• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The death of 800 MHz Nextel iDEN network (in pictures-spectrum view before and after)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpryor

I have attached an SDRSharp spectrum view showing the before and after picture from the death of the 800 MHZ Nextel iDEN network this weekend.

Sprint shut down the Nextel iDEN network this morning Sunday, June 30th at 12:01 AM.

The spectrum view captures iDEN activity as seen between 862-865 MHz in the Toledo Ohio area at 8:00 PM last night. This portion of spectrum had the most remaining Nextel activity from viewing last night, in the past, even more iDEN signals would have been present. Spectrum view from 8:00 AM in the morning, all that remains is a control channel signal from an unrelated Type I SMR, and maybe another signal from a noisy idle transmitter.

See also: Sprint Pulls Plug on Nextel iDEN Network Tonight | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Attachments

• 800 MHz Nextel Before and After Small.jpg
    800 MHz Nextel Before and After Small.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 2,900

SCPD

QRT
Remember what iDEN stood for:

i-Interference
D-Designed
E-Exclusively for
N-Nextel

And don't forget the whole rebanding mess. Our city did get new 800MHz radios and a P25 system out of it so it was good for some.

szron

It's a shame. It was a only "true-PTT" system not based on internet packets. I mean Zello works nice but they delays in EDGE areas are pretty bad.

Grab them Nextels though. The DirectTalk feature utilizing 900MHz ISM band can still be used and is a nice alternative for FRS with more features.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I miss my Nextel service. We had the best coverage here; then Sprint switched us over to their service and now we have zero bars at my house and the PTT service on their network just plain sucks. Having to cycle power on the phone just to get it to PTT is rediculous.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
It will be nice not having so much high power RF in the 800 MHz band anymore - it should allow the weak front ends of our scanners to be a bit happier :)

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Interesting. I think TELUS in Canada is continuing its iDEN network for a while yet (if not, there are some very surprised ambulance services in my area as of today!).

It's too bad the chunk hasn't been returned to PS use/"ownership". It'd be nice to have 764 straight through to 869 (less "cellular" of course) for our use.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
we still have Southern LINC, a regional iDEN system operated by the Southern Company, a large multi-state electric utility company- they migrated from 800MHz AMSS type II trunking in the mid 1990's. They built out quite a network that has coverage in very rural areas, and their sites are hardened (it is after all, the power company's primary radio system).

My understanding it this will eventually be phased out and replaced with either tier 3 DMR or TETRA.

alwayslookin

So I am understanding that nextel is no longer? I just seen an ad on tv for the sprint admirial phone with ptt is that not nextel anymore? Im lost on this.

gtaman

It's a shame. It was a only "true-PTT" system not based on internet packets. I mean Zello works nice but they delays in EDGE areas are pretty bad.

Grab them Nextels though. The DirectTalk feature utilizing 900MHz ISM band can still be used and is a nice alternative for FRS with more features.

Exactly who wants sometimes a two watt 900mhz walkie for 10 bucks I have 5.

gtaman

So I am understanding that nextel is no longer? I just seen an ad on tv for the sprint admirial phone with ptt is that not nextel anymore? Im lost on this.

You can still have PTT it just doesn't use iDEN. It uses 3G and so on. iDEN had its downfalls but please PTT of 3G sounds like pure crap probably worse than any p25 garble I've heard.

quarterwave

RIP Nextel...I remember your infancy. Your stellar ARPU for the time will never be forgotten. I believe Nextel was the only US carrier to have operated in the black, at least prior to Sprint sinking the boat.

sphipps

RIP Nextel...

I work in the shipping industry and knew many LTL carriers that relied on Nextel. Now and then drivers would let me use their handsets to talk to their dispatch. They worked well and sounded great.

Didn't Boost Mobile at one time market some prepaid iDEN phones?

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
RIP Nextel...

I work in the shipping industry and knew many LTL carriers that relied on Nextel. Now and then drivers would let me use their handsets to talk to their dispatch. They worked well and sounded great.

Didn't Boost Mobile at one time market some prepaid iDEN phones?

Boost is owned by Sprint and did sell prepaid service on the Sprint iDEN network. At one time, Boost was offering $30 a piece for every Boost branded iDEN phones sent in, as long as they powered up- just to get them off the market.

PTT over cellular is a joke. It is UNRELIABLE compared to iDEN for VOICE DISPATCH. Which is a good thing, lots of those displaced have moved to MotoTRBO and NexEDGE networks operated by local ESMR operators, and paying much less for airtime. Granted the equipment is more, but you have something that you could theoretically put up your OWN infrastructure and not pay anyone else for dispatch airtime.

It won't be like it was in the 1990s, but a few SMR's around here are raking it in since Sprint announced the shutdown of the iDEN.

ecps92

Glad to hear that I am not the only one with those issues, altho talking to Sprint ID10T's it appears I was :)

I miss my Nextel service. We had the best coverage here; then Sprint switched us over to their service and now we have zero bars at my house and the PTT service on their network just plain sucks. Having to cycle power on the phone just to get it to PTT is rediculous.

sphipps

Glad to hear that I am not the only one with those issues, altho talking to Sprint ID10T's it appears I was :)

Agreed. Nextel was great all around here. Sprint has always been poor all around here.

I tried Sprint about 8 years ago and cancelled during the trial period. I tried them again last year thinking surely their service had improved over time... and again cancelled.

I won't be trying them a third time no matter what.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
It was really strange looking at the spectrum analyzer this morning and seeing 862-869 completely empty. Not a single signal out there.

rapidcharger

Agreed. Nextel was great all around here. Sprint has always been poor all around here.

I tried Sprint about 8 years ago and cancelled during the trial period. I tried them again last year thinking surely their service had improved over time... and again cancelled.

I won't be trying them a third time no matter what.

Good to know.
I keep hearing how great Sprint is but been afraid to switch.
I'll save myself the anguish.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
The death of 800 MHz Nextel iDEN network (in pictures-spectrum view before and

Good to know.
I keep hearing how great Sprint is but been afraid to switch.
I'll save myself the anguish.

Rapid, I'm not too pleased with Sprint, either. Lots of dropouts, slow with data.

I won't be renewing my contract, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.