The First Programmable Scanners in An Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
That is odd it is not in any of the regular yearly catalogs. I wonder if it was dud and was pulled.

It may have been pulled but it wasn't a dud. I had a Realistic Comp-100 when they first came out and it was a good scanner. To program it you had to look up your frequency in a reference list that came with the radio. The list would tell you what sequence to set the buttons in when in Program Mode. Like: On-On-Off-On-On-Off-Off-Off-On-Off-On-On-Off-Off-On-Off. Basically a binary sequence that described the frequency. It was a revelation at the time, at least for me. No more expensive crystals to buy! Then a couple years later Radio Shack came out with the Pro-2001 which allowed you to enter your frequency by just typing in the numbers on a keypad, which was a whole new revelation.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
It may have been pulled but it wasn't a dud. I had a Realistic Comp-100 when they first came out and it was a good scanner. To program it you had to look up your frequency in a reference list that came with the radio. The list would tell you what sequence to set the buttons in when in Program Mode. Like: On-On-Off-On-On-Off-Off-Off-On-Off-On-On-Off-Off-On-Off. Basically a binary sequence that described the frequency. It was a revelation at the time, at least for me. No more expensive crystals to buy! Then a couple years later Radio Shack came out with the Pro-2001 which allowed you to enter your frequency by just typing in the numbers on a keypad, which was a whole new revelation.

Yep, that's how the old Bearcat 101 was programmed, all binary. I wonder if the sequence was the same. Good possibility it was.
It's funny as I can remember the Comp-100 but never realized they never appeared in the catalogs until this thread. I never did own one.

Last edited:
Like: On-On-Off-On-On-Off-Off-Off-On-Off-On-On-Off-Off-On-Off. Basically a binary sequence that described the frequency. It was a revelation at the time,

I had a RS Model (Don't remember the model) that was similar. You had to set DIP switches from a book.

It would lose its brains every few days and you had to go through all 16 channels over and over. What a pain!

After a while I could memorize all the DIP switches I needed to program for each channel.

I listened to mostly low band at the time ~1978~1980.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
C42214C2-24EE-46EA-A0AF-088AA57B3C3E.jpeg
The Bearcat 100. I don’t know if this was the first programmable handheld, but it certainly was one of the first. I bought one of these in 1982 and used it all day at work every day to listen to the USGS research crews working up on Mt. St. Helens. This was two years after the volcano blew, but they were just beginning to map and study the aftermath as it had been deemed unsafe to enter the area prior to that. Repeater was on 168.425 MHz and must have been pretty high up on the mountain because I could receive it well with that little handheld radio from 50 miles away. It made for some fascinating listening and is definitely one of the highlights of my nearly 50 years of scanning.

RigPix Database - Bearcat BC-100 (By Electra Company)

kruser

Premium Subscriber
View attachment 70559
The Bearcat 100. I don’t know if this was the first programmable handheld, but it certainly was one of the first.

Yep, it was labled as the first programmable handheld. I think Electra made them in the beginning and Uniden may have acquired them later on possibly.
I had two of them back in those days. Still have one that works but the other was ruined badly from battery leakage that ate up the aluminum housing.
I always wished the audio stage had a little more power to it though.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Yep, it was labled as the first programmable handheld. I think Electra made them in the beginning and Uniden may have acquired them later on possibly.
I had two of them back in those days. Still have one that works but the other was ruined badly from battery leakage that ate up the aluminum housing.
I always wished the audio stage had a little more power to it though.

Yeah, I remember it being a decent little radio though. Reasonably sensitive, scanned pretty fast. I sold it in a garage sale 10 years later and it was still working fine. I did a road trip with my folks to Yellowstone in ‘82—had an Idaho map, a copy of ‘Police Call Vol. 8” and that Bearcat 100 in my lap the whole way. Just punched in the new freqs as we crossed from one county into the next. It was ‘Location Based’ scanning the old fashioned way :cool:.

mitbr

View attachment 70559
The Bearcat 100. I don’t know if this was the first programmable handheld, but it certainly was one of the first. I bought one of these in 1982 and used it all day at work every day to listen to the USGS research crews working up on Mt. St. Helens. This was two years after the volcano blew, but they were just beginning to map and study the aftermath as it had been deemed unsafe to enter the area prior to that. Repeater was on 168.425 MHz and must have been pretty high up on the mountain because I could receive it well with that little handheld radio from 50 miles away. It made for some fascinating listening and is definitely one of the highlights of my nearly 50 years of scanning.

Hey I have one of those in my drawer.I wonder if it still works hmmm.
Tim

mule1075

Feed Provider
View attachment 70559

It was indeed the 1st programable handheld. Announced Early 81 for sale in 82 $299 from CEI.
86e109b98ef325076980aa8d18091348.jpg

scanner92us

My first programmable scanner. It was my present for my 18th birthday in March 1983.

Attachments

• P1010073.jpg
    P1010073.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.