The one true practical use for Morse Code in Amateur Radio licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Keypads don't use Morse code, they use DTMF tones. Yet another case of stupid reporters getting basic facts wrong in an article, and proofreaders and editors missing the obvious.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
The article didn't say that the keypad used Morse Code. "The man said he had previously worked with Morse code in the military, and his ear was trained enough to figure out the code on the pad from the noise it made. He reportedly duplicated the numbers to unlock the door." (Direct quote from article, emphasis mine.) It also didn't say how many attempts he made before he got it right.

And let's face it, the code was probably something original like "1-2-3-4".

W0JOG

There are many uses for a simple communication method such as Morse Code. We just have morphed to a society too interested in gadgets and not in exploring simple ways to communicate in a pinch. Try having an operation on your brain and waking to discover you are in recovery and no one around you knows you are awake again. Been there, done that thanks to an EMT who also is/was a Boy Scout. He sensed my measured squeezing of his hand as I said "Hi."

de W0JOG

merlin

Back in my day, code was required to get your license so I learned it.
One form of communication that should never die IMHO.
SWLing, the first thing I look for is CW.

WB9YBM

Yet another case of stupid reporters getting basic facts wrong in an article, and proofreaders and editors missing the obvious.

Or they're just not technically trained. I've seen the same thing in other areas, too like HR departments where the HR person does the basic interviewing and not have a concept of what they're hiring for.

WB9YBM

Back in my day, code was required to get your license so I learned it.
One form of communication that should never die IMHO.
SWLing, the first thing I look for is CW.

Yup, few things beat CW when trying to punch through noise.

N8LHG

I have an advanced class. For those out there, it is a class retired, but still valid, requiring CW. I'm glad I know it, for there are still repeaters that ID in CW, as well as long time CW perfectionists on HF bands. I personally can't understand why you wouldn't want it as a requirement, or at least have a basic memorization of it. But I'm old school that has been an operator since the 70s. I've worked stations in QRP mode that would be almost impossible on voice. It can be a blast. Anyway... That's my 2 cents.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I have an advanced class. For those out there, it is a class retired, but still valid, requiring CW. I'm glad I know it, for there are still repeaters that ID in CW, as well as long time CW perfectionists on HF bands. I personally can't understand why you wouldn't want it as a requirement, or at least have a basic memorization of it. But I'm old school that has been an operator since the 70s. I've worked stations in QRP mode that would be almost impossible on voice. It can be a blast. Anyway... That's my 2 cents.
Kudos to you sir, for being one of the few "Masters of Morse". You have my respect.
👍

Golay

The original post reminds me of a story that floated around the local repeaters around me about a dozen years (at least).
So I may not have this story entirely correct, but this is what I recall:

One of the hams somewhere here in Metro Detroit was visiting someone in a nursing home. While walking down the hallway, there was a patient he didn't know tapping CQ out on the side of the table or wheelchair or something like that. The ham replied "CQ" and one of the patients family members said "What are you talking about?". Turns out the patient had a stroke, couldn't speak, and had been tapping out CQ to everyone he seen. When the family member realized he was sending code, she started crying. Right on the spot, the ham and the patient worked it out so she understood K and N. Yes and no. When the story hit the repeaters, someone donated a CPO to the family. And some of the family learned all the characters. The family had not been able to communicate with him since his stroke.

The one thing I never did know is was he a ham? Or maybe just someone that knew code? Maybe in the military? Not sure about that.
If I recall right, he knew code just fine. And I believe someone said he had a good fist. And he could understand everything someone spoke to him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.