• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

"The Feature Set does not match" "Error Context: 2a, Status: c0001012" when writing config file XTS5000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KN6GRJ

Premium Subscriber
"The Feature Set does not match" "Error Context: 2a, Status: c0001012" when attempting to write config file. When I searched on the Internet, I only found one link, which does not answer my question at all.

I just received two Motorola H18KEC9PW5AN which is VHF 1-6 Watts ASTRO XTS 5000 Model I (from someone on an online auction and sales site). That's consistent with what was ordered, so far, but we'll see.

Now, in ASTRO 25 Portable CPS Version R20.01.00 (which I bought on a Motorola DVD), I can easily read the configuration from both handheld radios in the CPS software, but when I try to write the configuration to the radios, both give the above error ("The Feature Set does not match" "Error Context: 2a, Status: c0001012"). This happens even if I did not change anything in the configuration at all. (At first, after reading the radio I had fully configured the tree then tried to write it; I got the error, so started fresh from the radio config and tried to delete just one channel and its scan link, then tried to write it, which also gave the error; then finally, I tried to write the same configuration I just freshly read from the radio with no changes. All gave the same error.)

It shows FLASHcode "100001-000000-7". The Current Feature Set shows exactly two items: "H35 Conventional Systems Operation" and "Q806 ASTRO Digital Operation". Under "Radio Information: Tracking", it shows Original Programmed Information: Date "03-Oct-2003", Codeplug Version "0008", Source "Factory"; and FLASHport: Times Flashed "0", I-Button "000000000000", Last Source "Factory". Last Programmed Information was in 2004 from CPS when I first got it, but now it says today. Versioning shows Codeplug 0024.

I've never flashed a firmware onto a Motorola XTS or XTL radio, so I don't know what that entails. I have successfully configured both an XTS2500 900MHz model III in ham bands and an XTS5000 VHF model III in ham bands, and both work with respect to the software (my older VHF XTS5000's output amp blew out).

So, what are my options? I want to write a configuration file with my local channels, obviously. As I said, I have CPS R20.01.00. I don't have anything that says it is a flashcode file, but I don't know what they look like, so maybe I do, and maybe I don't.

Last edited:

KN6GRJ

Premium Subscriber
Are you doing this through cloning? Have you tried a top level drag and drop?
Good questions. I don't know what cloning and drag and drop mean with respect to XTS and CPS, but I will research right now. Thanks for the pointers.

Update: in ASTRO 25 Tuner, it shows:

Host Version: R03.50.00
DSP Version: R03.50.00
UCM SW Version: Unknown
Tuning/hardware Version: C527/R01.09.07

Are you doing this through cloning? Have you tried a top level drag and drop?
I tried cloning for the first time. That does not work. It gives the same error. Now I have to figure out what top level drag and drop is.

crazyboy

The flashcode in your programming file and the radio are different. You can’t write a codeplug from one radio into another and you cannot clone if the flashcodes are different. Either do a top node drag and drop or read the radio make the changes and write it back.

KN6GRJ

Premium Subscriber
The flashcode in your programming file and the radio are different. You can’t write a codeplug from one radio into another and you cannot clone if the flashcodes are different. Either do a top node drag and drop or read the radio make the changes and write it back.
Thank you for this information. I still do not know what a top node drag and drop are, but I shall probably soon figure it out.

I already did read the radio and make the changes on the radio's existing configuration and try to write that back to the same radio, and got the error. In fact, I read the radio's config, made NO changes, and tried to write it back to the same radio, and got the same error.

I haven't figured out top level dragging and dropping yet.

Ok, I learned how to do drag and drop. The problem is that it's Microsoft Windows, so I didn't know that I had to start the same program twice. In MacOS, it's not normally possible to open the same program twice to cause two running copies, and in Linux, there is no such thing as drag and drop, so I had no idea where to begin with Microsoft. It's stupid that Motorola doesn't support some better OS's like Linux or Mac.

Ok, while trying that:

I just did the top level drag and drop. Motorola must have put a lot of work into that function to make it work well. Congratulations to them for that. Anyway, the drag and drop happened no problem at all. The problem comes after that when I try to write that to the radio. I get the same error message. To repeat: "The Feature Set does not match" "Error Context: 2a, Status: c0001012". I need to reinstall the CPS software from the DVD because I might have missing error message text files, so I may be able to update this error message in a few days when I have a chance to do that.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The tutorials included on the Astro 25 CPS package are pretty helpful, including how to use things like Drag and Drop, Clone Express, and general CPS functions. I would recommend spending a few minutes watching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.