The HP-1 Unidens BETA Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalanalog

Is it just me or are the issues with the HP-1 ENDLESS and Nothing more then NON-STOP.
Wow, I have never seen so many issues with one single scanner, NEVER.......EVER......

Seems like (from all the post) This thing has more flaws and issues then anything else on the market today.
and with a $500.00 (or there about) price tag, I can see why people are complaining about all the issues, I think This product does NOT "Sell Itself", but the total opposite.

This is Of Course My Observation and Opinion , But Read The Never Ending Issues surrounding this THING.......as we all have on a DAILY BASIS it seems....

phask

Premium Subscriber
Do you even have one?

Remember, few post the GOOD issues with anything, internet forums are heavily populated towards the problems.

Going on 2 years and I can't complain - no worse than others I have.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Is it just me or are the issues with the HP-1 ENDLESS and Nothing more then NON-STOP.

Same could be said for the GRE 800 if one only takes into account the shear number of GRE 800 threads (10 by my first glance) in the GRE Forum.
Then again, if one was honest and impartial one would consider that not every thread is a bash or complaint about the HP-1 rather an assist here or an assist there.

Wow, I have never seen so many issues with one single scanner, NEVER.......EVER......

Well then you must never visit the GRE or Radio Shack Forums where there are many threads on each of the PSR 800 and the Pro-18. Funny how you forget about those models of radios and only seem to bash Uniden...hmmm....

Seems like (from all the post) This thing has more flaws and issues then anything else on the market today.

If one ignores the many positive posts here (and elsewhere) about the HP-1 I guess that is the misinformed conclusion one could come up with.

and with a $500.00 (or there about) price tag, I can see why people are complaining about all the issues, I think This product does NOT "Sell Itself", but the total opposite.

Most reviews (QST, Monitoring Times, Online) are positive. Funny how you ignore positive reviews and pretend they don't exist. Is the radio perfect? No. But it is not the abomination you make it out to be.

This is Of Course My Observation and Opinion

Indeed. As misinformed as it might be it is still your opinion. Looks like the majority of everyone else's reviews (online and printed) are the exact opposite. C'est la vie.

But Read The Never Ending Issues surrounding this THING.......as we all have on a DAILY BASIS it seems....

Again, if you are looking for only the negative aspects of a product then that is only what you will find. My question to you: What was your goal with this thread besides Uniden Bashing? Seems that Uniden has already released several HP-1 firmware updates that have added new features, some by request of the membership here at RR.com.
And again printed and online reviews give positive reviews of the HP-1 (Amazon 4 out of 5 stars, Eham 4.1 out of 5).
Did you have a more specific goal with this thread besides "Oh my gosh, Uniden and the HP-1 sux!!!111!!" or was that all?

Marshall KE4ZNR

W6KRU

Marshall, Your posts are so repetitive they are irrelevant. You used the positive reviews comments to discount the need for a firmware update on the XT models and we all saw how that turned out.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Marshall, Your posts are so repetitive they are irrelevant. You used the positive reviews comments to discount the need for a firmware update on the XT models and we all saw how that turned out.

You are more than welcome to skip my posts if you feel that way.
No one is forcing you to read them.
And since the initial poster repeated "HP-1 SUxxxx11!!" a few times without being
specific there was a reason to my dividing up his post as such.
All the best
Marshall KE4ZNR

scannersnstuff

marshall's slogan : semper fidelis uniden.

wait until paul find's out you have a gre or 2 in the closet !. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
marshall's slogan : semper fidelis uniden.

wait until paul find's out you have a gre or 2 in the closet !. LOL.

I have more than a couple GREs :D

And a friend has the PSR 800 and the more I play with it the more I am seriously considering buying one to add to that GRE collection. It is a great little receiver. Just gotta make room in the budget.

And my slogan is "DC to Daylight I monitor it all". :cool:

Marshall KE4ZNR

scannersnstuff

i know. i was thinking about adding a psr-410. down the road i may want the basic psr-120. i just purchased the new bc125at. for a cheap scanner,i'm pretty happy with it.

daveharpe

People always stress about "different". The HP-1 is the first scanner to really approach the scanning problem with a different conceptual model.

But I can see where it might not be for everyone. If you are in an area with a bunch of trunk systems, it is by far and away the best scanner out there. It allows you to pretty much push the whole sites/talkgroups/mapping stuff into the background and focus on monitoring. A great tool.

But if you live in a mostly conventional area, I don't think you'll see as many benefits. If your area is "Channel 1 dispatch/Channel 2 service/etc." then you really don't need this scanner.

I really like the scanner. Colorado has a lot of trunk systems and it's been great learning those different systems with the HP-1. Aside from a bad audio jack during month one, it's been a great unit.

W6KRU

It allows you to pretty much push the whole sites/talkgroups/mapping stuff into the background and focus on monitoring. A great tool.

Yes it allows you to push that whole "how a radio system works" into the round file and start eavesdropping right away. If you know as much about radio systems as your aunt edna, this scanner was designed for you. :p:p:p

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Mine was fine, until it went deaf, a few weeks after the warranty expired.. Should be back from Uniden soon, I hope.

MarkWestin

I don't own the HP-1, nor do I want one. That said, I really have nothing against the HP-1. It is just not the right tool for the job in my case. When the HP-1 first appeared on the scene it was the first of its kind product type for Uniden. To me that means that it was or was almost a "cutting edge" product. With any type of cutting edge product you can expect to have some problems. In the old days the only way to address those problems was to wait for the next model to come out. Now most scanners and other products can be updated via firmware. Of course firmware is really just software and software always has problems so there always are upgrades and patches to take care of those problems. What is the difference between a cutting edge product and a Beta product? Not much really. Usually just some testing. So the original poster may have actually been giving the Uniden HP-1 a compliment and not realized it.

Mark

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987

I've had mine about three weeks now, and it has done everything I want/need it to do, without any issues. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the HP-1 is the best scanner I have ever owned.

:)

raisindot

I'm a relatively new owner (three weeks), and until getting it, was a pretty strong GRE PSR500 advocate.

I will say that, after a little bit of a learning curve to understand the HP's programming system (learning how to use Home Sentinel was a bit harder than learning how to use Win500, for example), I've found that my HP operates extremely. It does not pick as many signals as my Pro-62, but then again neither does my PSR 500. It picks up the few P25 channels in my area as well as the PSR500 does.

So far, I haven't had any real problems with it. Then again, I may not be as much of a hardcore user as others.

t_shuffle

The HP-1 has some glaring flaws, and I think holding back some of the "advanced features" that are only available by handing Uniden another $100 to unlock them is absolute horse****.

That being said, I think this is still probably the neatest radio I've ever owned. And I have zero sensitivity issues. It has a good ear.

daveharpe

Yes it allows you to push that whole "how a radio system works" into the round file and start eavesdropping right away. If you know as much about radio systems as your aunt edna, this scanner was designed for you. :p:p:p

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Most people using a scanner just want to listen to radio traffic. They're not particularly interested in reverse-engineering a fleet map someone in the city radio department implemented. If that's your kick then there are far better tools - mostly computer-based - for taking apart radio systems and figuring out how they work. A portable scanner isn't the best tool for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.