HP-1: The no audio thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Hello all ~ Can anyone tell me what the supposed "fix"/trick was for the lack of audio with the HP1 on the P25 simulcast systems?

Between the firmware and beta ware, and what I believe I read about this FM-NFM switch, I'm not sure what I should be doing with my HP1.

I'm getting a lot of stopping on my system's TG's but no audio. My unit says the version is 2.05. Is that the latest, not including the beta?

Fortunately it's not my main unit, but I don't want to get rid of it. I have no issues with my 996/396xt, PSR800 or 197. Not sure what else to do with this thing. :(

AuntEnvy

Many people are apparently

So that's... comforting...? ;)

I guess we have to try the new beta firmware releases that are being posted/discussed in the other threads that are related to/addressing this issue.

coolderb

That is what is going on with mine too.

Mine too! I only had it for a week. Purchased it from an Ebay seller. I sent it back yesterday. I thought it might have been a firmware problem but the Sentinel program and Arc Patrol only have the option to download the latest firmware (2.05). I didn't see an option to downgrade to an older firmware.

I also thought it might have been a corrupt SD card or database. I tried a newly formatted card and had the same results.

Very frustrating. I sent it back. Luckily the seller has additional units.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Unfortunately, that's the dirty secret to the way the HP1 currently functions for non-fanboi/grrl's.

JamesO

I have to disagree somewhat on the "no audio" being "normal" or common across all HP-1 units.

It also does not have anything to specifically do with Simulacast from what I can tell.

I had it only with one version of Beta software that I noticed. I have been running the latest Beta 2.06.08 and have had no issues with it so far with "no audio".

I believe the "no audio" issue was nothing to do with RF decoding what so ever. If you think about it, the scanner would not stop on a TG if the problem was with trunking/decoding.

The scanner had a squelch as well as an audio mute. The problem from my point of view was with the audio muting of the scanner. I believe there may have been a firmware timing issue that did not allow the audio circuit to unmute.

Installing the Beta software cannot be done via Sentinel. It is actually not that hard to install, you download the Beta firmware, copy it to the SD card in the Firmware folder, reboot the scanner and it loads.

There may be some hardware differences or System differences that may make some HP-1 more susceptible to the audio muting issue, but I can say with my HP-1 that I just traveled 2500 miles round trip with an stopped in a few major cities along the way monitoring many different systems had no issue with the "no audio" problems I had seen with an earlier version of the Beta firmware.

E-Man

Banned
I appreciate the Beta Testers that are helping Uniden fix several lingering issues with the HP1. Better late than never. I look forward to a completed software update out of Beta.

I think/hope you are correct about the software vs RF decoding etc. When I hear interested traffic, and lock on that system, sometimes I loose all audio, which leads me to agree with your assessment.

JamesO

Something funny happens with timing on the HP-1. Not sure if there is a component wrong on some units, if there is something that drifts, the issue is System specific or what is going on.

But it seems like the latest Beta firmware decoding, sound quality and lack of audio drop out is MUCH improved.

E-Man

Banned
Glad to hear JamesO, and I appreciate your work/time/effort in the RR HP1 Beta Team.

E-Man

Banned
Thanks for the Beta FW update instructions, trying Beta 2.06.08.

@ 1 hr. initial impressions- I have not noticed any missed audio yet, more time needed for testing.

AGC still substandard/non functioning? no noticeable difference from 2.05

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.