The Desk Rack of 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the power blocks sold for RV use. I've got one in the rack cabinet holding my scanners and it works a treat; uses standard automotive blade fuses and made the wiring so much neater. Also have one in the truck for all the aftermarket stuff (ham rig, amplified scanner speaker, etc), and another in my portable battery box.

Those are nice! I purchased a 12 circuit version.

N9JIG

Sheriff
If you look very carefully behind the Home Patrols you will see 4 4x2 inch speakers. I mounted them to the underside of the cabinet.

I ran the cabinet for several weeks with no external speakers with no problem but then tried a couple I had laying around and they worked even better so I got a couple more and set them up.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I’m concerned after seeing your full rack listed in the classifieds. You’re not getting out of the hobby are you? Moving?

fires999

Rich,
Amazing cabinets, congratulations from over here in England !!!
Do you mind if I ask a quick question ? In one of the earlier posts, at the start of the build, you mention and I think show the installation of a multi-coupler ? Am I right in thinking that's to try and support the numerous antenna sockets that need filling ? lol..may I ask which make you are using ? And what is the performance like ?
Thankyou in advance,
K (East of England)

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Rich uses this multi-coupler setup as pasted from his classified ad.

• 2 Stridsberg MCA208 Multicoupler (8-port wideband)
  • 1 Stridsberg MCA204 Multicoupler (4-port wideband)
  • 1 Stridsberg MCA804 Multicoupler (4-port 700/800 MHz.)
As for performance YMMV but that stats are on Home

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Rich uses this multi-coupler setup as pasted from his classified ad.

• 2 Stridsberg MCA208 Multicoupler (8-port wideband)
  • 1 Stridsberg MCA204 Multicoupler (4-port wideband)
  • 1 Stridsberg MCA804 Multicoupler (4-port 700/800 MHz.)
As for performance YMMV but that stats are on Home

That’s his big rack. This thread is about his small desktop rack. I think he only uses one in it.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich,
Do you mind if I ask a quick question ? In one of the earlier posts, at the start of the build, you mention and I think show the installation of a multi-coupler ? Am I right in thinking that's to try and support the numerous antenna sockets that need filling ? lol..may I ask which make you are using ? And what is the performance like ?
Thankyou in advance,
K (East of England)
The multicoupler is sort of an amplified antenna splitter. It not only allows you to connect multiple radios to one antenna but includes a preamp to overcome insertion loss. It also provides excellent isolation between radios.

I have an 8-port for the Desk Rack so I only need a single antenna run to it from the patch panel. In my larger cabinet there are several to support the 20 scanners.

KD2ZUX

Premium Subscriber
love love love the setup. Hope one day I can get mine that built up and functional. Great job!

enCrypt

Rich,
Thankyou in advance,
K (East of England)

Hi "K",

Cross Country Wireless do a 5 port multicoupler here in the UK, see link below.
I use one and I've had no problems at all.

Cheers
enCrypt

Listen365

Premium Subscriber
Rich, thanks for sharing your shack through the months and years. I have used a few of your ideas with success. I really like your smaller set up, I have a small room and am looking into working with SDRs in the near future. Phil at Scanner School has a good starter course, I have signed up for.

K1MLG

Premium Subscriber
Great to see this terrific setup. I have been designing my new arrangement based on the AudioRax components. It is helpful to see them in actual use.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I ordered a new rack panel from Alberta Radio Supply to accommodate the SDS200 and it arrived today. I swapped out the BCD996XT's and replaced one with the SDS200 and the other with a BCT15X.

The new panel is great and ARS has been a joy to work with.

The new layout for the Desk Rack is 2 BCD536HP's, an SDS200 and a BCT15X with a Pro2052 and a BCT15X on top for now.

The big Radio Cabinet will be going away next month, more on it's replacement is upcoming. For now I can say that there is another product from AudioRax on the way. Once that is done it is likely that the PRO2052 and BCT15X on top of the Desk Cabinet will no longer be needed.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I ordered a new rack panel from Alberta Radio Supply to accommodate the SDS200 and it arrived today. I swapped out the BCD996XT's and replaced one with the SDS200 and the other with a BCT15X.

The new panel is great and ARS has been a joy to work with.

The new layout for the Desk Rack is 2 BCD536HP's, an SDS200 and a BCT15X with a Pro2052 and a BCT15X on top for now.

The big Radio Cabinet will be going away next month, more on it's replacement is upcoming. For now I can say that there is another product from AudioRax on the way. Once that is done it is likely that the PRO2052 and BCT15X on top of the Desk Cabinet will no longer be needed.

Absolutely, (y) on Alberta Radio Supply on eBay. Great rack plates and fast shipping, considering they come from Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.