SDS100/SDS200: The Hit & Run Blues

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I never thought this would happen to me since I ride at night in a sparsely populated area without many cars. Yes, there is a noticeable amount, but it I have 300 Lumens flashing on the back light & 1,000 lumens on the front light. I wear a Camelbak construction crew fluorescent design to alert others.

I am extremely hypervigilant & have been riding around Waco without getting hit by a car since 1998.

Yep, what are the odds of landing on your head while taking blood-thinners are generally instant or shortly thereafter. I should be dead. Luckily, my bicycle helmet is crushed & not my head.

I am getting ready to send this little fella to Uniden. Yes, this is one that was attached via leather belt loop, hard leather case. Currently malfunctioning on radio:
1) volume control, 2) rotary knob knocked off, 3) sustained impact of 40 to 50 feet.

This SDS 100 is tough.

Woodway police arrest hit-and-run driver after dispatch links calls

Last edited:

wtp

since there was no age of the driver.
in Florida with many older drivers they don't use flashing lights as older driver have trouble with the flash and distance they are from it.
may go to a steady light and a flashing one.

gary123

Also overly bright lights attract drivers like deer. The driver cannot see the surroundings near the light so tend to drive right at them in the hopes that they will be able to see around it as they get closer. Another issue is that older drivers get 'conditioned' by the light level and simply cannot see anything darker than the light.

There are a few LE studies about the issues surrounding the super bright LED red and blue now being used by some services. You do not need to have them visible from the Moon or Mars LOL.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
It may not have helped in your situation, but check out the Garmin Varia, if you haven't already. It's a great light and RADAR, and now there's one with a camera. It can alert(audio/visual on Garmin & Wahoo computers) you to vehicles approaching from behind. It will also change the flash pattern of the light as they get closer to you.

Here's to a full recovery of yourself, bicycle, and scanner.