The First 48 is on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoDave

Birmingham mayor signs up with A&E TV for detectives to be on reality show 'The First 48'
Posted by Joseph D. Bryant --The Birmingham News July 22, 2008 10:50 AM
The folks who investigate crime in Birmingham soon will be on television. Birmingham Mayor Larry Langford announced today that he has signed an agreement with producers of the A&E TV reality crime series "The First 48."

Birmingham Police Chief A.C. Roper in February said that the department has had communication with producers of the show.

Former Mayor Bernard Kincaid last year pulled the plug on plans to highlight city murder investigations on the national cable television program.

The show, entering its seventh season, follows detectives in various cities as they track killers.

The show's premise: For homicide detectives, the clock starts ticking the moment they are called. Their chance of solving a case is cut in half if they don't get a lead in the first 48 hours. Each passing hour gives suspects more time to flee, witnesses more time to forget what they saw and crucial evidence more time to be lost forever.

TechnoDave

Here's Fox 6's report:

Television Deal Struck for Birmingham Police

Last Edited: Tuesday, 22 Jul 2008, 10:33 AM CDT
Created: Tuesday, 22 Jul 2008, 10:33 AM CDT

Birmingham Police

BIRMINGHAM, Ala (WBRC-TV MyFoxAL.com) -- Mayor Langford just announced that he signed an agreement with the television show "The First 48". Filming will begin in Late August and go until the end of the year.

Langford said after consulting with the police chief and the district attorney he decided that the positives outweighs the negatives.

The First 48 is broadcast on the cable network A&E. The show follows crime scene investigators through the first 48 hours of it's investigation

dave911

Premium Subscriber
AWESOME!! One of my favorite shows AND it's in HD. I can't wait.

TechnoDave

Absolutley one of my favorites too. I even watch the re runs when I know the outcome...lol.

I am slightly confused tho..... one report said they would film from August 2008 - August 2009. The other report said from August 2008 - the end of the year.

dave911

Premium Subscriber
I don't know, but I would guess August through the end of the year. That would give them time to produce the season and get it out after the first of the year when the new season starts. I wouldn't think they would film for a year straight.

As for reruns, I'm with you on that. I can't get enough. Miami and Memphis are my favorites. I miss Lt. Joe Schillaci from Miami. He's my all time favorite!

We're going to be listening for you, Dave! :cool:

smithw14

We're going to be listening for you, Dave! :cool:

Yeah, we're going to be listening for Dave, but you know who were going to hear. It's inventible. Either the chick with an attitude who, apparently, owns and rules the BPD communications center and police department for that matter, or the other male dispatcher who…well, does this sound familiar to anyone?:

"Yeah, uh, 424 - hey good buuuddy, lemme get ya to check this signal 9...100 15th street west, i say, 100 15th street west...ok, ummm...get this…some dude just shot some other dude in tha head. We don't have a description of the dude who shot the dude or a direction of travel, but just start that way...and that’s a ten-foe!"

Ha ha.

What Chief Roper is going to do is make Dave go back and do the voice-overs. ;-)

-William

dave911

Premium Subscriber
LOL!!! I'm not going to touch that one except to say that it's "Fo Tweny Fo" and not 424. Right Dave?

ASTPCO

I just hope no one calls and gets the recording:

"you have reached birmingham 911. Please do not hang up. Your call is very important to us."

Nothing has ever scared me more than getting that when I called. Good thing I was just calling the strait number and not calling 911. I would have had a stroke.

dave911

Premium Subscriber
If their luck is like the luck I have when I ride with Birmingham, the city will be the safest city in the state. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.