The Comprehensive Guide To Military Monitoring 2nd Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveDouglass

I'm seriously toying with writing a 2nd Edition - an e-pub version of my (very dated) Comprehensive Guide To Military Monitoring - but first I need to see if there is interest - and if any (or all) MILCOM/MILAIR hobbyists would like to contribute to the project. All contributors would be given free copies of the finished e-book.

Let me know what you think - and suggestions to what you'd like to see in a new book.

- Steve Douglass

cacherjoe

Just curious if you did write this. I would love to see it.

Edit: Sorry didn't notice that this was posted today. I would applaud your efforts in moving ahead with this. being ex military, it's an area I am interested in and having it in ebook format would not only make it easy to make edits easy, but also allow the users to carry it with them everywhere.

Please keep us posted

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Steve while I can't say that I could contribute I think your ebook idea is a very good one. That way you can update only the sections you need to do. I applaud your forward thinking

best regards...Mike

nyair1

Always looking for Milair info. Would be glad to give you what info I have.

eagleswings01

Steve,

I would be interested! Do you have a link to view your first version? I know you said it is dated, but I'd like to see a couple pages of your writing style and layout.

Complete newbie question - your book would be for any scanner (digital or analog) as it is based on aviation, is that correct?

Thanks again,
Michael

abear27

I would be interested in buying a copy when it comes out, even if most of it was based on the U.S.A. There's usually some interesting bits of information I can gleam from having a resource like this.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Steve,

I'll buy one, too.

In the 2nd edition, it's a different world (post 9/11, etc.). Regardless, there are those who still monitor the HF, VHF, and UHF military bands. Also, there are those in the scanning community who know little to nothing about milcom. For input, I would suggest something on the order of an encyclopedia, with updated callsigns, frequencies/frequency bands, and a supporting blog with daily updates...

....and in your spare time, how about another book of fiction (I clearly enjoyed your last endeavor, "The Interceptors Club").

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
I can give you inputs for Fort Rucker in SE Alabama. I can monitor the aircraft using the MOA's in SE
Alabama and SW Georgia and the panhandle of Florida. I can't tell which MOA is which but I can hear
Milair traffic all the time. I can only list freqs that I have heard traffic on, but not what specific MOA / base they are from or using. I haven't listened for AWACS using Eglin in a while, but will see if they are
on the same freqs they were using way back.Eglin and Tyndall seem to have cut back along with the rest of the US I think. $$$$!!!!!!

Mil

nycap

i never get much

everytime i monitor the military bands all i get is strange sounds that my receivers cant decode. so im guessing all their stuff is scrambled. i know that the radios they put in most airframes come with encrytption options standard. what is it? "type 1" ? for classified comminications? yeah i kinda gave up on the military bands.

w2xq

Mentor
Always looking for Milair info. Would be glad to give you what info I have.

I'm directly under the glideslope to the longer runway at WRI, inside the outer beacon and about 9.25 miles from the runway. Too far for towers, but incoming aircraft? Yesterday morning "heavy" (probably C-130s) were landing every 5 minutes for 2 to 3 hours, using ILS and the cockpit personnel were commenting on a light cloud deck at 700 feet. Apparently the planes were just on top of the cloud deck this day; I couldn't see any planes. I have no idea what the many landings meant, but you can always tell there is military action afoot when normally there is a landing every 1-2 hours. One cat thought it was thunder, and scooted under the bed for the duration. Both scanners bounce off tables when aircraft squawk over the house.

The -106 hit list shows 36 communications to WRI in the last 24 hours in what I would call a "normal" day (not withstanding it being Veterans' Day).

For whatever it is worth, I also scan the WRI 363.8 and 388.2 MHz approach frequencies. I have never heard aircraft on those frequencies during all the years I've lived here. The only active frequency seems to be 124.15 MHz. From time to time private light aircraft -- not many and not that often -- change from the UNICOM frequencies to 124.15 MHz to alert the WRI tower controllers they are crossing the WRI glideslope.

And a side comment. I did see Bush's USAF One -- very neat -- passing over the house, flying into WRI, some weeks after 9/11 when the towers were still smoking. They didn't want to land at JFK or ERI as chaos was still loose in Manhattan and Jersey City. The cable H2 (previously History International) is currently running a show about the care and feeding of Air Force One. The processes are incredible. It was filmed during the Bush presidency. I saw the show in the last few days, and no doubt it will be shown again.

Hope this helps a bit.

dwlyons

Residing in the “burb’s” west of DC, near P40, as well as several other installations, 9-11 altered the level and intensity of the mil traffic in the area substantially. Quite a few civilian aviators have gotten to meet some very interesting folks with “credentials” they wish they never would have. Some, no longer aviators.

Technology has also, and will continue to evolve to higher levels, both with air and ground traffic.

Your revitalization of the earlier effort is definitely in order and as you yourself believe, in order.

I would be willing to offer what information I could to enhance your efforts.

Tech792

I actually still have the first addition from back in the mid 90's (I think), and it was a great reference over the years. But now with frequency info all over the internet, I don't think a book would be worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.