The Pro-97 is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Well I just got my Pro-97. I love the Signal Stalker II feature. I've been using a Uniden 246T w/ Close Call for a long time now and SS II puts it to shame. I had my rubber antenna on at the front desk at work (lots of equipment -- interference) and it snagged an airplane overhead. I had it last night at a restaurant and it easily snagged a hotel around me. This morning it found at least two close businesses w/ my VHF-Hi 5/8 mobile antenna on the car. It hung on a few pagers and I locked them out w/ no problem. I can't wait to run it downtown and around a few other things I've had trouble finding. As a note to others, the antenna makes a huge difference on SS performance. W/ my high-band antenna, most of my hits are around 150-160 Mhz. I want to get a UHF beam for targeting some businesses eventually.

The receiver is incredibly stronger than my Uniden. I remember before I got rid of my Pro-95 that it's reception of 800 Mhz was better than my 246T. But the difference w/ this radio is unbelievable. I can sit them side by side and the Pro-97 will pick up UHF repeaters loud and clear that the Uniden can't hear. 800 Mhz is also extremely strong.
I've heard that Radio Shack (GRE) radios are better receivers and Uniden has better features and now I am in 100% agreement. I love the functionality and dynamic programming of my 246T but I am extremely impressed w/ the reception on the Pro-97.

There were three major reasons I bought the Pro-97: Signal Stalker II, Military Airband coverage, and the LTR Repeater Finder. The SS II is great. I haven't had a chance to test performance on military airband. And the incredible reception is a great plus to these features. But now for the LTR function.

This Repeater Finder function that shows the repeater in the bottom right corner of the screen (when in Manual mode) is great. I was able to test it out on the local LTR systems around here and within a short time I found an error in the LCN for one of the systems. For close study of LTR systems, it's actually easier to use the Repeater Finder function with a separate LTR-capable scanner (my 246T worked) at the same time. It appears to not only show the repeater number of the current LTR talkgroup but also the repeaters that other active TGs are using. I think it works like this: 0-13-105 is using repeater 13. 0-13-077 tries to use repeater 13 but it's busy, so it gets direction to go to repeater 5. Assume the Pro-97 is in manual mode on a channel w/ the freq for repeater 13 (and type is LTR). The display at the bottom of the screen switches from "LTR: 0-13-105 R13" to "LTR: 0-13-077 R05". This is where the second scanner is helpful because while you are manually on repeater 13 on the Pro-97, the second radio can either be searching for the activity on repeater 5 or scanning it. A little confusing but it seems to work.

So I'm completely satisfied with my Pro-97. I paid $150 + shipping (eBay) and it was worth every penny. If I just want to take a radio w/ me to listen to the cops, I may choose my 246T due to its size and ease of use. But if I'm trying to find a frequency or figure out a trunked system, you can bet I'm going to use my Pro-97. At $150, it's a great deal!

N4JNW

For the money, the Pro-97 is a sweet scanner. Now if you want to upgrade and give your Pro-97 a supercharger, go back to RadioShack and get a programming cable for it, and download Don Starr's Win97 programming software.

Makes programming the Pro-97 a breeze.

I've owned my Pro-97 for just a little over a year, and I love it. I will not be letting it go anytime soon. I also have it's big brother, the Pro-2055. To date, the 2055 is the BEST base scanner I've owned.

I've got a Pro-528 on the way though. it's going to be interesting to what kind of run the Pro-97 gives it..

Dubbin

Feed Provider
KG4LJF said:
For the money, the Pro-97 is a sweet scanner. Now if you want to upgrade and give your Pro-97 a supercharger, go back to RadioShack and get a programming cable for it, and download Don Starr's Win97 programming software.

You forgot to tell him to head over to the classified section and buy that antenna off of you that you just posted (heck of a deal).

N4JNW

Well I don't like to "push" anything on anyone...

But, if you're listening to a trunked system, the RadioShack 800 mhz antennas are notorious for awesome reception.

New or Used.. ;)

Dubbin

Feed Provider
blinddog50 said:
Not the same.
I have both.
The 97 will leave the 96 in the dust!

I guess that depends on what its used for. The 97 is kind of worthless for digital ;)

Gilligan

Database Admin
n3ncn said:
I would like to commend Gilligan on a large report. We don't see much of that here. Well done Sir.
Thanks. I did a great deal of research before buying this radio and I just want everyone to know some of its advantages, in case they decide to research first as well.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Excellent info on the PRO97, thats what scanning and sharing stats about radios is all about....Great people on here....I have the Uniden 396 (poor audio) and 246 (great radio), and the PRO96 ( does 800 digital great and 700 mgz conventional great), and the 2096 by RS which has fantastic audio....Waitin for the GRE/RS folks to produce a 700/800 digital trunker for the new IL-Starcom system....

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The PRO-97 could be so much better

I read that the reasons you like the PRO-97 are: 1) Signal Stalker II and 2) Better reception. On those TWO issues I will agree; but I can not say it is a great scanner.....

I own PRO-92s, PRO-95s and now a PRO-97 as well as other RS scanners. Each of these models was made by the same company. There are bugs in the '92 that have been carried all the way through to the '97. I do not like the way the display is "cluttered" with superfluous information on the '97. And there is a lot of other info that could be displayed which is not. There are also some goofy unnecessary changes in the firmware (commands/etc) between the '95 and '97. Many people also complain about the volume & squelch knobs on the same shaft. Two knobs were much better.

The reason I am sure you are correct about the '97 being more sensitive is because of all the bleed-over and adjacent channel interference I get when listening to it that I do not get on the other scanners.

Some pluses I will note include:
- PL tone decoder
- 16 character x 4 display
- backlit keypad
- 150 talkgroups per bank (instead of 100)

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Well what are these "bugs" that you speak of. We all know that your made about it not showing the bank tags but other then that, name the bugs.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Some bugs

One specific bug in the '92B, '93, '95 & '97 involves Motorola trunking. I'm sure you've read where people state that all of a sudden their scanner stops on a control channel even though the bank is closed, etc. I've got 2 banks programmed with separate MO II trunked systems. I've found when I turn a bank on or off (while scanning using the associated # key) the scanner will usually stop on a MO control channel. It will do this very consistently for me.

The 2 second delay is NOT even close to 2 seconds. It is also not consistent. I've found in the service manuals for these scanners that anything from 750ms to 2500ms is acceptable .. so I guess some people would not call this a bug. However, it can not be called a 2 SECOND delay!!!

The above models are not consistent in how they handle MO trunking. Some people have figured out that if you must put a conventional channel between two cc channels in the same bank of MO trunked systems. Even that "fix" is not consistent. Also, when the scanner is held on a TG ID, and the cc channel changes, the scanner MAY miss some (or all further) transmissions. I've proven this by leaving one scanner in scan mode on the system while holding a specific TG on another scanner. The held scanner does not pick up the transmission that the other scanner receives (and it shows the TG held on the silent scanner).

You mentioned the bank text tag, and I am not counting that as a bug as it is the way they intentionally programmed the '97. There are certainly a lot of other things inconsistent too; but not "bugs".

SAR923

gmclam, I know you do a lot of fiddling with your receivers that the rest of us probably don't understand and could care less about. More power to you but "goofy unnecessary changes in the firmware (commands/etc) between the '95 and '97" is something that very few of us will ever worry about.

The Pro 92 is pure junk compared to the Pro 97. It is much less sensitive, has many problems following MOT Type II systems correctly, and is easily swamped by overload with anything other than the standard rubber duck. The Pro 95, while being a better trunker than the 92, has no CTCSS capabilities, which makes it almost unusable in many metro areas, doesn't have LTR, and has a very weak speaker. Even with the things you don't like about the 97, it is a great scanner compared to either the 92 or 95.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
gmclam said:
One specific bug in the '92B, '93, '95 & '97 involves Motorola trunking. I'm sure you've read where people state that all of a sudden their scanner stops on a control channel even though the bank is closed, etc. I've got 2 banks programmed with separate MO II trunked systems. I've found when I turn a bank on or off (while scanning using the associated # key) the scanner will usually stop on a MO control channel. It will do this very consistently for me.

I can honestly say that neither my PRO-92 or 95 has ever done that.

Ahh heck, I was going to say more but I don't think its worth it. If you don't like the radios then buy a Uniden...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
92, 95, 97 ...

I understand what you are saying about "less sensitivity" on the '92. But since I am receiving VHF hi transmissions from over 80 miles away on a rubber duckie from inside my house, I do not consider it a problem for me. I was shocked that my first '95 picked up even more stuff. What I liked however, was the better sensitivity at 800MHz (the '92 is pathetic on 800MHz).

I do not use the CTCSS functions, even though I am in a metro area. I want to receive as much as I can, not limit someone because they have the wrong tone. But I like the ability to see the tone freq of who I am listening to as it helps ID distant communications.

The sound has much better fidelity from any of my '95s compared to any of my '97s. If I had only one scanner of each I would think it was just a defect. But the quality follows the model. If you only hear a '97 you do not know that it can sound so much better.

The sensitivity of the '95 seems to fit my environment better. The extra sensitivity of the '97 only causes it to receive more interference, adjacent channels, etc. Adding the attenuator is too much. Too bad I can not just set the RF sensitivity in steps (such as a -3dB or -6dB option). I believe that the '97 was made more sensitive because it was needed to drive Signal Stalker II effectively.

This type of discussion shows why there are Fords, Chevys & Dodges. Everyone has different needs and situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.