The Command Center of VE5JL 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
Wow! :oops: Very, very nice! Visiting your QRZ biography was well worth the trip too. That is one nice set of equipment. Also, I think I have some Heathkit catalogs from 1974 as that is when I built my SB-102 station which I still have. I'll be in touch via eMail. 73, Dave K4EET

prcguy

Wow, that's more stuff than many police dispatch centers have. I see all the beer steins are standing at attention, ready for immediate action if summoned. Besides the beer steins, what else do you command with all that stuff?

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Wow! :oops: Very, very nice! Visiting your QRZ biography was well worth the trip too. That is one nice set of equipment. Also, I think I have some Heathkit catalogs from 1974 as that is when I built my SB-102 station which I still have. I'll be in touch via eMail. 73, Dave K4EET
Thank you for your kind words Dave. I have some of the 74s but I might not have all of them as I know they put out several. Thank you I look forward to hearing from you.

73s

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Wow, that's more stuff than many police dispatch centers have. I see all the beer steins are standing at attention, ready for immediate action if summoned. Besides the beer steins, what else do you command with all that stuff?
LOL... not beer steins unless you mean Root beer as they're mostly from A&W. I love to listen mostly so I have the ability to RX from 0-30Mhz and the 30- a few gigs. I can also TX on many bands and may get into satellite one day.

73's

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is simply outstanding, and I *think* I recognize some of the gear on the gentleman's left. On the bottom, that appears to be either an Allied AX-190 or SX -190. On the top shelf that appears to be either an Universal M6000 or M7000 decoder and what appears to be an AEA PK-232 model.

Boy does that bring back memories....Mike

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
This is simply outstanding, and I *think* I recognize some of the gear on the gentleman's left. On the bottom, that appears to be either an Allied AX-190 or SX -190. On the top shelf that appears to be either an Universal M6000 or M7000 decoder and what appears to be an AEA PK-232 model.

Boy does that bring back memories....Mike
Thank you! Maybe one day when I get it all going I'll ask for some advice. Is there even something worth decoding with them any more?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes indeed there is, and it's called NAVTEX. This is found on several longwave frequencies, and any decoder - including that Universal - that can handle SITOR-B can handle NAVTEX. This is because the protocols are very close. FAX weather charts (and in your case, you might have a better shot at the Japanese language prints) are also a possibility. But we're getting OT here - ask in our SW Data Decoding forum when you are ready, and the UDXF folks have lots of resources too....Mike

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
My command center not yet finished. ALONG was from finished as I've dismantled it to be rebuilt in the future. A very nice TX/RX post.

Now THAT'S a ham shack!!!

Might even be able to adapt something similar to my shack at home. Looks like a wintertime project starting to percolate in my brain. . .

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Very, very nice radio shack Joe!

Really like the rack mounted Icom gear.
Miss my R71A and R-7000.

Thanks for sharing!

Commscanaus.

I've used all major brands of radios but Icom is my favorite.
160731_200101.jpg

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Looks like fun. How about a list of your:
- Antennas
- Splitters
- Filters
- Preamps

Oh...I almost forgot. How is your torroid situation?

Last edited:

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Looks like fun. How about a list of your:
- Antennas
- Splitters
- Filters
- Preamps
It's been dismantled at the moment. It had to be moved so most of it is in boxes.

I was working on the radios and getting it 100% operational from the front-end. What you see is not done and I needed to finish off my last monitor on the 3rd rack, and add 4 24hr UTC clocks as well as a few other radios.

The antennas at the time were a

Discone for Scanners - I used a splitter amp but I cannot remember the name of it.

G5RV for SWL that used to be used on HF but wasn't long enough because of a storm so I just used it for SWL and it worked great.

HF vertical 10-80 meters
11 Meter vertical
10 Meter vertical

The plan was to install a few towers that I have to get up a few beams. Maybe in the next few years.

For now just inside operation.

Hopefully, once I get back out there in the spring I can make videos of the progress and post that on my YouTube Channel.

73's

Status
Not open for further replies.