The most irritating thing about the 436hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I know that this will come off wrong----no matter HOW I word it, so here goes. First off I have multiple scanners from multiple companies, so I am not brand loyal. But I have the biggest love/hate of the 436, when it works, it works well. And to my point, can someone explain to me why the damn SD card sits below, the batteries. About one out of every 5 times I change my batteries I get the "SD card access error". I know to let it fully power down, so that's not the issue. The card is not corrupt, the card has to be seated "just right". I am ridiculously careful (and paranoid) at this point to change batteries. I am too the point of just getting rid of it. I have done the Provoice and DMR upgrades too it , I am really thinking about dumping it for the TRX 1. Just tired of dealing with it.

Let me say again, I like Uniden , and my still favorite scanners of all time are the 330/346/396 series (especially the 2 xt's). But I am getting fed up with this. Heck I am afraid even a small knock or bump may unseat the thing. Was this problem addressed with later serial numbers? Mine starts with 4800xxxx. And before anyone suggestions the 325 , as much as I like the 125 case-------they should have used the 396xt case. Anyway, hope this doesn't come off wrong, does anyone have any suggestions or ideas, too prevent this? I should note, I never have this problem with the GRE/RS/Whistler models. Anyway, everybody have a Merry Christmas (and everyone at Uniden also-)! Mike

MStep

I know that this will come off wrong----no matter HOW I word it, so here goes. First off I have multiple scanners from multiple companies, so I am not brand loyal. But I have the biggest love/hate of the 436, when it works, it works well. And to my point, can someone explain to me why the damn SD card sits below, the batteries. About one out of every 5 times I change my batteries I get the "SD card access error". I know to let it fully power down, so that's not the issue. The card is not corrupt, the card has to be seated "just right". I am ridiculously careful (and paranoid) at this point to change batteries. I am too the point of just getting rid of it. I have done the Provoice and DMR upgrades too it , I am really thinking about dumping it for the TRX 1. Just tired of dealing with it.

Let me say again, I like Uniden , and my still favorite scanners of all time are the 330/346/396 series (especially the 2 xt's). But I am getting fed up with this. Heck I am afraid even a small knock or bump may unseat the thing. Was this problem addressed with later serial numbers? Mine starts with 4800xxxx. And before anyone suggestions the 325 , as much as I like the 125 case-------they should have used the 396xt case. Anyway, hope this doesn't come off wrong, does anyone have any suggestions or ideas, too prevent this? I should note, I never have this problem with the GRE/RS/Whistler models. Anyway, everybody have a Merry Christmas (and everyone at Uniden also-)! Mike

I agree that the placement of the card was poorly designed. In fact, the few times that I've had to remove the card, the bracket assembly that holds it in place itself become dismounted and was a royal PITA to get reseated properly. It may have looked good on paper, but as we often find out in "real-life" usage, things don't work as nicely as planned.

goodmore

Premium Subscriber
The back light going off is the worst. Not being able to see the serial question is a pain. I use the USB cord plugged in so the battery SD card is not a problem.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Haley,

I have 436 in the 4800xxxx range and in the last few months I have been swapping batteries sets in and out as needed. No troubles with my SD card from day one of ownership or now that I am swapping batteries. Radio is used in the car and never left in the vehicle so it get bumped and moved around some. I have never have removed the SD card either.

Maybe that first access error and resulting removal and remounting it did not get put back in exactly as needed.

I can say that I have not seen any others complain of SD access connected to battery swaps.

Mike

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I constantly remove my batts with or without it plugged in. I only charge externally. While the scanner is powered and running with the usb cord, I am able to remove, insert my bats and have never had the issue you are having.

If the slightest tap or knock "may" cause the issue, then there's a problem. If changing the batteries causes the issue, then there's a problem. Why don't you contact Uniden and have it repaired under warranty, if your unit is still under one.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I know everyone on here says to charge externally - yet I rarely do. Paul Opitz has stated , to paraphrase, "no issue".

That's on 3 HP1/2 and a 325 that I actively use.

Sometimes there is a greater chance of damaging a battery clip, door or something with repeated removals.
YMMV

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I too charge my 436 cells externally, so I'm swapping batteries several times a week. Have used the radio almost daily for a year. No card issues. I've also removed and re-installed the card quite a few times. It's tricky, I'm not fond of the card holding bracket, but it's worked OK for me. Are you using the card that came with the radio? I swapped mine out for a Class 10 SanDisk 32 GB on day one. I also don't have recording enabled.

Haley

Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I can answer a few things though,

1. I use eneloops (black and white versions), and charge with an intellicharger I4. I don't charge in the radio. I use it mobile a lot.
2. The scanner is out of warranty , I have had it for almost 2 years.
3. Original SD card. Only had it out once, over a year before the battery issue started.

I will say this all I did to get it working this time was sort of lightly move (and I mean lightly!) the SD card while still in it's holder. Powered right back up as normal. Is it possible something like the contacts are dirty?? I am REALLY careful with my scanners, I have some that are 10 years old and look brand new. I take really care of them.

If the SD card was corrupted would it work sometimes, and not others? Or would it just be DOA? Because it really is hit miss, like I said initially maybe 20% of time when I swap batteries. Anyway, I want to thank you guys for the help. Mike

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
It could be dirty contacts. From what I can tell just looking at mine there is no wiping action like pushing into a slot as on the 536. Also when a card goes bad the symptoms vary to some degree. Both are easy fixes.

Mike

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I also have a 4800 series 436 mine runs 24/7 and I change batteries 2 times a day with no issue and only use a MAHA C801D charger. I have had to replace my SD CARD 1 time but I used the spare I had made and replaced the spare with a new card.

Haley

It could be dirty contacts. From what I can tell just looking at mine there is no wiping action like pushing into a slot as on the 536. Also when a card goes bad the symptoms vary to some degree. Both are easy fixes.

Mike

Mike thanks for the reply, I will look into that. Maybe I will just swapping it out and see if that helps.

buddrousa, did you replace it with the same size and brand? I have read through some of the comments on what people use , just didn't know if their was a consensus on how many GB , and what brand worked best.

Mike

Haley

I replaced it with a SANDISK 16GB Class 10 over a year ago. Also replaced the one in my 536 before it failed with the same brand and size and never had trouble with either.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into those. Mike

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
The most irritating this about it for me is having my speaker suddenly go out last Thursday night. I use my radio all the INE to listen to the scanners. The main reason that I bought a handheld was to take it to scenes with me when I go shoot photos. Now I have to take a set of computer speakers in my car just to hear it while driving to scenes and just leave the scanner in the car while I'm on scene, so I don't know what's going on around me. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scosgt

My HP-2 does the same thing.
So when I change batteries I re-seat the SD card every time

Status
Not open for further replies.