• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

the hardest scanner you ever programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristisphoto

Thus far for me it the IC-R3
Its easy nough to use just getting it prgrammed is a pain by hand..
Nice Wideband reciver though I'm happy with it..
Crista

JnglMassiv

Those first few hours with my new Uniden 246T featuring dynamic-allocated memory were pretty frustating and I fancy myself pretty tech savvy.

MarkWestin

My ICOM IC-R5 was and still is the hardest radio that I have ever programmed. Even my Uniden BC246T was easier to program than the IC-R5 is.

Mark

K5MAR

Premium Subscriber
Hands down, the BC101! You had to put the frequency in as a binary code. Look the frequency up in a manual and flip the little switches on the front.

Mark S.

CLB

BC-350C hands down. Takes forever with that limited keypad. That particular scanner has been demoted to a strictly PC line in recording on one repeater output from my comm station only, for which it works just fine.

And I second the IC-R3. Just now figured out the whole "scan bank" thing, and I've had the thing for over a year.

jrs71

Agree on the BC-350. I had a 350A once and I still hate that scanner. I ended up giving it to my g/f's daughter after programming it for her. Good riddance!

I bought a 246 last year and had to learn dynamic memory and trunking at the same time.
A definate learning curve there but not all that bad. Now I absolutely love dynamic memory. Got a 996 in June and it was easy to program after learning on the 246. Software makes programming faster and more managable.

Uniden has broken the sound barrier with dynamic memory!!!

KT4HX

MarkWestin said:
My ICOM IC-R5 was and still is the hardest radio that I have ever programmed. Even my Uniden BC246T was easier to program than the IC-R5 is.

Mark
Oh man! I second that - the IC-R5. What a bear that was!:confused:

wesct

K5MAR said:
Hands down, the BC101! You had to put the frequency in as a binary code. Look the frequency up in a manual and flip the little switches on the front.

Mark S.
at least you didnt have to buy crystals and plug in the wires onto the board like on the older regencys...

wesct

Sac916

Premium Subscriber
AOR 8200 without pc programming. Not "difficult" to program, just tedious and physically demanding. The keypad killed my finger tips after pressing on those hard faced buttons for hours.

johnvassel

There was an old regency I believe, where you programmed 'combs' per channel. Small metal bars with teeth on them , broken off to equal the correct frequency.
The toughest I had was a Sony Air something or other. And it was just because the sequence was so far from what was considered normal at the time.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Uniden MR8100 using the Uniden software. What a nightmare to program... I hate it worse than my BC350!

Mozilla

Shinwa

Well one that makes the list is the Shinwa wide band reciever, it uses a remote, like a TV.
Lots of variables, and features but, one you would want to have daily use or a cheat sheet for.

funcritter

Both scanners, my 96 and 97. I had no idea what I was doing when I first brought home my 97. I still have no idea how to program it, I just downloaded some Win 97 files that had everything I wanted in them and used those.

maalox

hi.. anybody had a alinco djx3 i think this was harder to program than the icom r5.

CWR

Radios that I thought (at the time) were hard to program , the Yupiteru MVT-9000 , & the Standard CCR-708A.........

richster

K5MAR said:

Mark S.
I absolutlely agree, and therefore give this scanner a 2nd nomination. It was one of the very first scanners ever made that utilized PLL technoloogy (no crystals needed). Those switches basically manipulated the program legs on the PLL chip. If you didn't know how a binary system worked, you sure had to learn it to operate this beastie.

Regards,
Richster.

Status
Not open for further replies.