The Sangean 909x/or the Super 909x vs Satellite 750

Status
Not open for further replies.

carddude99

Anyone do comparisons of the new Sangean 909x later models, the Super 909x from radio labs and compare it to the Satellite 750 by Eton? I am torn between the two. Have heard that the 750 is pretty good and a lot of fun for old schoolers like myself. I am curious though about the 909x and have not heard anything that positive about it. Nothing on the later models and nothing on the Radio Labs altered version. Anything you can bring to the table on this subject is most welcome.

Thanks
Daniel

Graboon

Daniel: I purchased the upgraded, modified version of the 909x from Radiolabs and have been greatly impressed. It is a portable, not a table top, so be clear about that. I have been delighted with the quality of the audio, all from a 3 inch speaker. The sound is full and clear, and with the improved filters, selectivity is great. I live in Dallas and live in a large apartment building, full of stone and steel. I knew that receiving sw and ham signals would be difficult in this circumstance. And it is. But when each day (or night) I am ready to listen to sw or hams, I simply go out on my balcony. Just with the whip antenna alone, I am always surprised what the909x pulls in. I will look forward to experimenting with various antenna options, which was one reason I joined this group. And local MW (AM) and FM, inside my apartment, come booming in. Again, the audio quality of the 909x is outstanding. Hope this helps some. Graboon (Grayson)

Graboon

Daniel: this is Grayson, again. Another feature which works well on the 909x is SSB, which is important for me because I listen regularly to hams. Easy to use. Also, and this is important to any serious radio, especially a portable, is that one the 909x has a separate RF Gain control, which can be used to prevent overloading. Also, there is an easy to use Squelch control. Wish you well in picking the sw radio that is right for you. Grayson (Graboon)

nanZor

I own a 750, and just picked up my 909X today, (software ver 1.18) and have to agree with Graboon. I am still testing it, and may end up writing a review in the review forum for it once I get more under my belt with it.

If you want to spin-n-grin all over the spectrum, the 750 would be preferable. The manual tuning on my stock 909x takes a little getting used to, and for some the detents could be a deal-breaker. The Radiolabs mod would be great if it really bugs you. Still, these radios are in different catagories for ergonomics, so you'd want to pick one that fits your style.

I'll put more into a possible review later, but so far I'm REALLY impressed with the front-end that is well behaved, as compared to the usual over-amplified portable that you have to throttle back. I've read reviews that say it is deaf - I think it may have possibly been well-designed for enthusiasts that are going to want a little something more than a 4 foot whip. The external input is handling my tuned 18 foot top-loaded vertical, tuned with a T-network tuner like a champ - better than my 750 with the resistor mod! wow.

Let's put it this way: If Sangean could put this into a "portatop" package, with a few small changes (like a heavy duty tuning knob, continuous tone controls etc), you'd have a Grundig 750 killer immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.