The JNCR System

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I’ve noticed a trend with this system. Now let me just say I live near one of the south regain bases and can receive the system full scale with no issues what’s so ever. Hell I carry a handheld around the yard and still get it full scale. Sometimes the system stays for days with no issues but at times it’s there and then poof it will have little to no scale. It sometimes goes off the air during the day and back on at night but that can’t be true because they need to use their radios. I’m wondering if perhaps the system has some settings to reduce signal at times ? Can a system do that ? I’m aware that the bases signal is primary to only cover the base but again I’m not that far. I didn’t hear it during the day but I am tonight full scale. At one point I didn’t hear it for 2 days. Any help on what could be going on here with this system ? I’m certain it isn't my scanners or my location.

Thank you

Last edited:

ecps92

When it goes Poof, are you sure you have ALL the Control Channels enabled or added ?
Many systems tend to Rotate the Control Channel, scheduled by the Sys Admin - I've seen some at 12/24 and then others only when needed

I’ve noticed a trend with this system. Now let me just say I live near one of the south regain bases and can receive the system full scale with no issues what’s so ever. Hell I carry a handheld around the yard and still get it full scale. Sometimes the system stays for days with no issues but at times it’s there and then poof it will have little to no scale. It sometimes goes off the air during the day and back on at night but that can’t be true because they need to use their radios. I’m wondering if perhaps the system has some settings to reduce signal at times ? Can a system do that ? I’m aware that the bases signal is primary to only cover the base but again I’m not that far. I didn’t hear it during the day but I am tonight full scale. At one point I didn’t hear it for 2 days. Any help on what could be going on here with this system ? I’m certain it isn't my scanners or my location.

Thank you

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
Good point ! I never though of that. I guess I just assumed that if I got it from the scanners database that it would all be in there. I’ll take a look

atlong

Database Admin
It's also possible there's a frequency missing from the site listing in the database. You might not even realize it's missing until it becomes a control channel, if it ever does. Best way to figure that out is analyze the system via a program on a computer attached to a data cable from the scanner or SDR, etc. to ensure all the frequencies being received from that site are in fact listed in the database and programmed into your receiver.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
So I typically use EZ Scan, should I just download directly from RR ? Would that be easier ? I’ve heard people say that sometimes EZ Scan leaves some things out. Sorry just new at this and trying to be able to hear them again. I’m using a Whistler TX-1 and I receive the system flawlessly with it.

ecps92

Remember that the RRDB is member/user sourced and if the Alternate Control Channels were never flagged/entered or a Voice channel is missing you may still have the issue.

It is a good first step, then if the issue continues then you have more research to do, such as be ready to SEARCH for the new CC
So I typically use EZ Scan, should I just download directly from RR ? Would that be easier ? I’ve heard people say that sometimes EZ Scan leaves some things out. Sorry just new at this and trying to be able to hear them again. I’m using a Whistler TX-1 and I receive the system flawlessly with it.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I believe you are a DSD FL user - just set it up on the appropriate JNCR site, and watch the traffic - and make sure all system channels are in your programming. The site will not go dark unless there is a technical issue, or perhaps tower work where they need to prevent RF radiation exposure.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I believe you are a DSD FL user - just set it up on the appropriate JNCR site, and watch the traffic - and make sure all system channels are in your programming. The site will not go dark unless there is a technical issue, or perhaps tower work where they need to prevent RF radiation exposure.

You are correct, thank you sir

fredva

Feed Provider
So I typically use EZ Scan, should I just download directly from RR ? Would that be easier ? I’ve heard people say that sometimes EZ Scan leaves some things out.
EZScan gets its programming info from the RadioReference database. If programming via EZScan downloads, one thing you might do for this particular system is make sure that you don't have the option set to download only control channels, in case a frequency used as a control channel isn't properly flagged as such in the database. But the recommendation to do your own investigation on the frequencies used is probably the best recommendation for now.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I’m not sure if this has ANYTHING to do with my situation but I’m told there is maintenance being done to this system at the hub site (Dahlgren) and it’s a on going thing currently. Probably nothing but throwing it out there.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I know I’m beating this in the ground, but it’s frustrating to me as I once received this system full scale 24/7. I’m noticing that the system gives me full bars and works great for about 20 to 25 mins and then it drops to a blinking low bar for awhile and then back to full scale again. I drove around today and it seems it’s happing all over. I don’t think it’s a control channel issue as it wouldn’t come back on the air so quickly If I didn’t have the changing control channel. Has anyone experienced this with any other systems ? i apologize for bugging everybody but I just so curious as to what’s going on.

atlong

Database Admin
It could be maintenance on the system, but the only other time I see similar behavior on my Uniden 436 scanner on a trunked system is when I have multiple sites programmed in and the scanner tries to get the strongest control channel. It will scan the other site frequencies to lock onto the strongest control channel periodically, especially if you're moving around. If that's the only site you have setup for that system, it might pay to program that single control channel as a conventional channel and just listen to it and watch the display. If the signal is actually just dropping out and the scanner is stationary, not much you can do since that would indicate to me the problem is on the transmitter side. If there are active users and talkgroups on it, are they dropping out at the same time too? Not sure if you have another trunking scanner you can test on simultaneously to see what's going on...but that's where I'd start.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If you can be specific about the site you are trying to monitor, that would be helpful. Also, the radio you are using. JNCR are almost always multicast, so simulcast issues are doubtful.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
Sure, I’m close to Dahlgren, its right across the river but I’m on the Maryland side. I’m using a Whistler TX-1 handheld and I’ve never had any issues receiving it up till now, in fact it sounds a lot better then some of the other systems I monitor. I wish I could post a short video on here so you all could see what’s going on. I am relieved that this is happening in other areas as well and it’s not just my house.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Sure, I’m close to Dahlgren, its right across the river but I’m on the Maryland side. I’m using a Whistler TX-1 handheld and I’ve never had any issues receiving it up till now, in fact it sounds a lot better then some of the other systems I monitor. I wish I could post a short video on here so you all could see what’s going on. I am relieved that this is happening in other areas as well and it’s not just my house.
Have you posted in the Virginia forums about your problem? Perhaps there are monitors near Dahlgren who can help.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I saw your posting in the VA forums - hopefully you will get more insight there. If you are experiencing RSSI issues at your home, remember that you are over 10 miles from that base. A typical multicast site for a military installation is likely not to be mounted on a 100m tower; it's more likely installed on a water tank or BANT. The site is not designed to provide coverage over a wide area like typical simulcast systems, hence the shorter towers. The good thing for you is there is a large expanse of water between you and Dahlgren, thus less interfering land features. I'd also expect the site was designed to support range control activities out on the river adjacent to and south of the base. Perhaps weather / temperature inversions are affecting your coverage (it is the summer still.)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
^^^. For example, I live < 2 miles from the Naval Academy, and I have only a fair signal from their site.

For testing purposes, you should make sure that you are only monitoring the Dahlgren site. Sometimes traffic from a talkgroup associated with a particular facility will be broadcast on another site - sometimes way far away. I regularly see traffic from a PFPA tg show up on the USNA site, and the Pentagon is 30 miles west of here, lol. Is there a way for you to post the Neighbor sites you see when monitoring the various JNCR sites from your location - DSD will show them.