The New Scanning Law ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey60

:confused: Just want to get your feedback on the New ill. State Online Scanning Law that passed yesterday. Since the state passed the law in both houses and it is now a Class A misdemeanor to broad cast scanners over the internet. Here is the link to the General Assembly and the now law it self. Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB5194

Note Amendment 1 to the bill that removes that restriction. This was hashed through in at least one thread prior to this (both locked)...

http://forums.radioreference.com/co...-introduces-anti-rebroadcast-legislation.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/il...-forum/173774-illinois-anti-scanner-bill.html

Mike

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Just goes to show people don't read things all the way through....this was IMMEDIATELY AFTER the text of the initial presentation of the bill, on the page the OP provided the link to:

House Floor Amendment No. 1
Deletes reference to:
20 ILCS 2615/11 new

Deletes new provisions concerning the unauthorized rebroadcast via radio or Internet of intercepted public safety radio communications.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Thanks to the letters, faxes and emails of RadioReference and CARMA members, as well as many others, the section restricting the streaming was deleted in it's entirety. The remaining provisions restricting unauthorized access to the system are of no consequence to the scanner listener.

n5ims

Thanks to the letters, faxes and emails of RadioReference and CARMA members, as well as many others, the section restricting the streaming was deleted in it's entirety. The remaining provisions restricting unauthorized access to the system are of no consequence to the scanner listener.

At least the majority that use typical scanners to listen. Those that must have a Motorola for their scanning may be affected.

N9JIG

Sheriff
At least the majority that use typical scanners to listen. Those that must have a Motorola for their scanning may be affected.

Yes, I suspect you are right.

I don't think there is a way to use a two-way radio on a P25 system that wouldn't violate this statute, unless there is a way to prohibit the radio from transmitting on the freqs.

I don't know if any of these can be programmed not to affiliate and not to be able to transmit on a trunked system programmed into it. If you could then I suspect it would be legal.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
guess i better check my feed and see if I have ISPERN and the VHF high band freq programmed in. They use those sometimes in my area when that junk Starcom system does not work and I have to laugh at them.

What will be next remove all communications from your car?

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I suspect you are right.

I don't think there is a way to use a two-way radio on a P25 system that wouldn't violate this statute, unless there is a way to prohibit the radio from transmitting on the freqs.

I don't know if any of these can be programmed not to affiliate and not to be able to transmit on a trunked system programmed into it. If you could then I suspect it would be legal.

Yeah I doubt having a Motorola trunked radio or other would fly because even if you set it to "do not affiliate" you would still probably need a system key, and even if you managed to work your way around that one...and you got caught, the radio admins would probably have a field day in getting you to explain how you even got your hands the programming software- let alone software that would allow such a bypass. But I can say for myself I do use Motorola radios to scan, but they are all vhf and uhf, everything else is up to the scanners.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Yes. Or no. Since this law didn't change anything for scanner users, I'm not sure what you're implying?

Rediculous. I already cant talk while driving because of the hands free law, somehow only truckers get to use radios now....

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
guess i better check my feed and see if I have ISPERN and the VHF high band freq programmed in. They use those sometimes in my area when that junk Starcom system does not work and I have to laugh at them.

What will be next remove all communications from your car?

Oh you must mean "starscam 21" ?? :lol: In a couple years all those $5,300 portables will filed away with the rest of their junk according to one of the ISP techs.
He mentioned this while discussing the redundancy of keeping the vhf radios in the squads.
n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.