The Heck With Pro-162!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakey071

i went back to radio shack and got my pro-528 back!!! i liked the 162 but with no software no dice!!!
i can pick up almost everything i want to hear with my 528...

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Its your choice!

Its ultimately your decision but returning a radio just because there is no software, YET since it just came out, seems silly but it is your choice!. You have to give the software folks some time. Its not something you just come up with in an hour or two.

Manny

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Lazy is right, but not the OP's laziness. It kills me how most of the manufacturers will spend months developing a scanner with software capabilities but yet develop NO software for them! To me, that's like designing a new game system with the expectation that the gamers themselves will create the games. Gee. Fun.

Listen up manufacturers. WRITE some software. Even if it's just basic & crappy. Burn it to a disc. Put it in the box. Add $5 to the price of the unit. Is this really so difficult? It must be.

Uniden so far is the only manufacturer offering their own software, and that's only because they finally have a product manager on staff that actually uses scanners. Even so, it's written BY HIM so it's not really the manufacturer's doing. Close, but still not quite a banana split.

I have beaten this horse to death with manufacturers for years back when I wrote scanner software and the software that came with Police Call, and STILL no one's doing this all these years later. End result is a computer controllable scanner with either little or ZERO manufacturer support on said "feature"!

I don't blame the OP one bit. Programming these units by hand (what with all the tags and settings and codes and etc) is a literal pain in the fingers. Gone are the days when all you had to do was punch in 20 frequencies and call it good. These days, IMHO, NO NEW SCANNER should be sold without basic programming software included. Compared to the design effort required to buid the radio, software development is relatively easy and there's no excuse these days for not offering it.

My $0.02, anyway...
-AZ

SAR923

I generally agree with you, AZ but there's still comes a point in time when you're nowhere near your computer and you need to enter some frequencies or a trunked system. I use Win92, Win97, and Win96 for my routine updating of my scanners but I still know how to program each of those in a pinch. I wouldn't want to enter 500 or 1,000 frequencies doing this but knowing the basics of your scanner is still a good idea.

Back to your main point, I've often wondered why RS never made a deal with Don Starr and Lindsay Blanton to include Don's software, a cable, and a premium subscription to RR as an optional package that a person could buy when they buy the scanner. There must hundreds of posts here trying to figure out what kind of software to get, what kind of cable to get, and where to get frequencies. Seems like it would be a really good selling point for newbies.

Last edited:

PhilJSmith67

I generally agree with you, AZ but there's still comes a point in time when you're nowhere near your computer and you need to enter some frequencies or a trunked system. I use Win92, Win97, and Win96 for my routine updating of my scanners but I still know how to program each of those in a pinch. I wouldn't want to enter 500 or 1,000 frequencies doing this but knowing the basics of your scanner is still a good idea.

Back to your main point, I've often wondered why RS never made a deal with Don Starr and Lindsay Blanton to include Don's software, a cable, and a premium subscription to RR as an optional package that a person could buy when they buy the scanner. There must hundreds of posts here trying to figure out what kind of software to get, what kind of cable to get, and where to get frequencies. Seems like it would be a really good selling point for newbies.

Great point!

The scanner mfr's should just get on the "standard" and "professional edition" bandwagon, like the software companies themselves. Standard? You get no software, just a software/communication spec. Professional, you get the cable, software, the whole deal.

These companies should at LEAST have a user-friendly programming interface (API) available for buyers, if they can't get the software shipped with the unit. There aren't many people who understand or have the time to hack away at serial-cable communications with cryptic byte-command codes, but a well-defined API with functions like Scan, Store, Retrieve, Load, Hold, Trunk, Search, Keypress etc. that can be used from Visual Studio or Java would be excellent.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
RS has never supported their scanners with software!

Ahmen AZScanner, I've been harping about this in my reviews of Radio Shack scanners for over five years. What really irritates me more than anything is that they have stated numerous times in their manuals over the years that software is available at Radio Shack or on the Radio Shack web site for their scanners when in fact no software existed, or ever existed. Page 52 in the PRO-83 manual states: "You can transfer programming data to your scanner using your PC and an optional interface cable (Cat. No. 20-289) and software (available at your local Radio Shack or www.radioshack.com)." Programming software for the PRO-83, however, is not available, nor has it ever been available, for download from the Radio Shack web site.

Then comes the PRO-528 which also has a port for wired programming, and software is available from Radio Shack’s web site according to the manual on page 36. I was unable to locate any software for this scanner on Radio Shack’s web site so I went to my local Radio Shack retailer. The store manager was unable to locate any software on their system either so he called RS customer service. The customer service representative told him that the manual was referring to scanner programming software called ScanCat, a third party software, but of course they couldn't locate a stock number for it either! ScanCat is definitely adequate software but no reference to it could be found on the RS web site! This same store manager told me he usually just programs scanners for customers by hand. Radio Shack has literally dropped the ball in this support area for many years, and would probably get fewer scanner returns if they vigorously addressed this issue. Of course, this is the same retailer that only allows a store manager to carry a certain dollar amount of stock in the store at any given time. So large ticket items like digital scanners usually are not carried because that would mean less cell phones and other faster selling large ticket items that couldn't be carried. How the corporate managers in Fort Worth ever expect their stores to sell these items if they won't ship them to the stores is beyond my comprehension. Guess I need to attend the same business colleges they did and have a frontal labotomy!

Mark

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I tell ya!
You talk about lazy, that is exactly how computers have made us. I do agree that computer programming makes things easier. But let me ask you, what happens in an emergency or a disaster where you may not have access to a lap top or computer? Dealing with people from an Emergency Preparedness point of view, you have to be ready, prepared, and knowledgeable in a lot of aspects of radio communication. I dont believe that you should own / not own a radio simply because the "computer software" is not out yet. It has happened many a times to me. I program my radios so much through the lap top that I forget how to do it manualy. This has happened to me in times when I can not have a lap top around. Thats just wrong in monitoring. I have since then made it a point to know all my scanners more in a manual sense. Computers have all but replaced the manual monitoring part of this hobby. Again, Im not knocking software or computer control.Im just saying we should be able to it both ways without a problem. To say, Im returning this radio because there is no software available and its too hard to do it manualy is nothing more than a cop out. Computers are here to assist you, not to replace your memory.
If you simply buy radios based on wether there is software for them or not, you dont belong in this hobby, period!

Manny

PhilJSmith67

I tell ya!
You talk about lazy, that is exactly how computers have made us. I do agree that computer programming makes things easier. But let me ask you, what happens in an emergency or a disaster where you may not have access to a lap top or computer? Dealing with people from an Emergency Preparedness point of view, you have to be ready, prepared, and knowledgeable in a lot of aspects of radio communication. I dont believe that you should own / not own a radio simply because the "computer software" is not out yet. It has happened many a times to me. I program my radios so much through the lap top that I forget how to do it manualy. This has happened to me in times when I can not have a lap top around. Thats just wrong in monitoring. I have since then made it a point to know all my scanners more in a manual sense. Computers have all but replaced the manual monitoring part of this hobby. Again, Im not knocking software or computer control.Im just saying we should be able to it both ways without a problem. To say, Im returning this radio because there is no software available and its too hard to do it manualy is nothing more than a cop out. Computers are here to assist you, not to replace your memory.
If you simply buy radios based on wether there is software for them or not, you dont belong in this hobby, period!

Manny

What?!? I know how to program every single feature of every receiver I own. But, when I'm considering buying a new scanner for which I am going to load over 700 frequencies with alpha tags, CTCSS/DCS tones or EDACS/MOT/LT talkgroups, you can darn well bet that I will choose the vendor who has software over one that doesn't.

I think it's downright arrogant to tell anyone that they don't belong in this hobby for making conscientious purchasing decisions based on their own preferences. I could just as easily say that maybe you don't belong in this hobby for not demanding present-day technology in present-day receivers. "You're rewarding companies who only produce partial products, or make promises that they don't have to keep." Nevertheless, it's none of my business to tell you or anyone else if they belong. We all just need to lighten up instead of deciding who fits and who doesn't. :)

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I've owned so many different scanners over the past 15-years that I can't keep the steps for programming each all straight. I have to get out the manual when I need to do something by hand. I believe that if you're a company that markets and sells products you should offer decent support. Don't make claims in your manuals that are not true, or you don't intend on supporting. This has been the case with Rat Shack radio scanners for years. Uniden has been able to get their act together, and they have Upman to thank for that. What's funny, he used to work for Rat Shack. Uniden realized his tallent and snatched him up. Definately Rat Shack's loss!

Scanners have become exceedingly more sophisticated since the days of crystal control. Software support is a must. Would you go out and spend $1K on a new computer with an operating system that won't support all your old programs or external devices? I doubt it. I wouldn't blame anyone at all for not buying a product if there is no software support for it. That tells me the customer is simply doing their homework and being informed.

Mark

Last edited:

Statevillian

Software is nice but it doesn't do squat for you in the field. You still should be able to do everything the software can, by hand. I can enter new TGs and do alpha tags and quickly program things for areas I didn't expect to venture into. I initially went to this thread because I feared there was some huge problem with the actual scanner performance. Well, not everyone is happy in this hobby. Like a previous poster said....Not happy, get a new hobby.

It would be cool if software was available at the time of release though. Just to save some time with alpha tagging channels and TGs.

Last edited:

shakey071

all you people say im lazy about not having software and not using it just manual can just come on over and program my scanner your self!!
so kiss off!!
SHAKEY071

DonS

You can always do what I did when I didn't see any software available for my PRO-93, PRO-95, PRO-96, PRO-97, PRO-99, and PSR-300.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I think that everyone who is saying that you need to know how to program your scanner without the computer is not understanding the OP.

For those of you who are talking about programming in the "field", are you adding 700 frequencies in the "field"??? He's talking about programming in the bulk of what he needs via the PC. He never said that he wasn't going to learn to do it manually. Heck, I know how to program mine manually, but never do unless I'm in the field. ;)

This reminds me of the Morse code and CTCSS on repeaters debates...lol "You don't belong in this hobby if you're not manually inputting your frequencies." "You newbies with you new-fangled computers. Back in MY day, we had to input every frequency by hand. We'd have HUGE blisters festering on our thumbs. And then the batteries would die and we'd have to do it all again ~ And we LIKED it!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.