The New Cold War!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Russia blocks treaty approved spy flights.
Russia blocks US from treaty-approved spy flights | Fox News

US is sending non-lethal military aid to Ukraine.
US sending helmets, other non-lethal military aid to Ukraine | Fox News

Canada sending fighters to support NATO in Europe amid the growing crisis in Ukraine.
Canadian fighter jets to support NATO response to Ukraine crisis - The Globe and Mail
Hey, the last cold war was a pretty big boon for our economy (and Russia's as well) so as long as no one pushes the button to start a nuclear holocaust, I say "game on!" :)

-AZ

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad I still remember how to "duck and cover". I wonder if the Civil Defense symbols will be re-issued?

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Russia blocks treaty approved spy flights.
Russia blocks US from treaty-approved spy flights | Fox News

US is sending non-lethal military aid to Ukraine.
US sending helmets, other non-lethal military aid to Ukraine | Fox News

Canada sending fighters to support NATO in Europe amid the growing crisis in Ukraine.
Canadian fighter jets to support NATO response to Ukraine crisis - The Globe and Mail
I do not see how the above pertains to the "New Cold War".

Russia....."in a sense" has fallen.

The Berlin Wall came down. Reagan beat Russia. And Russian Tank Divisions are in no short time going to start an invasion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cold War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cold War was a sustained state of political and military tension between powers in the Western Bloc (the United States with NATO and others) and powers in the Eastern Bloc (the Soviet Union and its allies in Warsaw Pact).
The Commonwealth of Independent States, created on December 21, 1991, is viewed as a successor entity to the Soviet Union but, according to Russia's leaders, its purpose was to "allow a civilized divorce" between the Soviet Republics and is comparable to a loose confederation.[277] The USSR was declared officially dissolved on December 25, 1991.[278]

The two superpowers never engaged directly in full-scale armed combat but they each armed heavily in preparation of an all-out nuclear World War III
Following the Cold War, Russia cut military spending dramatically. Restructuring of the economy left millions throughout the former Soviet Union unemployed.[279] The capitalist reforms culminated in a recession more severe than the US and Germany had experienced during the Great Depression.[280]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strategic Arms Limitation Talks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ff-medic

Banned
........no one pushes the button to start a nuclear holocaust, I say "game on!" :)

-AZ

I would like to know the number of times that was not publically acknowledged that we came close to "Nuclear Holocaust".

Die in the initial blast and get lucky. The inital heat and "Shock Wave" crushes your internal organs and your ear drums.

Live in a "hole" ( below ground - basement - dungeon ) with limited water and food, and end up dying of starvation, malnutrician or dehydration....or a combination of the above.

Come out of the "Hole" weeks or months after the blast. Skin and clothing gets contaminated, and you breath in all that radioactivity....and die a very slow and painful death.

I wonder how all those "Preppers" I see on the reality channels plan on beating that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuclear explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read about the "Half-Life" of some of the "Isotopes" involved in Nuclear Weapons ; and read about radiation decay.

Nuclear explosions produce radiation and radioactive debris.

The second event occurred three days later when, again, the United States dropped a plutonium implosion-type device code-named "Fat Man" on the city of Nagasaki. These bombings resulted in the immediate deaths of around 120,000 people and more over time, because of the nuclear radiation.

The devastating impact of the explosion does not stop after the initial blast, as with regular explosives. A cloud of nuclear radiation travels from the epicenter of the explosion, causing an impact to life forms even after the heat waves have ceased. The radiation can cause genetic mutation, radiation poisoning, and death.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effects of nuclear explosions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Air burst versus ground explosion =
For air bursts at or near sea-level, 50–60% of the explosion's energy goes into the blast wave.
Much of the destruction caused by a nuclear explosion is due to blast effects. Most buildings, except reinforced or blast-resistant structures, will suffer moderate damage when subjected to overpressures of only 35.5 kilopascals (kPa) (5.15 pounds-force per square inch or 0.35 atm).
Nuclear weapons emit large amounts of thermal radiation as visible, infrared, and ultraviolet light, to which the atmosphere is largely transparent. This is known as "Flash".[12] The chief hazards are burns and eye injuries. On clear days, these injuries can occur well beyond blast ranges, depending on weapon yield.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-219

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How close to the U.S. is too close......during the "Cold War"?

Ask your own questions and draw your own conclusions - http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/usw/issue_28/yankee.html

At that time, cruise training had never been so chaotic. The Cold War was ongoing, and the Soviet Navy – plus the Strategic Rocket Forces – bore the brunt of the two superpowers’ nuclear standoff. The Soviet Union’s response to the American deployment of Pershing ICBMs and cruise missiles on the front line in Europe was to build up the forces of the VMF (Navy) of the USSR, and to extend RPK-SN patrolling up to the immediate shore of the United States.

FF-Medic !!!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I would like to know the number of times that was not publically acknowledged that we came close to "Nuclear Holocaust".

Die in the initial blast and get lucky. The inital heat and "Shock Wave" crushes your internal organs and your ear drums.

Live in a "hole" ( below ground - basement - dungeon ) with limited water and food, and end up dying of starvation, malnutrician or dehydration....or a combination of the above.

FF-Medic !!!
I think I would rather get vaporized in the initial blast! Life after a nuclear war is not going to be pretty.

eorange

Secret Agent Man
You should read this book. I did, and it's an excellent history of nuclear safety (both lack of, and evolution of): Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety: Eric Schlosser: 9781594202278: Amazon.com: Books

Answer: many times.

I was amazed to read that many times back in the 50's and 60's, an H bomb was being loaded onto a bomber, something slipped, and the bomb fell straight down 10+ feet, smashing onto the runway. It was a crapshoot that it didn't detonate. Back then, there were few safety devices built into bombs - after all, the military WANTED them to explode. Safety devices potentially impeded that. Couple that with the fact that our early warning systems weren't totally coordinated (an accidental detonation = attack from the enemy), and it's a wonder nothing really bad happened.

Another example: stockpiles of U.S. nuclear bombs stored on friendly foreign soil, guarded only by a single sentry armed with a pistol.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I'm glad I still remember how to "duck and cover". I wonder if the Civil Defense symbols will be re-issued?
Duck and cover? What good would that do against today's nuclear weapons? There's little sense in doing that, as you'd just miss that last few spectacular moments of your life. If we do end up getting nuked by Russia (or China which is just as likley once we tell them "Oh all that money we borrowed from you? Yeah, there's no way we can pay that all back. You should have known better than to loan us money.") I just hope I have enough advance warning to grab some intoxicants and settle in at the top of a nice hill with a view before the nearest missile hits.

-AZ

ff-medic

Banned
Duck and cover? What good would that do against today's nuclear weapons?

-AZ
Especially if it was detonated above ground - "air burst" , versus an explosion on the ground.

I watch ( briefly while changing channels ) about the "preppers" who have a shelter, food, 15 to 20 guns , and water. Still ...... I wish them good luck.

I could wait in the woods while nuclear winter is occurring and shoot a radioactive dog with a bow and arrow. (Movie - The book of Eli).

FF - Medic !!!

F

feets

Either way, hit directly or die of starvation, it won't have been worth it to protect a Nazi government in Ukraine.

" Momma says stupid is as stupid does." Forest Gump

SCPD

QRT
Either way, hit directly or die of starvation, it won't have been worth it to protect a Nazi government in Ukraine.

" Momma says stupid is as stupid does." Forest Gump
But you were involved in the use of "special weapons" in Iraq. Was it worth using these weapons defending Kuwait during the gulf war?

F

feets

But you were involved in the use of "special weapons" in Iraq. Was it worth using these weapons defending Kuwait during the gulf war?
Um, no. No special weapons were used in Iraq.

I don't remember what thread that was in, but it's something different than what your thinking.

Even so, Iraq had no nuclear capability nor ability to hit US targets. It's not even close to a comparable scenario to a confrontation with a very robust strategic nuclear force. No two nuclear countries have ever fought directly.

And no, it was not worth defending Kuwait. You can't even put the "spreading freedom and democracy" bull on it. Kuwait is still a dictatorship with a King! Had I known then what I know now, I'd have refused. And that is just considering my own health, or lack of. Add the possible loss of life, limb or health of those I love here at home in a war with Russia from ICBMs(conventional or nuke) over some a-hole nazi's in Ukraine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,F Ukraine. That's simple enough, eh? Call me selfish I suppose. When it comes to putting my kids and grandkids under the threat of nukes or even conventional bombs, it's definately not "worth it". ;)

Don't you have your own young-uns of sorts? Do you really think risking them for Ukraine is a good call?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Reagan didn't do anything but take naps, eat jelly beans and fund terrorists. . The U.S.S.R. was doomed to fail.
Right he had nothing to do with the Berlin wall coming down. Way to busy eating those jelly beans. :lol:

Make no beans about it Ronald Reagan was the greatest President in my lifetime!

brandon

Database Admin
Reagan didn't do anything but take naps, eat jelly beans and fund terrorists. . The U.S.S.R. was doomed to fail.
Obama doesn't do anything but play golf, have his wife tell people what they can't eat and continues to fund terrorists. The U.S.S.A. is doomed to fail too.

Status
Not open for further replies.