The end of scanner development and mfg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

Doesn't work so well, there is generally NO EXEMPTION for using a LAPTOP [MDT/MDC etc] while driving, even a Cruiser.

Actually I'm amazed all dispatching isn't done through MDT. The info could go out over MDT and then keep comm in the clear.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Some places DO use MDT/Laptop for everything except for immediate emergency communications. With most status messages, its a single button press/screentap. On/off duty, en route, on scene, acknowledged, etc, all programmed to a single button/key/screen spot.

frazpo

FD needs encryption to kill off the retards that come to do fake newscasts and only post negative things, get in the way, and yell insults etc. FD needs encryption to kill off rubbernecking retards. FD needs encryption so they can roll up on a mass shooting and not be targeted. And the biggest one that is the main one: FD needs encryption because the Legal Team of Takinyomoney & Gettinfat Wallet say its needed. That one also applies to all ER/ED, and EMS comms. If you still have questions, then you need to reread this over and over til it sinks in.
You dont need a scanner to know about EMS or fire calls. People that are already watching have posted in on FB and Instagram to way more people then even thought of owning a scanner. Your modern day rubbernecker or fake newscaster is just watching his iphone notifications not running around with a $700 scanner. So I guess I still have questions. Lol.

A local social media news guy locally has 100'S of followers that tip him to anything interesting.

INDY72

You dont need a scanner to know about EMS or fire calls. People that are already watching have posted in on FB and Instagram to way more people then even thought of owning a scanner. Your modern day rubbernecker or fake newscaster is just watching his iphone notifications not running around with a $700 scanner. So I guess I still have questions. Lol.

A local social media news guy locally has 100'S of followers that tip him to anything interesting.
Read it again.... you still skipped the main reason.

allend

Premium Subscriber
So I guess the end of the story will read "Scanner sales are over with" with the implementation of LTE and MDT's and encryption

LTE and MDT's has already crippled the industry and wonder what the final blow to the head will be?

ApexMark

Well I still listen to my DX-380 shortwave radio every day.

FM :cautious:

But I'd think the demographic shift mentioned earlier will do more harm than tech changes. I'm at the tail end of the bb generation and I don't know anyone younger than myself who cares the slightest about radio, be it scanning, shortwave, CB, Ham, etc.

INDY72

The legal team part? What do you mean? Elaborate please.
If an agency's legal department says to go E due to any of the aforementioned fallacies of HIPAA etc... That department will go E. The fear of a perceived future battle in court that could cost millions is all it takes. Facts do not matter. Once a group in suites and ties that is legal, puts fear of loss of money in the other group of suites and ties that is leadership then job is done.

frazpo

If an agency's legal department says to go E due to any of the aforementioned fallacies of HIPPA etc... That department will go E. The fear of a perceived future battle in court that could cost millions is all it takes. Facts do not matter. Once a group in suites and ties that is legal, puts fear of loss of money in the other group of suites and ties that is leadership then job is done.
Ah ok. Good point. My ending thought is just how many malicious people are spending $700 on scanners? Such a small percentage own these scanners anyway. That on top of malice is just so few.

allend

Premium Subscriber
All we know right now is that the scanner is the only way to listen over the air waves. Eventually the back door method will be the way in thru the dark web. Packet sniffing. It's all VOIP anymore anyways.

There are FD's that are already fully encrypted but all of their important dispatch and information that is relayed not over the radio is sent over pagers. Bingo that's an easy fix with pager decoder software. Been using it for years now. If you can't go thru one door open the other one.

frazpo

They bring them to me to program and I get paid a nice fee.
3 I went to school with when we were children.
So there are only 9 lawyers where you live? There is so much wrong with all this. Lol. First off, are they not real bright? I would think with all that schooling they could learn to operate a scanner and second of all they are paying someone "well" to program it! Just messin with ya. :D

scannersnstuff

This topic could go on forever. My simple thought's are although E. was around before 9-11, 9-11 basically sealed the E deal. Agencies could give a flying crap about what the monitoring public think's, and there are too few of us to make a difference. A few people in the public safety sector lose out to E., including paid & vol's who do not have a take home radio. I do have to say thought that almost every police officer I ever talked to, said they never even turn on their radio,off duty. Not the same for firefighter's.

a29zuk

This topic could go on forever. My simple thought's are although E. was around before 9-11, 9-11 basically sealed the E deal. Agencies could give a flying crap about what the monitoring public think's, and there are too few of us to make a difference. A few people in the public safety sector lose out to E., including paid & vol's who do not have a take home radio. I do have to say thought that almost every police officer I ever talked to, said they never even turn on their radio,off duty. Not the same for firefighter's.

Our county went E earlier this year per frazpo's post #64.

They went to the state digital system back in 2005. E was never a topic until all the FB followers started showing up at emergency scenes the last few years. It had nothing to do with scanner listeners.

As stated in a Michigan forum, 12% of the MPSCS is E. That is quite a bit and the system hasn't even gone to phase 2 yet.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.