 40 years. And a life member of ARRL.
As I see it the problem is attracting and keeping younger members, and not be just be the "grey haired old white guys" hobby.
I don't know for certain how we fix that, but some suggestions are:
All the clubs need to work on making EVERYONE that comes to a meeting or a lunch feel comfortable.
Every "interest" in the hobby is a good one for the hobby.
We have to lose the attitude that only "our" favorite pastime ( like 75meter phone or CW nets) is the only legitimate part of the hobby.
Remember when FM and repeaters were considered NOT real ham radio.
Same now with Echolink and IRLP.
We really have to Elmer everybody that we can in all aspects of the hobby(s).

k9rzz

If you buy into this worn out philosophy, the elimination of cw from the amateur radio requirements is also (at least to some with limited lifestyle opportunities) the absence of sunspots, the cause of pattern baldness, global warming, the decline of western civilization, Obama's presidency and gross terminal flatulence om a massive scale. There are some of us recycled hams who actually prefer cw who were not originally licenced before the great disasters of biblical times and the world has not ended, the Sun has not exploded, and the Chinese do not yet own all of America. and our hobby is gaining new devotees - where cw classes have been requested by the newbies. As the old commercial said so well, "where's the beef?" Reading 20 year old QST's, ranting on the Zed and yearning for the "good old days" of amateur radio marks you as an antiquarian who would rather not help elmer the new guys and keep all elementas of our hobby alive - cw included.

I've read this 5 times and I still don't know what you've said.
icon11.gif

jackj

Huh?

Me thinks that Mr. Daniels has paid you an extended visit. I hope it was an enjoyable visit. You really shouldn't try to post messages right after one of his visits.

DX949

Banned
I have been a ham for about 40 years. And a life member of ARRL.
As I see it the problem is attracting and keeping younger members, and not be just be the "grey haired old white guys" hobby.
I don't know for certain how we fix that, but some suggestions are:
All the clubs need to work on making EVERYONE that comes to a meeting or a lunch feel comfortable.
Every "interest" in the hobby is a good one for the hobby.
We have to lose the attitude that only "our" favorite pastime ( like 75meter phone or CW nets) is the only legitimate part of the hobby.
Remember when FM and repeaters were considered NOT real ham radio.
Same now with Echolink and IRLP.
We really have to Elmer everybody that we can in all aspects of the hobby(s).

Would that include the CB hobby also ?

k9rzz

Bah ... it would never work. There would be some 'repeater cop' yelling at 'em because they didn't wait for the courtesy beep.

DX949

Banned
lol......... it would definitely be in the Drama category, :0)

DX949

Banned
Check it out the movie Frequency, it is centered around ham radio.

Hmmmm,I'm going to check that movie out for sure,that one slipped by me,looks promising.

The Munsters,yep the good old days ! :0)

Shortwavewave

I am laughing so hard! out of confusion?? after watching this video

Whats this guys problem? I dont understand why he is dissing Ham Radio when he has them himself????

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
It's extremely dry humor....I almost fell out of my chair laughing the first time I saw it.

He's had death threats from people too dumb to figure it out as humor. Which makes the whole point of it even funnier.

Status
Not open for further replies.