the NIFOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
this is an outstanding reference document. Note the "25 cities" info on page 52 ....

Tons of good info in here.

doug

Attachments

• NIFOG Ver 1.6.1A_.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 237

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
or you can just pretend you took the time to program them all in, and then later be surprised that you never hear anything on them.

the result is the same whether you program them in or not (excepting 8call/8tac, tho just barely)
I think this post should be edited to add "Your mileage may vary".

I know I've heard (and been the source of) a great deal of radio traffic on many of the freqs contained in the NIFOG, at various times in various places around the country.

PACNWDude

The NIFOG was the go-to reference after many hurricane responses and work with National Guard units across the country. This corresponded with the fielding of JISCC Joint Inter-Site Communications Capability packages as well. Now, if only the hard bound copy became more readily available. The last one I saw for sale online was a used, two version old one for $50. Not worth the price in my opinion, just download it to a tablet computer or phone and call it good. Great reference, thank you for sharing.

ecps92

Printed Copies are still available for Governmental users, contact your SWIC
The NIFOG was the go-to reference after many hurricane responses and work with National Guard units across the country. This corresponded with the fielding of JISCC Joint Inter-Site Communications Capability packages as well. Now, if only the hard bound copy became more readily available. The last one I saw for sale online was a used, two version old one for $50. Not worth the price in my opinion, just download it to a tablet computer or phone and call it good. Great reference, thank you for sharing.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
Unfortunately it's backordered right now, but a friend once "anonymously" sent me a copy via the GPO- National Interoperability Field Guide Version 1.6.1 June 2016

(looking at you, Im800mhz)

RFI-EMI-GUY

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
I tried ordering V 1.4 (In 2012) through the GPO and ended up getting a hard copy sent free to me from the US Navy. I wonder if it is on permanent back order and they are simply vetting who gets a copy?
Then why would the PDF be available for anyone with Google and 35 seconds of time to spare? I have a vague idea of when the copy that was sent to me from the GPO was ordered; if correct, it would've been about a 2 month delay.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Then why would the PDF be available for anyone with Google and 35 seconds of time to spare? I have a vague idea of when the copy that was sent to me from the GPO was ordered; if correct, it would've been about a 2 month delay.

When I ordered mine I was pointed to a contact at the Navy who wanted to know who I was and why I wanted it. Subsequently these have become available for download. But GPO has shown it B/O whenever I looked. You would think the GPO would want to recoup the cost of publishing the document by selling them. But the content is something that one might not want disseminated to certain folks. Also, see post #8 above!

AA4TX

or you can just pretend you took the time to program them all in, and then later be surprised that you never hear anything on them.

the result is the same whether you program them in or not (excepting 8call/8tac, tho just barely)

It was the same here until Hurricane Irma hit. Before that, during VIP visits, the 8Call/8Tac frequencies would be lit up, but rarely any other time.

When Irma came through, we heard a lot of chatter from what I presume were out of state support on the VTac and UTac frequencies. Almost all seemed to be using them as a travel channel between vehicles, and intra agency coordination.

spacellamaman

It was the same here until Hurricane Irma hit. Before that, during VIP visits, the 8Call/8Tac frequencies would be lit up, but rarely any other time.

When Irma came through, we heard a lot of chatter from what I presume were out of state support on the VTac and UTac frequencies. Almost all seemed to be using them as a travel channel between vehicles, and intra agency coordination.
yeah during any sort of natural disaster or natural inconvienience types thing i crank up all the usual suspects. i am just about fully convinced there is little need for me to, for my area at least.

over the course of five years i have heard open mikes interspersed with spanish on a couple of occaisions on one of the fed 167mhz vtacs, which was interesting, but only 3-4 occasions in a 2 month span.

on the "heavy use" 8tacs a distant FD runs monthly comm checks and occasional random, brief key ups and unintelligible chatter. the main reason i even waste space with the 8tacs is due to NC HART training, which often uses them for A2G comms with the UH-60s during the course of rescuing the "survivors", which is very useful for finding a good vantage point for taking photos.

coincidentily, the past two weeks have seen heavy usage on the 8tacs somewhere near me. best i can tell they are either building or clearing out a dirt road in the local national forest, or something along those lines.

well thats all folks.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Quite a few NIFOG frequencies were used as VHF-Hi tacticals by Cal Fire during the fires of August-October in California. Not just the VFires, but some of the VTacs as well. The NIFC system uses 5 NIFOG frequency pairs for Commands 8-12. Frequency availability got a little tight this year for those fires. Some of the state fires even included some unused federal frequencies of other agencies, which are labeled Commands 13-80 when they are assigned. This likely doesn't happen in the eastern U.S. But, how would I know, I've spent very little time in the eastern U.S. This is all coordinated by the National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC).

I have three lists (GRE) or groups (Uniden) in all my scanners, State Large Fire (in CA only), federal large fire and interoperability, which has every frequency of its type in it. When I driving and see a large smoke column, I punch in those lists/groups. These take up a lot of memory, but I've used them on the road from time to time.

ctiller

Premium Subscriber
I have heard some traffic on 7CALL50 in the last few years at some events

Last edited:

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
Since I am stuck at work this fine Turkey Day, I feel like replying.

In my logs, I show:

-VCALL 10 observed in Alaska, Washington, California, Florida and Nevada (calling, surveillance and chat)

-VTAC 11 observed in Alaska, Washington and California (all surveillances)

-VTAC 12 observed in Washington for surveillance

-VTAC 13 observed in Washington (cross-band patch to 800mhz talkgroup for events); California (surveillance) and Florida (chat)

-VSAR16 observed in nearly every state I've ever visited (I posted in another thread about these logs)

-VFIRE 21-26 observed for fireground operations and EMS ops in multiple locations

-VMED28 still used as HEARS

-VLAW31 observed in Washington for weekly tests, EAS tests and announcements, and volcano/Tsunami alerting systems

-NC1 observed for FBI use in Seattle (P25 mode)

-IR4 observed in Montana for chat

-LEA observed in California (surveillance, P25) and Georgia (surveillance, analog)

-LE6 observed in Washington (surveillance)

-LE8 observed in California (chat) and Nevada (surveillance)

-IR16 observed in Alabama (National Guard chat)

-IR 18 observed in Washington (unknown)

-LEB observed in Washington (just radio checks prior to an exercise)

-LE13 observed in Alabama (CDP simplex)

-UCALL40 observed in Washington (chat for a state agency)

-UTAC41D observed in Florida (encrypted)

-Nearly every 7CALL, 7TAC, 7LAW and 7FIRE observed for everything from surveillance to LE training to chat, including a Fed LE agency using 7TAC55D for a raid.

-8CALL and 8TAC being used for chat, speedtraps, surveillance and assorted misc things in nearly every location I've been. A local government close to my home uses 8CALL for their simplex operations, much to the annoyance of a lot of dispatch centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.