The Ol' Radar Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB9LMJ

Okay-
I recently started chasing after several years of spotting the old fashioned way, radio and binoculars and an affiliation to EMA. Now my chasing has become more of a hobby and I went mobile with radar last week when the Windsor, CO tornado hit. I'm currently using RadarLab HD and like it's easy interface and almost dummy proof setup. I experimented with GrLevel3 during the trial period and liked RadarLab's interface better. But the problem I had was during the tornado, RadarLab uses SO much data that I really had a hard time loading updated images. I basically ditched RadarLab and resorted to online SPC data. Now, that's not what I'm paying a monthly fee for. So my question is, has anyone used StormLab 4.0 Supercharged and GRlevel3 and can compare them. I'm split as to whether I should tinker with GR more, or try Stormlab for it's similarities to RadarLab. Now I figure the reason I'm not getting RadarLab's updates as fast is because it's ALL online. Nothing is loaded on your machine, it's all Java script and when it loads, it has to load ALL the program, not just the updated radar images. Stormlab and GR both are loaded on your machine and just "pluck" data to upload images instead of suck it down to run. Am I correct in my assumption and which one it better?

Thanks!

af5rn

Ha! I thought you were going to say you mounted marine radar on your vehicle, which is always good for a huge fight on the stormchaser forums. :lol:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Both have free trials, so the best answer is "check them out and see for yourself."

Every NWS office in the country has at least one copy of GRLevel2AE software - so that might help answer your question :) I think you'll be VERY happy with GRLevelX packages, and if data downloading is an issue, go with GRLevel3.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
rdale said:
Both have free trials, so the best answer is "check them out and see for yourself."

Every NWS office in the country has at least one copy of GRLevel2AE software - so that might help answer your question :) I think you'll be VERY happy with GRLevelX packages, and if data downloading is an issue, go with GRLevel3.

Absolutely I could not agree with this more. The problem you run into when asking this question is you will get a million different responses. Why? Because each of us likes something different. However, I can tell you that I have used Swift-it was ok, but just had too much downloading going on. Storm Labs 4.0 was really nice, but again, there was just some stuff lacking. I then ran into GRLevel3 some years back and have been hooked ever since. Now Rob is correct, just about all the media outlets and NWS centers have GRLevel2, why? Because it simply works. GRLevel2 has less functions, but the radar and the 3D images are out of this world.

I have GRLevel3 and have been very very happy with it and enjoy the features, and I enjoy all the downloads and add ins that are out there for it. Just try it some more and see which one you like, I spent the $60.00 on GRLevel3 and its been the best $60.00 that I have spent in my life. I suppose I will get GRLevel2 sooner or later.....and then have Rob show me how to use it properly!! :)

KB9LMJ

Thanks for the input. I believe that the data downloading is my issue. I was able to pull up the internet and load SPC data with no problems, but RadarLab was just dog slow. At home on the network, it works great. But on a cellular in the field, it's not too bad unless I have to load a different type of radar (velocity vs composite, etc) and then it takes just way too long to load 10 images for a loop. I'll play around with L2 and L3 some more, but it looks like I'm leaning towards L3. Unfortunately, my trial period ended and I didn't get as much time to mess with them as I'd like. What are the main differences between L2 and L3?

af5rn

chrismoll said:
A marine radar on your vehicle?
Really?
wow
good idea
LOL! They'll castrate you for even suggesting it on a stormchaser forum.

That always made me just want to do it even more, just to piss off all the guys who take themselves too seriously.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
The consensus was that it's illegal, and it interferes with real radars, and it's illegal to operate on dry land :)

Status
Not open for further replies.