The REMtronix 842 Antenna Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazza0768

Yeah but your talking about the 842s i use a BCD325P2 with a BNC and I definitely notice a difference in performance and optimized reception. At my work i usually dont pick up much with the stock antenna with REMTRONIX everything seems better and I have noticed it picks up channels stock antenna would not normally pick up. At least thats I have noticed so far definitely happy with it.
Yep roger that.
There is no difference between the 842b and 842s apart from the connectors.
I'd love to see someone's antenna analyzer results for the stock and remtronix antennas.

I've analyzed a Remtronix 820s before and of course its best right at the 860mhz mark and also at the late 480mhz mark.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I actually compared alot of antennas to this 842s as I just purchased it.
I was actually quite disappointed.
The stock uniden USDS100 antenna, comet sma-3, 820s and a couple of motorolla actually works better and out performs the 842s on all spectrums.
It works but just not great! It's a real shame the stock antenna actually has the upper hand.
Sorry but I have to totally disagree with that and I've done plenty of testing with both of those antennas. The 820 will work better on 700-800-900 MHz than the 842 but the 842 still outperforms the stock antenna in that range.

The 820 is fairly good on UHF although it is not indicated for it but on VHF High the 820 is terrible. Try listening to a distant NOAA weather frequency with it and grasp your hand around the antenna and watch the reception improve using your body as an antenna LOL. The 842 does very well on VHF high and UHF, much better than the stock antenna which is pretty well known to be lacking.

As far as the ham radio antennas and Motorola antennas, that's apples and oranges. The 842 is a wide range coverage antenna and not specifically tuned for one range to transmit although it is capable of being used for transmission

Just my two cents but many people agree with this assessment. :)

dazza0768

Sorry but I have to totally disagree with that and I've done plenty of testing with both of those antennas. The 820 will work better on 700-800-900 MHz than the 842 but the 842 still outperforms the stock antenna in that range.

The 820 is fairly good on UHF although it is not indicated for it but on VHF High the 820 is terrible. Try listening to a distant NOAA weather frequency with it and grasp your hand around the antenna and watch the reception improve using your body as an antenna LOL. The 842 does very well on VHF high and UHF, much better than the stock antenna which is pretty well known to be lacking.

As far as the ham radio antennas and Motorola antennas, that's apples and oranges. The 842 is a wide range coverage antenna and not specifically tuned for one range to transmit although it is capable of being used for transmission

Just my two cents but many people agree with this assessment. :)
Yep well with my testing it performed poorly and the stock antenna worked much better with lower dbm over the 842.
I was very disappointed.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep well with my testing it performed poorly and the stock antenna worked much better with lower dbm over the 842.
I was very disappointed.
Sorry to hear that, well you know how it is with radio. Your mileage may vary and sometimes things just don't make sense. ;)

Ubbe

I'd love to see someone's antenna analyzer results for the stock and remtronix antennas.
It's difficult to use the result from an analyzer for receive purposes. Remember that the best result will be shown from a dummy load that doesn't radiate at all. The more an antenna will work as a dummy load the better it will show up on the analyzer.

You will have to make signal strength measurements when receiving a distant signal. If you use a SDS scanner to read dBm values you will also have to test using all filter settings and IFX. All filters in SDS will pass the frequency you are monitoring but will block different parts of the spectrum outside of that frequency. Do tests using all filters, preferable with the attenuator enabled, and trust the result from the filter that show the weakest signal, that will block other interferencies the most. Strong signals as far away as 7MHz will have an impact on the signal strength measurements in a SDS scanner.

/Ubbe

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I usually do not comment on such issues, but I was intrigued by the comparisons and wanted to evaluate the performance of the Uniden stock antennas vs the 842 models. I decided to use an SDS100 to test four antennas: The SDS100 stock antenna, a stock Uniden BNC antenna, the Remtronix 842S, and the 842B using the SDS100 RSSI display as a reference. I did this because it is a test that is easily reproducible by anyone who has an SDS100. I conducted the test using weak-to-moderate strength NOAA stations and TRS control channels across multiple bands. Specifically, I had the SDS100 on a solid surface, and for the tests I never moved the 100 but simply exchanged the antenna. For the BNC models I used a standard SMA-BNC adapter.

The results I found was that all four were within 1 dB of each other. Actually, the 842B, 842S, and stock Uniden BNC were identical, and the stock SDS100 antenna was reading the same or 1 dB weaker for all tests.

I re-ran the test in several locations and while the specific readings were different, they always showed the same relative reading with the SDS100 antenna being the same or 1 dB weaker than the rest. The overall range of the tests was in the -90 to -110 dB range.

This is not to say that Remtronix does not make some really good antennas, but I'm not seeing the difference some have claimed unless I compare the above antennas to a 3" stubby duck which always performed 10 dB lower than the others (except for the locations that put the signal below reception strength and unable to get an RSSI reading).

Take this as a biased evaluation if you want, and I can understand that, but others are free to reproduce the same test. Also keep in mind that the SDS100 only displays in whole units, so anything less than a 0.5 dB difference can show the same reading. Will a potential 1 dB difference changing from stock SDS100 to 842 make a difference in reception? In some cases it could, but the difference I see is far from night-to-day.

Now, testing the 810/820/830 antennas on 800 MHz does result in a measured 6 dB performance improvement over all the stock/842 models, but I would expect that for a single-band antenna over a tri-band antenna. Anyone expecting a tri-band antenna of similar size to work as well has unrealistic expectations.

I honestly was expecting to see a much larger difference in performance than I did based on the performance of the 810/820/830 models.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’ve been told on average, an improvement of 3db gain was needed to raise the signal strength 1S unit… how true that may be is what I’d like opinions on. Anyone?

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
From the IARU Region 1 Technical Recommendation R.1. The recommendation defines that a difference of one S-unit corresponds to a difference of 6 decibels (dB), equivalent to a voltage ratio of two, or power ratio of four. Signals stronger than S9 are given with an additional dB rating, thus "S9 + 20dB", or, verbally, "20 decibels over S9", or simply "20 over 9" (or even the simpler "20 over").

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_meter

does anyone know where to buy the remtronix antennas i need a couple of each ..
Rem-842B
Rem-842S
my dads been in the hobby for better than 50 years retired and will NOT buy from certain places hes upset with a popular place iam sure theres 2 sides to every story and iam sure he probly misunderstood them ... he has over 30 scanners and is upgrading antennas on his handhelds needs these 2 antennas and wont pay the 40 something ebay wants any ideas let me know in a perfict world 4 of each is what iam looking for used is ok also ??????

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
does anyone know where to buy the remtronix antennas i need a couple of each ..
Rem-842B
Rem-842S
my dads been in the hobby for better than 50 years retired and will NOT buy from certain places hes upset with a popular place iam sure theres 2 sides to every story and iam sure he probly misunderstood them ... he has over 30 scanners and is upgrading antennas on his handhelds needs these 2 antennas and wont pay the 40 something ebay wants any ideas let me know in a perfict world 4 of each is what iam looking for used is ok also ??????

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
do you know of anywhere else they wont ship to puerto rico

ill check bearcat i think there higher on price tho

but if anybody knows of someone else let me know thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.