The RS 800 MHz antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneeyebear

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering, what difference does this antenna make? Is it worth the 20$?

I have a pro-164 with whatever antenna came with it.

digitalanalog

If your listening is based on 800mhz digital channels, Then Yes, that is a excellent antenna, if your listening to analog channels then that antenna is not what you want.

DickH

If your listening is based on 800mhz digital channels, Then Yes, that is a excellent antenna, if your listening to analog channels then that antenna is not what you want.

Digital and analog have nothing to do with it. The RS 800MHz antenna will improve your 800MHz reception regardless of the type of modulation used..

SCPD

QRT
Makes NO difference Analog or Digital the Antenna picks it all up.
I used it before digital came to scanning on Motorola 2 trunking.
As a former Antenna Salesman I can say it is well worth $20.00.

n5ims

Generally worse than a stock antenna for the lower bands, but much better than stock for the 800 MHz band.

oneeyebear

Premium Subscriber
alright, thanks.. I'll have to see how often I end up in the 800MHz range then, and see if I want to keep it or not.

KB5ILY

Just to clarify, when saying the RS antenna is not as good as stock antenna on low bands are you meaning 140-160mhz or are you meaning 30-50mhz ?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify, when saying the RS antenna is not as good as stock antenna on low bands are you meaning 140-160mhz or are you meaning 30-50mhz ?
The R/S 800 MHz antenna definitely would not be as good as the stock on Vhf-low (30-50MHz). Not as good on Vhf-high (say 140->170MHz), but I would not call it deaf. I can still generally get all of the reasonably expected agencies in the area, though I do lose some of the weakest, or fringe, transmitters (not unexpected, and they are covered by a different scanner/antenna pair). Uhf (~450MHz) also comes in well, no noticeable loss on the systems I monitor. Just remember that there is not a perfect antenna for all bands at the same time.

SCPD

QRT

i have the antenna on PRO-163 with a right angle and it picks up the 140 and 150 band pretty good, i've noticed that whenever i have my 163 in the car and i have the 800mhz antenna on it, it works as well as a mobile antenna,while were moving

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber

in a word... "yes". If I am trying to listen to either range you indicate... the stock antenna tends to do better, imho.

Understand that I am in an area covered, almost exclusively, by 800Mhz blankets. Very few, if any, public agencies do anything on UHF/VHF, aside from some paging simulcasts. Even those are going away slowly but surely.

Again, as indicated in the posts above, it (RS duck) is not DEAD in those ranges... just not as good as stock.

I think we are all in violent agreement...lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.