the fastest way to set up a 436 is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTTER

Im getting my 436 saturday but I have to leave asap so what is the best way to get it started for use later? I read 1 plug in scanner without batteries 2 download firmware 3 download Master DB 4 Put in batteries 5 set charge. Am I missing anything ? Thanks

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I don't charge batteries in scanner case a battery will blow up. Also I use a card reader not using the usb cord to scanner. If you need to use dmr or provoice you'll need to buy a key.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 436 cannot charge a battery fast enough to blow it up. it has a trickle charger that only runs when the scanner is off.

Do not run the scanner without batteries. If the usb power cord gets bumped or unplugged while the scanner is on you can corrupt the card.

You can download sentinel (make sure to get the x36hp version), get the updated database, and start setting your scanner up before it arrives.

troymail

Silent Key
Im getting my 436 saturday but I have to leave asap so what is the best way to get it started for use later? I read 1 plug in scanner without batteries 2 download firmware 3 download Master DB 4 Put in batteries 5 set charge. Am I missing anything ? Thanks

If you've never had one of these radios before, it sounds like you're headed for alot of frustration.

I and others are always saying to slow down and take the time to learn the radio. Otherwise, you'll be very frustrated and unhappy.

But if you have to rush - I'd probably simply:

Install and update Sentinel on your PC in now.

Update the library (current version is 3/12/2017)

You could learn and do some favorities list programming but given the rush it sounds like you are in, this probably isn't a good idea right now.

check the firmware version and if reasonably current (I'm running 1.11.22), don't worry about that. I'd be more concerned about the database/library and programming.

When you get your radio, connect it to the PC and send the library to the radio. PROPERLY and carefully release the SD card from the PC before removing the cables. (As soon as possible, you should get at least 1 additional SD card to have just in case the SD card gets corrupted -- it will go bad - in a few days with poor handling or over time - and when you least expect it).

If you are really in that much of a hurry, you can use a combination zip codes, "range", and "service types" to begin listening. However, in the long run, you'll probably move to something better in terms of programming pretty quickly.

You definitely want to check and set the service types -- unless something has changed, Uniden only has "Dispatch" service types enabled in a brand new radio.

I'm sure there are other things to consider but again, since it sounds like you're going to get it and run out the door, the above is probably more than enough at this point.

Still, as I said, you really need to take the time to figure out the basic function of the radio to avoid major frustration. And you really don't want to do the "rush" job and try to use the radio if you're driving... that's a plan for not only failure but danger as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.