The PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhradioman

Hi all I have a new PSR-500 scanner and would like to know if there is anyone in the NH Rockingham Seacoat area that might be able to help program it?.
No one said that we might have to goto school to learn how to do it!
From nhradioman

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
First of all, welcome to the forum. Many of us have purchased the PSR-500, and I'm sure many will agree it is one of the best handheld scanners out there. It has a lot of features, but trying to use it takes practice. Just about everyone on the forum who has purchased the radio programs it by computer. Trying to do it by hand will surely lead to carpal-tunnel syndrome. (The same can be said for just about ALL the new scanners from GRE, Radio Shack, and Uniden.) Your PSR-500 comes with a programming cable. Check out the wiki http://wiki.radioreference.com/inde...m_Web_Service#Web_Service_Application_Support to see what programs are available for setting up your radio. Some, if not all, support directly downloading from the RadioReference database. Become a premium subscriber, download and install your programming software, hit a few keys, and your radio is programmed, with frequencies, PL/DPL codes, alphatags, talkgroups, etc. I personally use Win500 http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win500/default.asp for programming and control. Ask around on the forum, download and try the programs ( they all offer a free evaluation period) and enjoy your radio! The search box at the top of the forum page, as well as the sticky threads found in most of the threads, are very helpful. Ask questions if you can't find the answers you need from the search. There is no such thing as a dumb question. (Only a smart answer!)

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
Hi all I have a new PSR-500 scanner and would like to know if there is anyone in the NH Rockingham Seacoat area that might be able to help program it?.
From nhradioman
If you go to the NH area they might be able to help more.
And with no software, I went to scholl to learn my Pro 96, then my 339, and I am still learning my 500 6 months later.
That is why getting software is the best way.

Last edited:

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Not so sure software is the answer. My psr500 was sent to gre today because it stopped working properly after 8 months!! It just kept scanning never to find an active frequency?? This happened after I updated to the 1.5 firmware and using the psredit software??!! NOT so sure this was the cause BUT its very coincidental!!!

gd9704

With a subscription to this website and the trial version of ARC-500 software, I had my PSR-500 up and running in an hour's time.

(And the last scanner I programmed was a Pro-2022 from about 1994!)

It's the nature of the beast in these modern trunked times.

Having the right tools makes the job a snap.

You can do it!!!

Greg

lugoffman

From nhradioman

I use the win500 it is great and believe me I am dumb when it comes to programing stuff and the win500 works great if I can do it you can do it , besides just tinker around with it , play with it , you will get it one day. also I think we all learn somthing new from this scanner everyday always changing things with it as we learn about it each day .

Status
Not open for further replies.