The dreaded "what should i get?" question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakjak1960

I was into scanner radio listening from the Realistic radio days until about 2005. I loved my BC235xltTrunktracker! Life changes happened... So now I'm looking at getting a new handheld Scanner radio. My budget tops out about $350. I have not heard of Whistler brand before today. What would you recommend? Toledo, Ohio suburb, called Waterville. The whole region is digital now. I wonder if i can find trunktracker?
Thanks!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
not set in cement. What are you thinking? could probably push it to 450 (but don't tell the wife) ;)
Check this post:

No idea how long the price will hold, but Amazon has the 436HP for $399.20.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I was into scanner radio listening from the Realistic radio days until about 2005. I loved my BC235xltTrunktracker! Life changes happened... So now I'm looking at getting a new handheld Scanner radio. My budget tops out about $350. I have not heard of Whistler brand before today. What would you recommend? Toledo, Ohio suburb, called Waterville. The whole region is digital now. I wonder if i can find trunktracker?
Thanks!
Let me add that I looked up your county (Lucas) in the database. Apparently, your county is using this system:

I see that the countywide site for Lucas County on that system is simulcast, which can be a major pain to deal with. Here's a map of the sites:
1658107778172.png

In simulcast areas, reception is extremely location specific. If you are in the right spot, such as very close to one of the transmit towers (like a quarter mile), the strong signal from that transmitter may override the out of sync signals from other locations. If your location is such that hills, or a few tall buildings are disrupting the signal from all but one tower, you may be ok. It can be so location specific that even moving the scanner a few feet one way or another may make all the difference in the world. Of course, when you are out and about in your vehicle, all those bets are off.

More on Simulcast can be found in the Wiki:
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

If you purchase from a dealer that does not heavily penalize you for returning the scanner if it does not work in your area. Amazon, ScannerMaster, and (I believe) Bearcat Warehouse may be 'buyer friendly' in these situations.

Do not pay any dealer to program a scanner for you. That option is overpriced. On a database scanner such as Uniden's x36HP or SDS series scanners, you can update the database and then scan using your location, range, and selected service types. There is also a lot of help available here in the forums, in the Wiki, as well as a growing collection of "how to..." videos on YouTube.

blakjak1960

WOW! What a great amount of info! I'm printing this out...
I'm thinking the BCD436Hp should be a good fit for me. I do have access to a home tv tower that i can mount an external antennae to. Probably about 35-40 feet up and no "line of sight "obstructions in any direction.
I do feel like I'm a true Newbie (again)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Let me add that I looked up your county (Lucas) in the database. Apparently, your county is using this system:

I see that the countywide site for Lucas County on that system is simulcast, which can be a major pain to deal with. Here's a map of the sites:
View attachment 124572

In simulcast areas, reception is extremely location specific. If you are in the right spot, such as very close to one of the transmit towers (like a quarter mile), the strong signal from that transmitter may override the out of sync signals from other locations. If your location is such that hills, or a few tall buildings are disrupting the signal from all but one tower, you may be ok. It can be so location specific that even moving the scanner a few feet one way or another may make all the difference in the world. Of course, when you are out and about in your vehicle, all those bets are off.

More on Simulcast can be found in the Wiki:
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

If you purchase from a dealer that does not heavily penalize you for returning the scanner if it does not work in your area. Amazon, ScannerMaster, and (I believe) Bearcat Warehouse may be 'buyer friendly' in these situations.

Do not pay any dealer to program a scanner for you. That option is overpriced. On a database scanner such as Uniden's x36HP or SDS series scanners, you can update the database and then scan using your location, range, and selected service types. There is also a lot of help available here in the forums, in the Wiki, as well as a growing collection of "how to..." videos on YouTube.
Steve I went and looked up Lucas County, and was about to post when you did, you beat me to it. Yep original poster you're probably going to end up spending a lot more money than you dictated, if you order the 436 make sure to keep it in pristine condition unpacking carefully so you can repack it and return it in the same condition. It's not a broken radio, it's just maybe the wrong radio. Hopefully the restocking fee won't be too high. Good luck...

By the way, look up the system on the Ohio State forum that Steve pointed out and see what they use and what they're comments are before wasting your time..

The 436 is pretty long in the tooth, introduced in 2014, Uniden makes new radios at well over twice the cost you are suggesting. That's something you need to look into but... you get what you pay for to have something work properly. Good luck to you. :)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
WOW! What a great amount of info! I'm printing this out...
I'm thinking the BCD436Hp should be a good fit for me. I do have access to a home tv tower that i can mount an external antennae to. Probably about 35-40 feet up and no "line of sight "obstructions in any direction.
I do feel like I'm a true Newbie (again)
It may sound contradictory, but in dealing with Simulcast, often "less is better". A rooftop antenna is fine for trying to grab signals from more distant locations. But when simulcast is involved, "less" antenna may be to your advantage. In quite a few cases, a short stubby antenna, such as often recommended for use at, say, a NASCAR event, may reduce the out of sync, conflicting, signals from more distant sites. Some people have even gone so far as to use a paperclip.

blakjak1960

Years ago, I found RadioReference and was always amazed at the depth of knowledge to be found. But the greatest asset is the amazingly helpful, friendly and professionalism of each person that has helped me along the way. I've been away for many years, yet you folks have make me feel like i never left...thank you!

blakjak1960

I will test out the rubber ducky and see what that gets me...
Thanks again! I gotta get to sleep. 560 mile drive (truck driver) tomorrow. 4a.m. will come pretty fast. I will find you again soon i hope! Good night...

donc13

Premium Subscriber
If you want to use it in your truck... Your first "update" should be a GPS for the radio. That won't help with the simulcast issue, but will help you know what's going on on the road ahead of you.

n5ims

One thing that will make your purchase a lot happier for you is that once you buy your new scanner (or at least once you're past the "free, no questions asked return period") is to simply stop shopping. If you continue to keep looking at the scanner market, you'll keep second guessing your purchase and not be as happy with it as you should be. Once you buy remember that was your best choice at the time you made your purchase given the restrictions you had and don't look back. Just enjoy your new scanner and have fun!

GILLIG40

Premium Subscriber
I live in Waterville also. Trying to listen to the NWORPSS site in a vehicle you’ll need either and SDS scanner or a Unication G4 or G5. The simulcast is terrible around here. I have an SDS200 that works great in my F150. Also works great in my basement. I have a Remtronix antenna. I also have an old BCD996T that works pretty well by my back patio doors. If try to take that in my truck I want to toss it out the window. In Ohio Radio Discussion Forum there will be more local people that maybe able to answer more questions for this area

Status
Not open for further replies.