The Scantenna Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeRayCodA

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
457
Location
Muskogee,Oklahoma
Ok,Folks;
There seems to be some misunderstanding about how to reinforce the "Scantenna" in high wind areas.
I made a crude drawing to help clear up what is needed to be done for "high wind"survival.
Hope this helps,good luck!
 

Attachments

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
23,724
Location
Bowie, Md.
At the risk of sounding like Yoda, to the Wiki this should go - lost this will get too easily (hi). It's good information.

73s Mike
 

sony

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
203
TeRayCodA said:
Ok,Folks;
There seems to be some misunderstanding about how to reinforce the "Scantenna" in high wind areas.
I made a crude drawing to help clear up what is needed to be done for "high wind"survival.
Hope this helps,good luck!
Shouldn't the top vertical element also be spiral wrapped like the bottom one?
 

chgomonitor

Silent Key
Joined
Jan 27, 2003
Messages
427
Location
Chicago
Scantenna Reinforcing

I also use heavy duty, UV rated (outdoor) cable ties around the snap-in juncture clips to hold them in snapped-in position. Narrow style fiberglass strapping tape at all the joints and junctures also helps. Almost nothing will save you from Chicago winters, LOL. - Ted
 

TeRayCodA

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
457
Location
Muskogee,Oklahoma
sony said:
Shouldn't the top vertical element also be spiral wrapped like the bottom one?
Yes, I was only showing that for clarity of the drawing.Wrap the entire length of the fiberglass rod.
Updated drawing uploaded !
Thanks !
 
Last edited:

Halfpint

Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
949
Location
Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
sony said:
Shouldn't the top vertical element also be spiral wrapped like the bottom one?
Yep! TeRayCodA probably left it off because it both too obvious and maybe a bit of a PITA to draw it in again. (BTW, TeRayCodA, *nice* drawing!)

My first thought after considering just how long even the best electrical tape usually lasts even when `lovingly applied' was to substitute some heatshrink tubing for the tape. They have some out now that has an `adhesive / sealant' that is activated when it's shrunk that should make it almost permanent along with also looking better. (You can get the *good* 3M `dual wall' FP-301 series 2:1 tubing in 4' chunks in Black, Blue, Clear, Red, White, and Yellow for $3.39 for the 1/2" size and $3.63 for the 3/4" size with smaller sizes even cheaper. The EPS-200 (2:1 shrink ratio) and EPS-300 (3:1 shrink ratio) adhesive lined tubing is, of course, more expensive and only comes, at least from where *I* buy it, in 6" black pieces. [A pack of 14 pieces of the EPS-200 1/2" tubing costs $16.95 and the EPS-300 in the same size and number of pieces costs $25.95. Still... That's 7' of tubing and even *if* one uses even as much as half that it's cheaper than going out and buying a whole new antenna along with you then have the `leftovers' that you can use for other projects where `sealing' the covered point is worthwhile. (If you have a friend, or friends, that are having the same problem then it effectively becomes even cheaper and maybe more `worthwhile?' )])

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {GRIN!}
 

sony

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
203
chgomonitor said:
I also use heavy duty, UV rated (outdoor) cable ties around the snap-in juncture clips to hold them in snapped-in position. Narrow style fiberglass strapping tape at all the joints and junctures also helps. Almost nothing will save you from Chicago winters, LOL. - Ted
Never heard of UV protected cable ties. The ones I use will disentgrate after a few years. Where do you get these UV ties and what are the choices of color?
 

sony

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
203
Halfpint said:
Yep! TeRayCodA probably left it off because it both too obvious and maybe a bit of a PITA to draw it in again. (BTW, TeRayCodA, *nice* drawing!)

My first thought after considering just how long even the best electrical tape usually lasts even when `lovingly applied' was to substitute some heatshrink tubing for the tape. They have some out now that has an `adhesive / sealant' that is activated when it's shrunk that should make it almost permanent along with also looking better. (You can get the *good* 3M `dual wall' FP-301 series 2:1 tubing in 4' chunks in Black, Blue, Clear, Red, White, and Yellow for $3.39 for the 1/2" size and $3.63 for the 3/4" size with smaller sizes even cheaper. The EPS-200 (2:1 shrink ratio) and EPS-300 (3:1 shrink ratio) adhesive lined tubing is, of course, more expensive and only comes, at least from where *I* buy it, in 6" black pieces. [A pack of 14 pieces of the EPS-200 1/2" tubing costs $16.95 and the EPS-300 in the same size and number of pieces costs $25.95. Still... That's 7' of tubing and even *if* one uses even as much as half that it's cheaper than going out and buying a whole new antenna along with you then have the `leftovers' that you can use for other projects where `sealing' the covered point is worthwhile. (If you have a friend, or friends, that are having the same problem then it effectively becomes even cheaper and maybe more `worthwhile?' )])

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {GRIN!}
All of this special UV protective ties and black UV electrical tape where do you buy these and what's the cost of these two items?
Does anyone have pics of these two items?
 

sony

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
203
TeRayCodA said:
Ok,Folks;
There seems to be some misunderstanding about how to reinforce the "Scantenna" in high wind areas.
I made a crude drawing to help clear up what is needed to be done for "high wind"survival.
Hope this helps,good luck!
Spirial tape about 1 inch apart withThat black electric tape but how long will that black electric tape last?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top