The Scantenna Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeRayCodA

Ok,Folks;
There seems to be some misunderstanding about how to reinforce the "Scantenna" in high wind areas.
I made a crude drawing to help clear up what is needed to be done for "high wind"survival.
Hope this helps,good luck!

Attachments

• scantenna reinforcement.jpg
    scantenna reinforcement.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,142
Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
At the risk of sounding like Yoda, to the Wiki this should go - lost this will get too easily (hi). It's good information.

73s Mike

sony

TeRayCodA said:
Ok,Folks;
There seems to be some misunderstanding about how to reinforce the "Scantenna" in high wind areas.
I made a crude drawing to help clear up what is needed to be done for "high wind"survival.

Shouldn't the top vertical element also be spiral wrapped like the bottom one?

chgomonitor

Silent Key
Scantenna Reinforcing

I also use heavy duty, UV rated (outdoor) cable ties around the snap-in juncture clips to hold them in snapped-in position. Narrow style fiberglass strapping tape at all the joints and junctures also helps. Almost nothing will save you from Chicago winters, LOL. - Ted

TeRayCodA

sony said:
Yes, I was only showing that for clarity of the drawing.Wrap the entire length of the fiberglass rod.
Updated drawing uploaded !
Thanks !

Last edited:

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
sony said:
Yep! TeRayCodA probably left it off because it both too obvious and maybe a bit of a PITA to draw it in again. (BTW, TeRayCodA, *nice* drawing!)

My first thought after considering just how long even the best electrical tape usually lasts even when `lovingly applied' was to substitute some heatshrink tubing for the tape. They have some out now that has an `adhesive / sealant' that is activated when it's shrunk that should make it almost permanent along with also looking better. (You can get the *good* 3M `dual wall' FP-301 series 2:1 tubing in 4' chunks in Black, Blue, Clear, Red, White, and Yellow for $3.39 for the 1/2" size and $3.63 for the 3/4" size with smaller sizes even cheaper. The EPS-200 (2:1 shrink ratio) and EPS-300 (3:1 shrink ratio) adhesive lined tubing is, of course, more expensive and only comes, at least from where *I* buy it, in 6" black pieces. [A pack of 14 pieces of the EPS-200 1/2" tubing costs $16.95 and the EPS-300 in the same size and number of pieces costs $25.95. Still... That's 7' of tubing and even *if* one uses even as much as half that it's cheaper than going out and buying a whole new antenna along with you then have the `leftovers' that you can use for other projects where `sealing' the covered point is worthwhile. (If you have a friend, or friends, that are having the same problem then it effectively becomes even cheaper and maybe more `worthwhile?' )])

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {GRIN!}

sony

chgomonitor said:
I also use heavy duty, UV rated (outdoor) cable ties around the snap-in juncture clips to hold them in snapped-in position. Narrow style fiberglass strapping tape at all the joints and junctures also helps. Almost nothing will save you from Chicago winters, LOL. - Ted
Never heard of UV protected cable ties. The ones I use will disentgrate after a few years. Where do you get these UV ties and what are the choices of color?

sony

Halfpint said:
Yep! TeRayCodA probably left it off because it both too obvious and maybe a bit of a PITA to draw it in again. (BTW, TeRayCodA, *nice* drawing!)

My first thought after considering just how long even the best electrical tape usually lasts even when `lovingly applied' was to substitute some heatshrink tubing for the tape. They have some out now that has an `adhesive / sealant' that is activated when it's shrunk that should make it almost permanent along with also looking better. (You can get the *good* 3M `dual wall' FP-301 series 2:1 tubing in 4' chunks in Black, Blue, Clear, Red, White, and Yellow for $3.39 for the 1/2" size and $3.63 for the 3/4" size with smaller sizes even cheaper. The EPS-200 (2:1 shrink ratio) and EPS-300 (3:1 shrink ratio) adhesive lined tubing is, of course, more expensive and only comes, at least from where *I* buy it, in 6" black pieces. [A pack of 14 pieces of the EPS-200 1/2" tubing costs $16.95 and the EPS-300 in the same size and number of pieces costs $25.95. Still... That's 7' of tubing and even *if* one uses even as much as half that it's cheaper than going out and buying a whole new antenna along with you then have the `leftovers' that you can use for other projects where `sealing' the covered point is worthwhile. (If you have a friend, or friends, that are having the same problem then it effectively becomes even cheaper and maybe more `worthwhile?' )])

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {GRIN!}

All of this special UV protective ties and black UV electrical tape where do you buy these and what's the cost of these two items?
Does anyone have pics of these two items?

sony

TeRayCodA said:
Ok,Folks;

Spirial tape about 1 inch apart withThat black electric tape but how long will that black electric tape last?

Status
Not open for further replies.