The "Official" 2014 Arizona Monsoon Discussion and Pictures Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
It's almost that time of year again... Monsoon season officially kicks off this weekend! Who's going to be chasing storms in Arizona this summer?

I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we can all upload this year's best lightning shots and talk about the storms. I've got my Canon T3i all dialed in and ready to rock and roll, now we just need some weather! I'll be down in Tucson this weekend but the forecast doesn't sound too optimistic for much in the way of storms yet - possibly a few to the East and South of town, but that's about it. I'll probably do much of my chasing down around Casa Grande this year since that's only about 30 minutes or so away from where I live.

I've been waiting like a little kid for this all year long - I got my new camera just as the season wound down last year and haven't had a chance to get any storm pics with it yet. Who else is gonna be out and about? Check in here and let's see those pics when you get 'em!

-AZ

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
OK, after a slow start it looks like things will finally start to pick up in AZ today and into the weekend, especially in the southern and eastern parts of the state. I'll be watching the sky from home tonight but will be out chasing tomorrow. Who else is going and where are you planning to chase? I'm thinking south of the valley near Casa Grande is going to be hopping tomorrow night with storm activity. I will of course be updating this thread with pics and maybe even a timelapse video or two. ;)

-AZ

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Monsoon Season

The monsoon seems to be creeping up towards Colorado from Arizona. I caught this shot from my porch this afternoon using a lightning trigger I bought at the Storm Chasers' convention earlier this year...

Keep sending the moisture up here, we certainly need it!

Attachments

• T-Storm-7-11-14-1.jpg
    T-Storm-7-11-14-1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 276

EmilyWolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The monsoon seems to be creeping up towards Colorado from Arizona. I caught this shot from my porch this afternoon using a lightning trigger I bought at the Storm Chasers' convention earlier this year...

Keep sending the moisture up here, we certainly need it!

Oh so there are consumer lightning triggers. Always thought i would have to build my own. Just heen using ling shutter speed to get all the bolts and light up the scene.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Arizona Monsoon

Prior to getting the lightning trigger, I shot time exposures at night at 5 - 6 seconds, f11 at ISO 100. If you do a search for 'lightning trigger' on line, you should find a couple of different brands. I had a lot of trouble getting the exposure right until I started using neutral density filters on the camera since the daylight exposure ran about 1/4 second at f11, ISO 100. Once I got the filter it worked much better... Good hunting!

Those exposures work well for fireworks as well. The exposure below was before I got a trigger using a time exposure.

Attachments

• T-Storm-7-11-13-1_edited-1.jpg
    T-Storm-7-11-13-1_edited-1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 217

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
ohhhh I like it! Say, Mr Nelson, I have digital and analog cameras. Now this is off topic for radio in general- but wondering what your thoughts are on the fact that digital cams take TOO LONG re: lag time, I can get out my digital camera- hmmm many seconds to power up and "get ready" as opposed to analog camera- especially if I have it already set up for specific speed/lens etc- and using point shoot- I just go "CLICK" and there's my picture :)

I have some undeveloped film not sure where to have it developed?? I heard Walgreens in Phoenix- um NO wrong advice- they do not do it at least not the one on Central and Thomas.

Hoping to get some shots done of our rumoured storms today and tomorrow!! They tell us we're gonna get one- hope we do- sick of the false alarms and false hopes ! I just adore storms...Mr Fleef's bday is tomorrow and I "promised" him a storm! Hope I can fulfill his birthday wish :)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
ohhhh I like it! Say, Mr Nelson, I have digital and analog cameras. Now this is off topic for radio in general- but wondering what your thoughts are on the fact that digital cams take TOO LONG re: lag time, I can get out my digital camera- hmmm many seconds to power up and "get ready" as opposed to analog camera- especially if I have it already set up for specific speed/lens etc- and using point shoot- I just go "CLICK" and there's my picture :)

That's only true of cheap digital cameras. I have some 10-year-old DSLRs that go from off to CLICK in less than a second. (Canon 1Ds and 1D-MkII). Newer models are even faster. If you have a real digital camera, the power-up lag is a total non-issue.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Monsoon Season

That's only true of cheap digital cameras. I have some 10-year-old DSLRs that go from off to CLICK in less than a second. (Canon 1Ds and 1D-MkII). Newer models are even faster. If you have a real digital camera, the power-up lag is a total non-issue.

I'll second what the above says... Most DSLRs will power up quickly with no delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.