THE NEXT SCANNER FROM UNIDEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
Just thinking about the next scanner project from Uniden.
Seems to me a great idea would be a “retro” desk top scanner.
How about taking a BCD996P2 system and building it into a Bearcat IV style cabinet, lights and everything.
I would buy that in a heartbeat!

Cheeseburgers

I cant help but feel like Uniden's scanner dept. is given a shoestring budget... hence the SDS100 sharing the case as the marine radio... I wish they would let them go nuts. I would pay 1000+ for a device that could do it all. (waffles included)

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I keep hearing the SDS100 shares a case but I looked at Unidens web site and don't see this, I see a similar but different design.
Both front and rear of the Marine radio is different than the scanner, at first glance they look the same but look closer and they are just members of the same family but not identical twins. If I missed something please post a link.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I think the same "chassis" may be more accurate than the same case with the MHS335BT.
Give me a "REMOTE KIT" for the SDS200, with FULL functionality, I don't need the head. I want to be able to remove the faceplate add it into some sort of bracket device and then replace the hole on the main unit with a cover, all while using an ethernet cable for functionality.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Ahhhhh ok, but what about the whole retro thing?

My comment was based on this:

Just thinking about the next scanner project from Uniden.

Since they just filed a Class II permissive change application with protected proprietary information on the HP-2, I'm hedging my bets that the "next scanner project" will be in that line. You did get me thinking with the post though and I looked at old Bearcat 8 housings to see how difficult it might be to kitbash one-interesting concept.

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
I’m fairly happy w my sds200 now...perhaps they’d consider putting the speaker on the front or top, and having a memory bank that captures the most recent hits (so you could limit your scan to those...). Love being able to capture audio on board, although it would be nice to have a more user friendly interface for playback.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I’m fairly happy w my sds200 now...perhaps they’d consider putting the speaker on the front or top, and having a memory bank that captures the most recent hits (so you could limit your scan to those...)
Look up the "Close Call Hits" department in the "Search With Scan" system.

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
Look up the "Close Call Hits" department in the "Search With Scan" system.
That’s not quite what I was looking for....although it’s useful. The SDS200 can save the close call hits or hits from a frequency search. My old Sony wavehawk will store -scanning- hits in a dedicated memory bank, so if you’re scanning a bunch of saved frequencies you can switch to that bank to just listen to the active ones. It’s really useful when you find the handful of active frequencies for a CAP and just want to monitor those.....

Ubbe

My old Sony wavehawk will store -scanning- hits in a dedicated memory bank, so if you’re scanning a bunch of saved frequencies you can switch to that bank to just listen to the active ones.
I have that on the wish list for a dream scanner. The Probe scanner software had that feature, it was called Hyper Bank or something like that, and when a channel had a hit it was added to a special bank that could be set how often it would be scanned, maybe 2 normal banks and then the Hyper, and how long it would be a memeber of the Hyper bank from where it was last active, perhaps 15 minutes or so.

Channels are often used in bursts. When something happens they get active for up to an hour and are then idle for a long time until next burst occure. At least that's the scenario of most channels and that active scan feature are a great way to get more listening activity from a scanner.

/Ubbe

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I don't think we'll see anything new from Uniden for some time. I never was a fan of the HP line of scanners, I'll pass on a re-hashed version of those. The SDS200 is about the closest thing to a real desktop scanner Uniden has made in a long time. I'd like to see more robust designs from Uniden. No need for DC to light frequency coverage, this degrades performance on the primary bands most people listen too. Superhet receiver design, stick to the primary public safety bands like the older scanners, quality I/Q demodulation for phase II LSM systems, high quality and high output audio, rugged construction and a remote head! Don't need a million things on the screen like the SDS scanners, keep it simple. I can dream right...

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
My comment was based on this:

Since they just filed a Class II permissive change application with protected proprietary information on the HP-2, I'm hedging my bets that the "next scanner project" will be in that line. You did get me thinking with the post though and I looked at old Bearcat 8 housings to see how difficult it might be to kitbash one-interesting concept.

Did you notice they also posted an updated manual with that listing on the FCC site? I read through most of the manual & only found minor changes....more details on using sentinel, some corrections on the power supply, nothing significant. Also see there was a change for the BC-125 as well. I didn't look into it any, though.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
First off....Uniden, above everything else, is a business. And businesses exist to make money.

What makes anyone think that they are going to invest their profits into something that will have, soon enough, limited use and interest?

Maybe it's time to face reality....:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.