The Rack is Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
I installed 2 of the 3 racks I just picked up from Novexcomm Looking pretty cool.

icom.png

I'm designing my ultimate shack and I'm going to rack mount as much as I can. This is not the rack they will be in this is just eye candy.

Here is a sketch of my command center.

shack.png

Now this will be a lot of fun.

Any suggestions on 'must have' items let me know.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
As far as "must have equipment", with a setup like that, the time you will be spending there will require one each of the following:

refridgerator
bathroom
bed

Looks great, keep us posted on the progress!

rwier

I installed 2 of the 3 racks I just picked up from Novexcomm Looking pretty cool.

icom.png

I'm designing my ultimate shack and I'm going to rack mount as much as I can. This is not the rack they will be in this is just eye candy.

Here is a sketch of my command center.

shack.png

Now this will be a lot of fun.

Any suggestions on 'must have' items let me know.

HoHoHoHo!!!!

My big Captain's Chair has wheels, but it pretty much doesn't move (while I'm in it). How about some sorta computer controlled tracked mechanism, to scoot around the room?

ScannaMan9

As far as "must have equipment", with a setup like that, the time you will be spending there will require one each of the following:

refridgerator
bathroom
bed

Looks great, keep us posted on the progress!

as he said....

your OWN ROOM!!! (i mean house- or 1 side of a 2 family home to you)
Mini-fridge
bathroom, with speakers in it
2 security systems- one for your house, and 1 for your shack!
a secret door
Your own electrical panel
lounge

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Dedicated circuits for distinct areas, so if you have to kill the power quick, it can be done without guesswork.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Dedicated circuits for distinct areas, so if you have to kill the power quick, it can be done without guesswork.

Yes, absolutely.

And along that same line of thinking, because of all those electronics and electricals in such a concentrated area - a good capacity halon extinguisher would be good to have on hand.

cg

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine built me an audio mute button for my radio room. I can hit one button and all the external speakers will each mute via audio relays. Great for answering the phone or leaving the house and not wanting to leave the audio on. Before it died, it would still allow my 24 channel Dictaphone to continue recording all the radios.

chris

ScannaMan9

You should get your own website, and audio feed
its gonna turn out amazing, but can we have more pics??

ps
moderators-
howcome i can only edit 1 post per day??

Adenosine

Outstanding. I'm really interested in how your setting up, if you have any more pics to add that would be great.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Novexcomm is good stuff; bought some of my rack equipment from them a couple of years back.

NEWSHACK7.jpg

ScannaMan9

MORE IDEAS!!!!!!!!!

50" flat screens
laptops,desktops
your own router
generator, to keep your shack running
ac system-all that equipment will heat up quickly
more ideas coming....

P.S.
COPY KITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
This will end up like a command center with the man-cave look as well so I will have a large TV and a refrigerator. Part of a rack will be dedicated to AV.

I appreciate these suggestions and as I'm currently in the design phase, they were already in my mind.

Your own electrical panel. - With Emergency shut off.
Halon extinguisher - a must have (or 2)
Audio mute button - I'm hooking up all audio feeds to a mixer. I don't know how many inputs I will need as of yet so the configuration of the mixer will be down the road the one prerequisite is a master pot or audio mute.

Website - MyRadioShack.ca is already registered and currently pointed to my book site. The website will be up later this year and there will be a lot of photos of the process. I'm not a woodworker so there is a lot of learning to do. (I'm not spending the $21,000,00 it would cost to do it with Mid-Atlantic stuff) so I'm doing it all in wood except for the radio racks, and a few other accessories.

Stream audio - 'IF" I stream audio I "may' consider streaming Saskatoon Fire department as that is the only thing in the clear. I will not stream RCMP. I may also move the location of my current Live ATC stream (CYXE) to my home shack and not the remote one.

Thank you for your comments, as the design phase goes, I will keep you up dated and appreciate your comments and suggestions.

73's Have an awesome weekend!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I would assume , with all that equipment on hand, you have already given substantial thought to lightning protection?

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
I would assume , with all that equipment on hand, you have already given substantial thought to lightning protection?

Yes, there will be that kind of protection outside AND GFI on the electrical panel, as well as electrical protection filtering on each rack through the battery backup APC unit.

I'm also going to have some sort of thermal protection and AC as well.

Do you have any experience / suggestions with outdoor lightning protection?

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Hey Joe -

You have some great ideas, it'll be great to see things progress via your website. Later this summer I will be changing my shack (again) for various reasons - but mostly to accommodate multiple LCD screens on a single wall. Also - using rack rails built into your wood shelving/cases will save many $$ over pre-built racks should you choose to go that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.