The Heck With Pro-162!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

I think that everyone who is saying that you need to know how to program your scanner without the computer is not understanding the OP.

For those of you who are talking about programming in the "field", are you adding 700 frequencies in the "field"??? He's talking about programming in the bulk of what he needs via the PC. He never said that he wasn't going to learn to do it manually.
The initial setup, even if (or, perhaps, especially if) it's 700 frequencies, would be a great way to learn to program the radio manually. Once you've done that, suck it into a computer (presuming any sofware is availble by that time).

I wish I'd done that with my PRO-93/95/96/97/99. As it is, I don't know how to program them manually - my only "manual programming" experience was to figure out how to do it from a computer. Now, I have to refer to manuals to set up trunking systems, open and close banks, etc. if I need to do it via the keypad.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Understood. I just would rather program via the computer. I hate it every time I go to change something on the Pro-2006. I mean even the MR8100 was computer programmable. Why in the World didn't RS make their radios computer programmable back then?

stevolene

I have a pro 97, tried to use that win97 program, couldnt get it to work, although the win92 worked great for my pro 92, I am lazy, and I do like to listen occasionally to the scanners, but that pro 97 is going back on ebay where it came from if I cant get the scancat program to work, Im not worried about "the field"

trimmerj

have a 2006 that I did the memory expansion to in the early 90's. Had 16 groups of 400 frequencies. Had to manualy program each one. Nya Nya Nya. (Grin)

boycan

I feel real dumb and lazy, I haven't ever had a trunking scanner and I haven't done any scanning since the switch to the 800's and now I have a pro-164 triple trunking radio that my daughter got me for fathers day and I will be happy to learn to program it anyway possible. LOL I am not in any hurry tho, because I have already had a friend do most of the areas of intrest for me. Just been reading thru this site soaking up all I can from what seems to be the best of the best! Look forward to bugging you guys soon with probably some silly questions.

Programming the 2006 with no codes or alpha tags wasn't that hard. Print out a list and start pecking.

Programming a thousand objects into a modern scanner with squelch codes, alpha tags, and structuring trunking systems by hand is borderline insane in my view. I wouldn't do it if for no other reason that it is abusive to the keypad. Why put the extra wear and tear on it? This is why you see old scanners on ebay with keypad problems. Too many pecks.

Status
Not open for further replies.