The RS Mag Mount (Trying stuff Found Stuff )

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I've tried many antennas and I thought I might help others by posting what I have found out by using them. First of all they are good for scanners. I have tried and tried to perfect my signals from a nearby AFB and Airport. After reading the post about RS Mag Mount Fix I decided to check into it. Wow! I never knew what was wrong until now. I found my center element/conductor was loose!!! Do not worry about the plastic film on the bottom of the base, tear it off and have a look for yourself. I used foil tape to replace. I decided to delete all my bnc adaptors and just use terminal rings soldered to directly connect to the antenna. I crimped the shield to the base lug (Rivot deleted bolt installed) So basically I no longer use the factory coax lead to bnc etc. I now have a direct rg6-QS to the antenna about 75 feet long. Of course my reception improved 100 percent. However I have a few more things to try. I lengthened the antenna by using the 20-012 MOD and after that I replaced the top element with the RS 20-043 discone top element. Whole lot of trying stuff out. I'm still doing great with VHF LOW (Airband) and everything trunked 800-900 is awesome. 400 bands no problem.

Monday I will test UHF on the Military freqs (No flying this weekend)

Results will follow.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Let me know how you make out with it. Though mine was set up in mind as a "local" antenna, I'm thinking on soldering the coax back to the antenna and eliminating the connector I added.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
trying stuff found stuff

By taking away the connectors and going straight to the antenna with my rg-6qs I think helped, the 20-012 mod did help in higher bands but not as I I wanted in VHF Airband so I went back to the original lengths. Still working on some other things and I will post them soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.