Status
Not open for further replies.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I heard about it. Haven't seen it on Motorola's website yet. \

Here she is!

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
I've listened to security for a shopping mall. It gets interesting whey they're trying to catch shoplifters.

It is not just shoplifters now a days. Suspicious people, medical calls, noisy people and people refusing to leave. These are just some of the things that my local mall security have to deal with. Both retailers in the mall as well on the exterior of the mall. There is also a liquor store on the outside of the mall that has its fair share of calls.

KG7PBS

Here she is!
Beautiful little thing probably 350-500$

Daleb49

Premium Subscriber
I heard on a Wendy's drive thru one time a guy trying to order a Big Mac.
The clerk went off a little on the guy and said that isn't happening at Wendy's Sir.
It's entertaining sometimes to listen to other stuff instead of Police and Fire all the time.

n1das

One of the biggest downsides to listening to mall radio traffic is that I'd have to go to the mall to do it.

I've heard employees on DLR radios at the Costco near me a couple of miles away from the store. And those employees are deep inside the store. I seldom hear retail business users on UHF analog "business bubble pack" radios from that far away, similar to FRS users. Building penetration is better at 900MHz due to the building being more "open" at 900MHz compared to 460MHz. The DLR and DTR radios work amazingly well, especially in and around buildings. The DLRs and DTRs are intended for local on-site business use where businesses are located and that's inside buildings.

As far as the future of listening to retail stores goes, I'm not worried about it. Most of the chatter is boring but can be comical at times. The more that digital radios proliferate and trickle down to retail business users, the more likely it is that I will own the same radios too. I have previously owned DLRs and currently own a small fleet of DTRs. As for why I would want to listen in the first place, it's whenever something is transmitting near me, I'm usually trying to find it. I may or may not continue to listen after first solving the mystery of what's transmitting near me.

bharvey2

The local Costco used to used Green Dot/Currently MURS. I'm not sure what they're using now. I'm deep in the heart of industrial/commercial territory where I work and can hear business traffic on various GMRS/MURS/Itinerant business freqs. Periodically, I hear business traffic on ham frequencies. I'm guessing the latter are CCRs that never had there frequencies changed. However, there's never anything of much interest to me.

n1das

I am just curious as to what radio or scanner do you take with you to Walmart?

I often use my TYT MD-2017 CCR. The radio is a POS given that it is a CCR but good for some things. It has 2 VFOs and I set 154.570 in VFO A and 154.600 in VFO B. I automatically catch Walmart* activity on both channels without having to scan. I use my BC396xt scanner if I don't have a CCR handy. Whatever radio or scanner I use, I keep it in a pocket and with the volume set carefully so only I and/or a person standing right next to me can hear it. The employees never notice it.

My wife and I are on 900MHz FHSS digital with the DTRs. We have better radios to use than Walmart* uses, LOL.

Last edited:

radiopro52

My wife and I are on 900MHz FHSS digital with the DTRs. We have better radios to use than Walmart* uses, LOL.
I read an old post on this forum that said all Walmarts were going to start using DMR, but it seems like that hasn't happened. I don't think Walmart is interested in updating the radios they use. They didn't even supply enough radios for the employees at the store I worked at.

ergbert

Best Buy in the NY/NJ/PA tri-state tends to use Motorola CLS radios on 467.900 for in-store stuff. Don't know if that's the only frequency, but it's one I've heard store-specific chatter on at quite a number of their locations. I was working with an Alinco DJ-G7 as a listening device, so I hadn't picked out any digital in use.

I was a delivery driver for them, so I would tune in that frequency approaching the store and when arriving at the loading dock. Some stores had a habit of ignoring us for sometimes up to an hour, and it was useful to be able to tell our dispatch that we could hear them on the radio.

n1das

Best Buy in the NY/NJ/PA tri-state tends to use Motorola CLS radios on 467.900 for in-store stuff. Don't know if that's the only frequency, but it's one I've heard store-specific chatter on at quite a number of their locations. I was working with an Alinco DJ-G7 as a listening device, so I hadn't picked out any digital in use.

I was a delivery driver for them, so I would tune in that frequency approaching the store and when arriving at the loading dock. Some stores had a habit of ignoring us for sometimes up to an hour, and it was useful to be able to tell our dispatch that we could hear them on the radio.

I have heard Best Buy on 467.900 and 467.925 in many areas.

I check the following frequencies when I spot CLS radios in use:

The CLS radios are a POS. They are a really low end business radio but perfect for retail use and seem to be very popular. I like to refer to them as "business bubble packs" because they aren't any better than FRS bubble packs. Motorola Talkabout FRS bubble packs would work just as well.

The DLR series radios look a lot like the CLS series and appear to be aimed at the same market. IIRC, a CLS1410 retails for around $159 and for a little more money you can step up to a DLR1020 for $209 and a DLR1060 for $219. The CLS probably costs as much to make as Motorola Talkabout FRS bubble pack. The DLRs use the same Li-ion battery pack the CLS radios use and the chargers are charge compatible but not clone compatible. A CLS radio can be charged in a DLR charger and vice versa. The Multi Unit Charger (MUC) for each series will charge each other's radios but are not clone compatible. Radio to radio cloning requires the correct charger to be used. Audio accessories are compatible with the DLR and CLS series and Motorola's other business radios.

N4DJC

Last November lI heard the local mall security screaming “they’re going to break down the doors if I don’t let them in, I need some help fast!”.

Status
Not open for further replies.