The end of scanner development and mfg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm of the opinion it is a dying hobby unless some legislation is passed lifting the ban on monitoring encryption. Why I don't see that happening, most departments that did switch to the other bands were doing it to "get away from scanners". They finally have done it this time...at least for now.

We do need to look in the mirror and ask ourselves, did we do that? Streaming on cell phones is the new reasons given and assume all listening are criminals. Elimination of that aspect might start pushing departments in the other direction and as many know, it's not as easy any more correctly programming a trunking system. Radio Shack is gone, and RR is the only game in town.

Even if they lift the ban on monitoring encryption there is no scanner available to the public that can do so. All they need to do is turn encryption off. Public safety did not switch to other bands to get away from scanners as you say. Radio Shack is not gone, and what do they have to do with Radio Reference? They had/have nothing in common. Your post is very confusing. o_O

sfb88

While we are talking about markets and monitoring, how is VHF marine doing? Could be loss of scanner sensitivity but I heal a lot less non-commercial marine traffic lately. I suspect it has transferred to cell phones. I have even heard the Coast Guard ask for and offer cell numbers.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
While we are talking about markets and monitoring, how is VHF marine doing? Could be loss of scanner sensitivity but I heal a lot less non-commercial marine traffic lately. I suspect it has transferred to cell phones. I have even heard the Coast Guard ask for and offer cell numbers.

Cell phones are so much clear than marine VHF, plus they give GPS coordinates, transmit pictures etc.

radio3353

Cell phones are so much clear than marine VHF, plus they give GPS coordinates, transmit pictures etc.

Same can be said for CB, amateur radio, business band and the list goes on and on. Cell phones have been a game changer for many types of communication. As the baby boomers retire, the next generation up has all they need (and want) in the palm of their hand. And I see it creeping into public safety - "Unit xyz, call communications", EMS using cell phones to communicate with hospitals, police detectives using cell phones instead of radios, MDTs. Nothing stays the same - a new era in communications is coming or is here and it ain't heard on a scanner and never will be. Watch an episode of 'Cops' or 'Live Rescue' and see how much time the officer/EMT/fire truck officer spends looking at the MDT vs talking on the radio.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Even if they lift the ban on monitoring encryption there is no scanner available to the public that can do so. All they need to do is turn encryption off. Public safety did not switch to other bands to get away from scanners as you say. Radio Shack is not gone, and what do they have to do with Radio Reference? They had/have nothing in common. Your post is very confusing. o_O

Back in the 70's, I remember reading an article from a newspaper (long before internet..lol), and the police chief from a south suburban Chicago department switched to 800 mhz. because , "they knew no scanners could monitor them". That turned out later on to be a non-issue. In today's world, replace encryption with 800 mhz. Many departments claim "officer safety" when they justify encryption because scanners can't monitor them.

Before their was a need for UHF-T/800 mhz/trunking..the list goes on, their weren't any scanners available to monitor those bands either. If their is a market, they will figure it out.

Radio Shack has closed it's doors all around by me, and the only way we could find anything out was to buy a Police Call directory to get frequency information. Now you can get immediate updates at Radio Reference....so it's the only game in town.

Public Safety monitoring is the driving force behind the scanner market. While their might be a smaller market for marine or railroad monitoring, public safety is what most of us purchase them for. Uniden has resolved the simulcast issue for may of us, and unless something changes legally, I also think it's heading into obscurity down the road.

WB9YBM

There is no way the scanner market will survive without PD and Fire. Plus the baby boomers are starting to slowly leave this planet and the Millennials are not buying scanner radios as they are glued to video games and smart phones. DMR and NXDN will not keep the scanner market alive either down the road. Plus there is so much of a need these days for privacy and security which will eventually kill the scanner market as it is already.

The same thing can be said (unfortunately) about anything that does NOT involve staring at a cell 'phone like an enraptured zombie...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's how you break it. I don't mean break it in the sense of hacking the tech, we break it by fighting it all the way to the Supreme Court. Need a very staunch or very strong argument that can withstand dismissal. Cellphones need it in a big way. That's a big reason I don't want the tech hacked. It must be done via the Constitution.

Maybe, but that's a lot of work and a lot of money for hobbyists.

Law enforcement already has an established need for encryption, so fighting that is likely not going to go too far.
As for accountability, the argument will be that recordings are already available via freedom of information requests.

Real time monitoring for hobbyists might be a "nice to have" thing, but there's little in the way of valid justification on why law enforcement needs to change the way they do their job to benefit scanner hobbyists. With internet, cell phones, location based SMS messaging, etc. if the PD wants the publics help, they have ways of getting it, and it doesn't rely on a hobbyist having a scanner. Cell phones are ubiquitous, and it's easy enough to send out alerts. The town I live in does it frequently, including "we're looking for this guy" type messages.

I understand what you are saying, but the appeasing the monitoring hobbyists isn't a big enough reason to ban encryption.

Nothing to stop you from trying, though. It'll be a long uphill battle that'll require a load of money.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If those are all the "real" reasons why public safety began to encrypt how do you explain Live PD TV? As I said before, not only do they let you hear everything, they let you see everything. You even hear the officers express their personal feelings, their fears and strategies, tricks, deceptions. Even in heat of a barricaded gunman they let you hear and see in every detail how and where they surround the subject, what weapons they're using, where they're hiding, how many there are. They discuss in advance who they're going to believe or trust and whom they're going to arrest. In numerous episodes the suspects themselves are watching them on TV, listening and seeing their every move! So how do law abiding scanner listeners endanger officer's safety? But PD have no problem exposing everything for money! Lots of money!

rs16

Premium Subscriber
As others have said, encryption is going to slowly kill the hobby it seems. If there's a way to fight encryption, it has a chance to continue. Manufacturers can always develop the technology to monitor more complex radio modes/systems, but nothing can be done about the E. There likely will be radios for many purposes for years to come, but public safety monitoring is only going to get more restricted it seems, unless someone can legally mount a challenge to it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Everything I've read about LivePD indicates agencies receive no monetary compensation for their participation in the show.

Someone is getting paid I'm quite certain. Maybe the counties or state, then maybe departments are compensated with funds for addition gear. There would be nothing wrong with that. But why is ok to agree to do the show when they don't even want us listening to very limited audio?

BK87

I understand why law enforcement would want to adopt encryption but the question is how common or how many cases are there across the country where police operations were negatively affected by scanners assisting bad guys?
Also why would fire departments need encryption security? Is it a rare trend for FDs to adopt encryption or it’s happening often?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I understand why law enforcement would want to adopt encryption but the question is how common or how many cases are there across the country where police operations were negatively affected by scanners assisting bad guys?
Also why would fire departments need encryption security? Is it a rare trend for FDs to adopt encryption or it’s happening often?

I think the biggest concern is liability rather than officer safety. Think of the numerous news stories when dispatch mishandles a real emergency and someone dies. With FD & EMS there may be HIPPA concerns.

HIPPA

Then again they have the newer TV show called LIVE RESCUE, that exposes everything. I'm fairly certain victims have to sign a release before those stories air.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
With FD & EMS there may be HIPPA concerns.

Not really. For emergency care, it is not required. And usually they are not sending out the patients name.

No real need for EMS or FD encryption, with a few exceptions. Hobbyists not being on of them.

As for PD, there's many points of view, such as leaving dispatch channels in the clear and putting tac channels under encryption.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
FD needs encryption to kill off the retards that come to do fake newscasts and only post negative things, get in the way, and yell insults etc. FD needs encryption to kill off rubbernecking retards. FD needs encryption so they can roll up on a mass shooting and not be targeted. And the biggest one that is the main one: FD needs encryption because the Legal Team of Takinyomoney & Gettinfat Wallet say its needed. That one also applies to all ER/ED, and EMS comms. If you still have questions, then you need to reread this over and over til it sinks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.