The Google Earth Repeaters Overlay Project for the Entire United States and Territories

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
Hello Fellow Hams and Radio Enthusiasts,

I hope all is well and would like to share this project, which I have finished, finally! The Google Earth Repeaters Overlay Project for the entire United States and Territories. This one-stop-shop offline database is derived directly from www.RepeaterBook.com, and is solely for personal use as per their polices and the spirit of the Amateur Radio Service.

If you know Google Earth and KML files, then the instructions will likely be redundant, however there’s a few goodies I interspersed throughout that will hopefully be some additional feathers in your Ham caps. I wrote the instructions for those who may have never used Google Earth and/or KML files with a primary focus on readiness, and secondarily for FUN!

The single coolest fact I learned was that the “Moon Tower” in the movie Dazed and Confused actually exists in Austin, Texas! Insert Matthew McConaughey quote as desired…

I have attached the Instruction Files to this post; however, they are also included with this Google Drive Folder Library. I have allowed general access, with comments, so that anyone who may find these useful can access, download, and provide comments. (Snipe All You Want)

The folders are patterned after the Repeater Book format, so hopefully the socialization will be familiar to most. Being a green Ham with enough knowledge to be dangerous, I hopefully haven’t replicated other databases, but couldn’t find a comprehensive database that could be downloaded and used LOCALLY ON DEVICES AND OFFLINE.

But enough of my diatribe, please check these out at the following Google Drive Link and play around with them.
Google Earth Ham Repeaters (United States)

Google Earth Ham Repeaters (United States) - Google Drive

I am open to feedback to make anything better, short of individually editing the KML files. I believe I have provided enough information to allow individuals, teams, and clubs the capability to download and maintain their own libraries locally.

From my short time in the Ham Radio world… There is nothing “Amateur” about it!

Thank you for your time, consideration, and expertise!

73’s AE0TO, Ryan

o7
View attachment 138012

kc2klc

Just loaded this into Google Earth Pro - fantastic amount of work! For some reason, most of the entries are duplicated. I played around with the "all / bands / emergency systems / features / linked systems" check boxes, but couldn't quite nail down why this might be.

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
Just loaded this into Google Earth Pro - fantastic amount of work! For some reason, most of the entries are duplicated. I played around with the "all / bands / emergency systems / features / linked systems" check boxes, but couldn't quite nail down why this might be.
KC2KLC,

Yes. Upon initial loading... as a whole they are redundant.

ALL contains ALL, then it's by Category. Unselect the Parent Folder check box, which should unselect all subfolders, then individually select what you're looking by Band, Feature, etc.

EXAMPLE: :cool:

Individual Select by Category Example.jpg

NOTE: The yellow ERP range cordons are mine, but my instructions cover how to make these.

This should resolve your issue, but if it doesn't, please let me know!

73's

Ryan, AE0TO
o7

kc2klc

I hadn't even realized there were instructions lol - I'm very familiar with Google Earth & kmz files (I'm a hiking enthusiast & use these to generate custom maps that incorporate terrain, known trails, and trails/waypoints I record on my portable Garmin GPS), so I simply downloaded the "everything" file and went to town with it. The more I play with it, the more I'm blown away at the amount of work put into it (although I can appreciate the desire to catalog such things - I've spent an inordinate amount of time making databases of all sorts of stuff available at my home page). Yes, selecting a subset of what I want to see rather than everything all at once does indeed eliminate the duplications.

Btw, are you familiar with the excellent Google Earth plugin at http://ge.fccinfo.com/googleearth.php that includes every freaking radio tower in the country? That one's fun to play with too :)

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
I hadn't even realized there were instructions lol - I'm very familiar with Google Earth & kmz files (I'm a hiking enthusiast & use these to generate custom maps that incorporate terrain, known trails, and trails/waypoints I record on my portable Garmin GPS), so I simply downloaded the "everything" file and went to town with it. The more I play with it, the more I'm blown away at the amount of work put into it (although I can appreciate the desire to catalog such things - I've spent an inordinate amount of time making databases of all sorts of stuff available at my home page). Yes, selecting a subset of what I want to see rather than everything all at once does indeed eliminate the duplications.

Btw, are you familiar with the excellent Google Earth plugin at http://ge.fccinfo.com/googleearth.php that includes every freaking radio tower in the country? That one's fun to play with too :)
I didn't know about that one. Added and playing around with it. Thank You.

Ryan
o7