• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The Puxing PX UV973 a great performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas440

After reading John's (KD8DVR) review and thoughts on the Puxing UV973 dual band hand held I purchased one, and I have to say that out of 6 Chinese hand held radios I have purchased the Puxing UV973 has quickly become my favorite of the bunch. I am very impressed at the audio quality and loudness of the transmit audio as well as the deep bassy sound of the receiver. I have other ht's that have dual watch on them and they will switch between two frequencies and listen for a signal, however, they will only receive one frequency at a time, whereas the Puxing has full duplexing, and can listen to 2 frequencies at the same time, and it allows you to adjust the volume of the "sub" band, or the opposite band that you are listening to. This works well when I am on a repeater and I am scanning the opposite band, if someone gets on it I will hear them both at the same time.

I have noticed on my other ht's that where the mic is they usually put a very tiny pinhole and on 3 of the units I have I have had to enlarge that pinhole in order to get a little more audio to the mic. It seems many of them don't even have the pinhole in the proper location in front of the mic, it's often way off to the side. The Puxing UV973 however has tiny slots where the speaker is and they utilize one of these slots for the audio opening for the mic which I feel is one reason why this Puxing has a lot more punch to the transmit audio than any of the others I own.

There are a lot of nice features on the Puxing that I haven't seen on my other radios, and cross band repeater is one of the great features of this radio. I liked it so much I ordered another Puxing as a spare, and I bought 4 of the larger 1600 mah batteries, because it comes standard with a 1200 mah battery and thats ok, it will run a long time on that providing you're transmitting on low power otherwise you'll use it up in a few hours time so the larger spare battery is a lot better and it's also 5/16 of an inch thicker than the stock battery and thats noticeable in your hand but feels fine.

I didn't think I'd use the cross band repeat function because I have a Kenwood TM V71A that I use, and I have set it up many times for one way cross band work. As long as I can hear the repeater I have no need for the cross banding radio to transmit back to me and I'm legal in that respect.

What I find myself doing a lot is there are 2 of my local repeaters that I use frequently, but if I am on any of the ht's I am noisy into the repeater unless I am in a hot spot inside, or go outside. So what I do is I set the Puxing on a window sill where the hot spot is, and its in the charging cradle, so I just make sure I'm solid into the repeater from that window, with the RH 901S antenna on the ht and I set it for cross banding, and use the other ht with 1 watt to use the repeater. It works amazingly well, and it does not have the double squelch tail that many radios have when cross banding because I'm only cross banding one way o there is no double tail . It also has a great solid transmit audio, and the people I've talked with did not know I was cross banding they all said it sounds loud and solid into the repeater.

I think this Puxing is going to be a good selling radio to rival the sales of the well known brands like the Baofeng, Wouxun, and a couple of the others. As far as I know this Puxing is the only one that does cross band repeat, and several other things the others wont do. Another nice feature is if I want to do a burst of DTMF tones for example to activate a function on the repeater or link up for our net I simply press the "Enter" button, and I get a DTMF window and I just punch is what codes I want then press the PTT key and the Puxing sends the DTMF tones in a burst which I really like.

There are several reasons to like this Puxing radio, and I've only mentioned a couple of them, and at $88 shipped to my door I think I got a good deal. These Puxings I bought I found on Ebay from a California seller, and I had them in 3 days from day of ordering so he's an excellent seller. The large spare batteries I bought from the 409.com shop because they had the 1600 mah battery at a great price.

Eventually I would like to do a video review of the Puxing UV973, and show all the features and what its' capable of doing. I could not find a video review that shows the Puxing in action.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I'm really confused on the cross banding [not repeater]. 1. If the puxing in in the charging cradle, does it transmit. Most charging HTs will transmit an annoying 60 Hz cycle which can be annoying. And the advantage of using a high power when cross banding is that, is the hand held can use a much lower wattage output. And you mention use the OTHER HT at 1 watt to use the repeater. This sounds like you you the OTHER HT to reach the repeater and not the puxing. I can see your point about having to have the HT sitting in a window but I generally wonder why a HT is handy at cross banding when one generally needs much more than 5 watts.

Nicholas440

I'm really confused on the cross banding [not repeater]. 1. If the puxing in in the charging cradle, does it transmit. Most charging HTs will transmit an annoying 60 Hz cycle which can be annoying. And the advantage of using a high power when cross banding is that, is the hand held can use a much lower wattage output. And you mention use the OTHER HT at 1 watt to use the repeater. This sounds like you you the OTHER HT to reach the repeater and not the puxing. I can see your point about having to have the HT sitting in a window but I generally wonder why a HT is handy at cross banding when one generally needs much more than 5 watts.

The Puxing does transmit while it's in the charging cradle, and does not transmit any 60 cycle hum, I've asked for reports on it and was told the audio is clean, clear and loud. Most of the time people cross band repeat with a mobile because they can use more power, but in many cases 5 watts is enough to get into a local repeater and still be full quieting. I am using 2 Puxing UV 973 dual band hand helds not just one, the one I mention usind 1 watt is the one I access the Puxing that is cross band repeating with 5 watts in the cradle with.

In my case I can hear a few of my local repeaters just fine from anywhere in the house or out in the yard, however if I am inside and I move around I can't get into the repeater without being very noisy and ofter dropping in and out which is annoying. So what I did was set up one of the 2 Puxing's I bought in a window that I know has a hot spot to get me into the repeater real well on 5 watts. I then take the second Puxing hand held, and set it up for one way cross banding and set the power level at the LOW or 1 watt setting, this allows me to use it longer on low power. Now, what I am doing is I transmit with 1 watt to the Puxing hand held that is in the window, and it transmits to the repeater with 5 watts, and I am hearing the repeater on my second hand held because I can hear the repeater just about anywhere in the house, but cannot get into it without a lot of noise. I always try to use 5 watts when possible even with my mobile that can do 50 watts. I'm not wild about using 50 watts because several years ago I smoked a nice Kenwood dual bander while talking on simplex, at 50 watts, and I was crossbanding it at the time, and did not have a fan to cool it down, so I try to use less power when I can.

I will admit that most hams wouldn't consider cross band repeating with a hand held, they will use their mobile radios mostly, but there are times when a hand held can do the job. Another example is I can be out at the campgrounds at the camper, and I can set the Puxing up ontop the camper , just set it up there, and I can use the repeater that is many miles away, and I dont have to set the mobile up and worry about someone stealing it over in the parking area.

I hope I have answered your questions and cleared up anything you were wondering about. The Puxing UV 973 is amazing, its full duplexing, and dtmf tone burst ability alone is well worth the $88 bucks I spent on it. None of the 6 Chinese ht's I have are full duplexing or will transmit dtmf tones in a burst. I use the DTMF tone feature to send tones to my Kenwood TM V71A when it's in the remote control mode.

Nicholas440

Where did you buy it?

I bought 2 of the Puxing UV973 radios from Ebay , they were from a US seller in California, He even lowered the price today down to $84 with free shipping. I paid $88 for mine but even so , I think it's a hard one to beat considering all that it does. I would also suggest getting a 1600 or 1800 mah battery as a spare because the factory battery is only 1200 mah and it wont last very long under heavy use. I got 2 of the 1600 mah batteries from the 409.com shop in Hong Kong, and I purchased the RS 901 sma dual band antenna from them as well, its an amazing antenna, very very flexible, and 18 inches long but very thin as well with a center load coil. These antennas are great, but you need to be a bit careful with them as they are a tad on the fragile side but work better than any of the Nagoya's that I have.

Here is the link to the seller I used on Ebay: Puxing PX UV973 Cross Band Repeater Function 5 Tone Signaling Duplexer | eBay

Nicholas440

One thing though, it doesn't have 5 tone signalling... just MSK and DTMF.

I wasn't aware of the signaling, I played with mine and basically all I wanted in extra features was the nice way I can input DTMF when I am controlling my TM V71A Kenwood dual band mobile which is set up as a base.. I'm not sure I know what 5 tone signaling does because none of my radios have ever had that feature....

KH6HOU

I've been using mine for a couple of weeks and I keep finding interesting features. One of my favorites is that you can have one channel on memory and the other on VFO. Since it's a true dual receive, you can keep monitoring your favorite repeater while checking out new frequencies.

I also love the ability to scroll between Name, Channel, Frequency, and VFO using the VFO/MR button. On my Baofeng radios, I keep the top display on Name and the bottom on Frequency so I can see both, but on the Puxing, I usually keep it on name, then use the VFO/MR button to check the frequency.

I do find that the large volume knob keeps changing the volume when on my belt, so I may try to find a smaller volume control knob to try to minimize that problem.

The stock antenna works as well as the Nagoya NA701 that I've been buying for the Baofeng radios. The stock antenna for the Wouxun KG-UV6D also works as well, much better than the dummy loads shipped with the Baofeng UV-5R. For a little extra range, I've been using the RH901S I bought on Ebay which definitely outperforms the Nagoya NA771.

I've tried out the crossband repeat, but haven't used it in the field, yet. It works pretty good, about the same as on my VX7R or IC-W32A. I tend to use XB repeat as a stand-alone repeater, not to give extra range for another repeater.

The FM broadcast receiver has an annoying click as it scans the communications receiver. Turning off Duplex doesn't stop the clicking. After a while, my mind just tunes out the clicking, at least with voices. Don't know how it'll do with music.

I haven't tried the 1600mAh batteries offered on Ebay for the PX-888, but I understand that they should work fine.

Overall, I'm very happy with the PX-UV973. Now if only it had 200 channels like the Wouxun.

uhrik

Puxing HT Programming

Great HT, my first HAM radio. I researched budget HT's online to get started and this one had good reviews and nice demos on youtube. I have not been disappointed. It does everthing I need it to do on 2m and 70cm bands and a lot more including extended receive frequencies.

Two questions:

1) I just installed the factory programming software and it works great, but the USB-Serial interface cable causes the radio to go into transmit mode (it should be in receive mode while programming) except for a short time while it is actually exchanging information with the laptop (the display reads -PC- during this interval). I didn't notice it the first time and had my antenna off, so I got worried as soon as I realized it was keyed up and fortunately did not ruin my transmitter. I suspect I'm doing something out of sequence or the interface cable is operating incorrectly. Any hints would be appreciated.

2) Is it possible to program any channels as receive only to allow monitoring without accindentally transmitting out of band? Or use the transmit lock feature on certain channels?

KH6HOU

Transmitting When Programming

Two things can cause your radio to transmit when programming that I know of.

1. If the cable is not initialized prior to being plugged into the radio. Sometimes, depending on how the cable is powered (hub vs computer), it's possible for the cable to be uninitialized which can put the radio in transmit mode. If this happens, as soon as the radio is plugged in, it will transmit, not just when programming.

2. If the cable is not fully plugged into the radio. If the cable is just partially plugged into the radio, it's possible for it to put the radio in transmit mode.

I don't know if either of these happened to you, but I've seen both on my Baofeng, Wouxun, and Puxing radios.

As far as not transmitting, for the Puxing I usually set it to low power, then set the transmit frequency to to top end of a ham band (e.g. 147.995) so if I accidentally transmit, it doesn't interfere with the other service). I've been told that if you delete the transmit frequency, it won't transmit, but I haven't tried that.

The RTS software does allow turning off the transmitter and when you do that, the transmit frequency disappears, so deleting the transmit frequency might work.

uhrik

Wow, great information! I'll give it a try. I had one quick try this morning with the factory software and it may be that it will not save the program if you are missing a transmit frequency for a channel, but I'll give it another try.

Thank you,

Mike

uhrik

Follow up to Puxing PX-UV973 Programming and Free Software!

Great HT, my first HAM radio. I researched budget HT's online to get started and this one had good reviews and nice demos on youtube. I have not been disappointed. It does everthing I need it to do on 2m and 70cm bands and a lot more including extended receive frequencies.

Two questions:

1) I just installed the factory programming software and it works great, but the USB-Serial interface cable causes the radio to go into transmit mode (it should be in receive mode while programming) except for a short time while it is actually exchanging information with the laptop (the display reads -PC- during this interval). I didn't notice it the first time and had my antenna off, so I got worried as soon as I realized it was keyed up and fortunately did not ruin my transmitter. I suspect I'm doing something out of sequence or the interface cable is operating incorrectly. Any hints would be appreciated.

2) Is it possible to program any channels as receive only to allow monitoring without accindentally transmitting out of band? Or use the transmit lock feature on certain channels?

Here's a nice link that has information regarding the required Prolific driver for the interface cable, troubleshooting and even physically trimming the cable (may solve the transmit when plugged in issue)

Prolific FTDI Windows Cable Drivers

Here's the driver straight from the manufacturer of the chip. My cable worked with the latest driver.
Products

Here's the website for the official Puxing programming software straight from the radio manufacturer for free! (you may need to download a separate freeware program to unzip the .rar file in Windows). It seems to work great and the only setup is to manually match the com port # to the port your cable is installed on by Windows and the Prolific driver. (If you move the cable from one USB port to another, the COM port may change also. When you plug it in for the first time, watch the installation pop up message and it will tell you which COM port it was installed on, or you can check it in your device manager)

I was able to delete the transmit frequency for receive-only channels I wanted to monitor/scan using the manufacturers software. After sending the data to the radio, it will display "err" in the transmit frequency display, but will still receive and will not transmit on that memory channel. Exactly what I wanted.

I could not find a way to lock the PTT selectively for a single channel from the radio keypad, though there is a lock function that will prevent PTT on all channels when engaged.

Thanks again and hope this helps other uses of this nice radio.

Mike

bs953

Puxing px-uv973 interesting transmit issue

Having just got this radio and pulling my hair out over programming...ergo hand line every single thing (yes my software is working) and then translate Chinglish into Janglish to English LOL. I am getting this turkey figured out....However a very annoying thing I ran into. So far and this is weird, when I am listening to commercial FM (rock and roll) and the ball and chain calls me on any of the 4 other same type chingo radios, this thing works, she comes right through, commercial radio stops and I reply, BUT after 5 seconds my radio the Puxing starts transmitting the commercial FM to her radio ( I did a ten count and get to 5)...so we tried various means, but if I got tunes blasting and yak for more than 5 seconds, she is hearing what I am listening to....:) I have turned off dual mode, no I am not on repeat, no I am not on duplex. Were using GMRS FM wide, because this radio has an issue with my Retevis radios on NFM, plus I am actually not on narrow band...92500 so that part although an annoyance because it took me a minute to figure out....Doesn't explain the Puxing to start transmitting what I was listening to...make sense? NO good. Hope some you folks can gimme a simple for that.
Thanx Mac

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Keep in mind those aren't legally usable in the U.S. except for amateur radio or Part 90 public safety. They are not part 95 for Gmrs either. 73, n9zas

bs953

OK let me correct my typo specifically:
05 462.6625 FRS 5 500 mW GMRS 13 5 W
Same freqs as the Midlands I bought at Big 5 a few years ago. Yes, I am very aware that one needs to be properly lisc to use these. I am also not dumb enough to transmit on unauthorized frequencies. That said I will most certainly do so in an emergency which I can do, and have done because cell service is mediocre at best where I live. Also I am an on-call sawyer for Cal-Fire so technically I can use this radio. You pointed out the obvious to me thank you very much, however failed to address the question at hand. Obviously I have no intention to inadvertently transmit my 'rock and roll' over the air. Otherwise why would I ask? This in keeping with 'clean and respectful' use of the radio waves.
Thanx for your input. 73's

mirrorshades

I don't have that model radio specifically, but what I have noticed in some similar models is that when you have the FM broadcast receive enabled, there is a sort of virtual "dual watch" with whichever VFO/channel you have as active. When a carrier is received on your VFO/channel, the unit will switch over and quiet the FM broadcast. Once the carrier drops (assume it's using the timeout setting), it will revert to the FM broadcast reception.

So what may be happening is simply poor programming in the firmware... once the receive carrier drops, the FM broadcast mode is being switched back on, without a check being performed as to whether or not you have the transmitter keyed up.

Also, I believe gewecke was simply reminding you that this particular radio is not permitted to be used on GMRS frequencies in the US, since it lacks FCC Part 95 certification. While you may be permitted to use it related to your emergency services work (part 90), that would ONLY apply to the frequencies and configuration settings provisioned for that service (i.e. not GMRS).

bs953

Thanx mirroshades,
A lucid reply. I do have TOT OFF. Perhaps after a re-think let me try this. While I am listening to FM broadcast on the Puxing, when the VFO does get a carrier it does stop the FM broadcast...great excellent. (FYI this does have dual VFO's, not "dual-watch") what specifically happens is that as I reply to the call, I can only talk for about 5 seconds then it cuts me off (mind you I am still talking) and starts transmitting the FM broadcast over my voice....thats the best description I can give. LOL and yes once I shut my yap (and unkey) the FM broadcast resumes normally and the second radio stops receiving my transmission...Does that make better sense? Thank You for not 'chastising me' with the obvious.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound as if I was chastizing you, I meant no disrespect. Many that come to RR for help are simply not aware of such factors, obviously you are. :). 73, n9zas

bs953

Thanx

Thanx,
Gewecke,
I get it and your right. I do intend on getting my 'Ham' lisc. very soon. These radios are a step in that direction. I 99% got them so in an emergency I have the ability to get help, frankly some of the state issued radios suck :) also unfortunately the regular run of the mill 'family radios' while great for the kids and the parents camping round the lake work, they simply don't up here. I also don't want morons getting on the public service freqs and complicating things like the dumb a***'s that fly drones over fires. I have personally checked with my local authorities and tested the 4 radios I have on their repeaters and have been assigned an ansi code with instructions LOL. Us on call guys don't get 'state' issued radios to take home, a pager does me no good when I roll up on an unexpected accident and no cell service. I am a radio user from the early 80's....oh yeah Cobra 142 HamTen with the 8950 tubes, PDL2 on an 80' tower...you get it. Anyways, in keeping with the purpose of clean airwaves is the reason I was asking my question it still has me scratching my arse. FYI I only need low power and use that on FRS/GMRS around the ranch. I am diligently studying for my tech lisc.
73's

Status
Not open for further replies.