• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The Dreaded TK-3207 Bootleg And It's Elusive Test Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So some months ago a guy brings a 3207 into my shop and wants me to program it for him. I tell him sure, but ask him where he got it because I had never heard of that model before. He finally fesses up that he bought it online from China and couldn't get it to program. Being one to never turn away a paying job as easy as programming a portable, I agree to give it a shot after I explain to him why buying a "real" radio from the dealer is always a better idea. After hours of tinkering with every version of KPG-87D I could find, multiple versions of windows, multiple types of programming cables, and every COM setting windows would allow, I finally found a sweet spot where I could both write and read the program. Charged the guy $130, which he was happy to pay, and sent him on his way. Well about a month later another guy shows up with a 3207. He gets the same spiel and after 15min of programming, I'm $130 richer.
This is where the problem starts... Word must be getting out about these cheap Chinese Kenwoods. It seems like every time I search for radios on ebay the 3207 is there. I've had five 3207's this last month come in to be programmed. One of those needs a bit of tuning... which I have never been able to get to work. I honestly make more money programming these bootlegs than I do selling them the real McCoy. It would be absolutely fantastic if I could make a little more from tuning these 3207's up as well.

Anyone willing to share any tips or pointers on getting into test mode with a TK-3207??

Thanks!

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
I have never come across one, but I did come across it looking at Ebay for accessories for a few 3200 and 3200l radios that I acquired.

I have some questions: are these on the same chassis as the 3200 and L? Will the case parts interchange?

It would be nice if I could purchase the 3207 rebuild kit for under $5.00 on Ebay and rebuild my rentals. I am going to try one and see how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.