The right scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone

I been out of scanning for almost 2 years and looking to get back into it , just so out of touch need some advice on what scanner to get I'm really wanting a psr-500 . but what is really the best scanner for the central Indiana/Indianapolis area ??

my choice's are , Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT , GRE PSR-500 ..

what do you guys think ?

thanks Jason

dlbrock

The 996xt or the 396xt are great scanners. I live in Noblesville and pickup all MECA traffic and ISP as far away as Peru. I own the 396xt and it is by far the best scanner I've ever owned. Good luck in your search!

jessmu

Premium Subscriber
The 996xt or the 396xt are great scanners. I live in Noblesville and pickup all MECA traffic and ISP as far away as Peru. I own the 396xt and it is by far the best scanner I've ever owned. Good luck in your search!

I've been looking at the 996xt. You say you can pick up ISP all the way in Peru? I live in Rochester, so Peru is our local post, which I would want to pick up if I'm going to buy the scanner. What type of antenna do you have for your 996 that you get such great reception on it?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Antenna

I've been looking at the 996xt. You say you can pick up ISP all the way in Peru? I live in Rochester, so Peru is our local post, which I would want to pick up if I'm going to buy the scanner. What type of antenna do you have for your 996 that you get such great reception on it?

Yeah what antenna are you using? I live in Evansville, IN and I can't even pick up the EVANSVILLE post tower. I have to get traffic from the Henderson, KY tower for ISP I can also pick up the MARRS Center tower but not EVANSVILLE

jerk

Yeah what antenna are you using? I live in Evansville, IN and I can't even pick up the EVANSVILLE post tower. I have to get traffic from the Henderson, KY tower for ISP I can also pick up the MARRS Center tower but not EVANSVILLE

Look here at this map, maybe you'll understand why you can't pick up the Evansville tower
http://www.in.gov/ipsc/files/currentmap.png
Also here
RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database
May have to be a premium member to see that one.

hooty

Scanning

It depends on how close you are and what you want to scan as you know. I live in Johnson county -8 mins from county line and pick up more of hendricks vs marion. I just ordered the gre 500 due to decoding meca better.

I have a 996t and it does ok but just not what I thought it would pick up based on closeness to Marion County.

pike63

Hey any good stores around Indianapolis that carry the 396 at a good price or should I just order online and wait for shipping?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Coverage Maps

Look here at this map, maybe you'll understand why you can't pick up the Evansville tower
http://www.in.gov/ipsc/files/currentmap.png
Also here
RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database
May have to be a premium member to see that one.

I never even thought to check the site coverage maps..Odd thing is I get a little signal off the Evansville Post tower using a back of set antenna but not one in the air outside. Thanks for the help!

KC9LVX Evansville, IN and Henderson, KY feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.